Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone ever have a Powerbook (or other mac) replaced by Apple?

Anyone ever have a Powerbook (or other mac) replaced by Apple?
killabyte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2005, 09:09 PM

Basically, my Powerbook was declared a lemon because the screen has failed twice, the logic board once, the hinges once, and the battery once. They are giving me a "new" laptop. I was curious if anyone had this procedure done before. My laptop was a Rev. A. Aluminum 15" Powerbook. I am hopeful I will get a new one, though. I dropped my Powerbook off with the Apple store today and they really didn't seem to know much about the procedure. How long did it take? What kind of computer did you end up with? Share your stories. I am without a Mac for now.

Quintessential
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2005, 09:21 PM

Yeah, I got a G4 PB through my school about 3 months ago. The screen went out after 3 days of use, I was watching a DVD and all the sudden it just went black. Backlight issue, I was told. It was fixed, I got it back, HDD failed about a week later. Sent it in, got it back, screen again.

They replaced it with the same make and model PB, though this one has worked flawlessly since the get-go.

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 23, 2005, 12:53 AM

I had a revision A 15" Powerboook with numerous problems, and Apple replaced it with a revision B, bumped up model. The newer one has been flawless. I didn't have to wait though. The Apple store I frequent made the swap.
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 02:20 PM

yes, numerous! A wallstreet they couldn't repair under applecare was replaced with a titanium 400mhz which was repaired several times and replaced, if I remember correctly twice(!) before they replaced it with a second generation titanium 550mhz which worked perfectly, except for some peeling paint. It was drawn out over a year though....ridiculous.

The procedure for making the exchange was always that they took my credit card number and then we cross shipped. They'd ship out a new one and I'd send back the old one.

grand mufti
Mar 24, 2005, 03:18 PM

o man im going though a replace as we speak. Its a long..long storie so ill make it quick. ibook G4 14.1 933 256 40gig combo. I took my ibook to the local apple store and they replaced a screen and a logic board and that didnt fix the prob. i got my book back unfixed and then emailed apple ( the jobs email gets **** done) told them what happeded and got a call the next day. sent my book to apple and got it back unfixed. got it back the same week. called the Corporate Executive Relations rep that was helpin me and she replaced my ibook with the new basic model 14inch and i upgraded it to the 15 inch powerbook for only 700 bucks! nice. i was this close >< to hatein apple forever! but it all worked out... well my PB is being shipped so we will see.

Forum Links
Forum Rules