Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Clicking noise from Combo Drive on 12"

Clicking noise from Combo Drive on 12"
shreddog
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2005, 10:19 AM

I have a 12" PB 1.2GHZ and occassionally when I put in a cd (haven't noticed it on a dvd yet), the drive will start making this ugly clicking noise. The disc will show up on the desktop, however, when I try to access it it just keeps spinning. If I eject it and re-insert it, it usually clears up the problem. It only happens intermittently. Is this a normal bug that a lot of people have or is it something I should get Apple to replace? I bought my PB in February this year so it still under warranty.

iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

bighead
Senior User
Mar 23, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by shreddog:
I have a 12" PB 1.2GHZ and occassionally when I put in a cd (haven't noticed it on a dvd yet), the drive will start making this ugly clicking noise. The disc will show up on the desktop, however, when I try to access it it just keeps spinning. If I eject it and re-insert it, it usually clears up the problem. It only happens intermittently. Is this a normal bug that a lot of people have or is it something I should get Apple to replace? I bought my PB in February this year so it still under warranty.

Doesn't sound right. I'd suggest taking it to a service provider or Apple store and have someone take a look at it.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2005, 12:36 PM

They made 1.2 PB's? If you're talking about the clicking when you insert the CD, that is very normal. If your saying that the CD ticks while it's spinning that's a problem. As for the CD not reading all the time, I know that for the 1+year I've had my 12" I've had a handful of times where I'd have to put in a CD twice, don't know the reason but it hardly warrants me sending the little bugger in for it. If you do live near an Apple tech, it wouldn't hurt to take it in and let them diagnose the problem, have you tried the Hardware test on your PB?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

shreddog  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2005, 01:08 PM

Oops. Typo 1.33Ghz. The clicking sound I'm talking about is after the disc has been inserted and is spinning. It was a weird sound. I've had the computer for about 2 months now and I've inserted a CD about 6 or 7 times and it has happened 3 times. Not a great percentage. I guess I'll take it down to the Apple store and see what one of the Geniuses has to say.
iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules