Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Amazon Denies iBook Rebate Claim......uh oh

Amazon Denies iBook Rebate Claim......uh oh (Page 2)
spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Centris650:
I've not gotten any email rejection letters or any confirmation emails either. I finally had to go online to check my rebate status. It says it's being processed. Sigh.
CALL rebatestatus.com. they will provide you a fictitious check number. call them again in a few days. repeat until you have three phone calls. make sure to get the names of who you speak to.

then complain through the better business bureau: http://complaints.bbb.org/welcome2.asp . rebatestatus.com is continental promotions group, located in scottsdale, az, i believe.

it took doing all of the above for me to receive my rebatestatus.com/amazon rebate. i bought the cell phone for which the rebate applied back in september. i received the rebate check (not the fictitious one initially supplied by the phone operators -- that one never arrived -- but a replacement) on january 26.

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 02:32 AM

Yeah same situation here, sent my rebate thanksgiving weekend. Called them 8 weeks after, they claimed they never recived any rebate?! I was in shock, luckily I had copies of everything. I gave them my info. over the phone and some how the customer service rep. made me a Template. Can she do this? As of now I'm still waiting for my rebate to come, the rep. told me that it should take another 8 weeks from the day I called, which was Jan. 16. Still processing...

SuhasG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 02:21 AM

I got my rebate check today!

I mailed my rebate form on 24th Nov , so it took 9 weeks. I had to call them couple of time and fax the form again.

Suhas

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 04:13 AM

Congrats Suhas! I guess you prolly wont be coming back to this forum any longer. Anyways I had a question, does processing mean that you have been approved and thus just waiting for the check?

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by idlewild27:
Congrats Suhas! I guess you prolly wont be coming back to this forum any longer. Anyways I had a question, does processing mean that you have been approved and thus just waiting for the check?
processing means you have an indeterminate time to wait while they can do anything they want. do keep in mind that they said they mailed a check to me on dec 20th yet clearly didn't (it has not arrived as of this date, and as the above post relates they sent another one on jan 26th in response to my BBB complaint which has since arrived)

SuhasG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2005, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by idlewild27:
I don't know exactly but when they say processing chances are they are preparing your check. Call them once in a week and also check whether your information is correctly entered into their database, in my case they entered wrong zip code so I corrected it , otherwise I could have gotten my check long back.

Anyway if you have submitted all required documents: Rebate form,Packing slip, Photocopy of UPC then I don't think there could be any problem.

Initially there was a bit of confusion at their end that rebate is not applicable for 12" iBook, so the refusal emails.

But now I think things are sorted out and I hope you should be getting your check.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2005, 05:57 PM

It took me six months, several phone calls, and many emails to get my OSX 10.2 rebate from Amazon. Persistence, bloody mindedness, and a whole lot of time on your hands seems to be the key to prying rebate money out of Amazon.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 07:37 PM

Here is what I do when someone tries to sell me something with a rebate:

I tell them or write them that I will buy the item at the price after the rebate and that they can do the paperwork themselves. If they say no, I take my business elsewhere. I also make sure to right the company stating my opinions regarding the rebate and the hassle we folks go through to fulfill the requirements.

Dudes, its is simple. Just don't do it.

NNmark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 11:23 AM

I've sent in 2 rebates to Amazon that they refused. They said I did not include the bar code. I did send the bar code - I made duplicates and resent everything including the bar code. They denied me again saying I didn't send in the bar codes. I wrote them saying that I would not buy anything from Amazon that included a rebate. They sent me a $10 amazon credit - but I still refuse to purchase anything with a rebate through Amazon.

ggirton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2005, 06:41 PM

I am so sorry to hear that Amazon is still screwing people on rebates. I had the same experience with a photoshop upgrade a couple years ago, and vowed I would never fall for an Amazon rebate again. What a stupid idea, making you ship the bar code back "proving that you purchased it". Isn't that the point of electronic commerce, that THEY ALREADY KNOW? We don't have to jump through these hoops anymore, irght?

In fact, it simply means this: Amazon is not trustworthy.

too bad.
a penny here a penny there, pretty soon you're talking two cents

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2005, 06:57 PM

do note that amazon is not the outfit refusing/scamming people on the rebates. the responsible subcontracted company is Continental Promotions Group, aka rebatestatus.com. COMPLAIN TO THE BBB IF YOU WANT THEM TO CHANGE THEIR WAYS. lamenting here will not get you your rebate.

tedgrigg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2005, 11:01 PM

I hope this all hits the fan.

I bought an advance purchase of OS 10.1 (I think that was the correct version) from Amazon about 2 years ago for a really good price. I think it was $80 or something like that. After waiting well beyond the scheduled delivery, I called them several times. But they simply refused to ship the product.

So I vowed then that I would never again purchase anything from them. There are just too many good places to buy to put up with that kind of abuse. There is MacMall, OWC, MacZone ad infinitum. They honor their commitments. Not so with Amazon.com.

As far as blaming the rebate fulfillment house, that is lame. Amazon loves rebates and suppliers make more money by trying every trick in the book not to honor a rebate. And when they are forced to pay by treading the fine line of the law, they will take their sweet time paying you. So Amazon blesses these suppliers by renewing their contracts with them.

Rebates have lost their allure, and customers know that rebates are nearly worthless when compared to strait discounts.

Just refuse to buy from abusers and reward the customer oriented stores by giving them your business.
( Last edited by tedgrigg; Feb 6, 2005 at 11:20 PM. )
The Professor

sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 01:22 AM

to all who are deperately waiting.....

i just received an email from rebatestatus that my rebate cheque has been mailed to me on feb 9. (havn't reveived the cheque yet though).

the rebate form was sent in mid december 04, and i didn't make any phone calls/send emails in the meantime.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by sgb:
to all who are deperately waiting.....

i just received an email from rebatestatus that my rebate cheque has been mailed to me on feb 9. (havn't reveived the cheque yet though).

the rebate form was sent in mid december 04, and i didn't make any phone calls/send emails in the meantime.
good luck with that. they claimed that they mailed my rebate check on dec 20. it never arrived, and as far as i am concerned was pure fiction.

sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 05:18 AM

thanks @spiky_dog for your comment. did they send you another check? and i was foolishly thinking it was a nice start of a friday morning with a check on the way

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 12:35 PM

lol i sent my rebate beginning of thanksgiving week, and it's still processing! Man im afraid ill never recieve my check, if they also try and pull the "We-sent-the check, but-it-got-lost" deal. sigh

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 01:07 PM

thanks @spiky_dog for your comment. did they send you another check? and i was foolishly thinking it was a nice start of a friday morning with a check on the way
yes, they sent another check which i received and cashed, but not until i got the BBB involved by filing a complaint against them (and even then they dragged their feet, with this check in "preprocessing" for a solid week after they promised to send it).

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2005, 02:12 AM

I've placed a half dozen calls at this point and there's still no traction. Each time (up until the most recent call) they've said that it all looks good and they'll pass it up the food chain...and each time, there's nothing new.

On Thursday, I called and the yahoo I talked to on the phone told me to fax a copy of my receipt. Which I did, along with a quasi-nasty note, a copy of the UPC, and a copy of the original rebate form.

I was very patient at first, but at this point, it's getting unbearable...

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by John123:
I've placed a half dozen calls at this point and there's still no traction. Each time (up until the most recent call) they've said that it all looks good and they'll pass it up the food chain...and each time, there's nothing new.

On Thursday, I called and the yahoo I talked to on the phone told me to fax a copy of my receipt. Which I did, along with a quasi-nasty note, a copy of the UPC, and a copy of the original rebate form.

I was very patient at first, but at this point, it's getting unbearable...
i must sound like a broken record...

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
CALL rebatestatus.com. they will provide you a fictitious check number. call them again in a few days. repeat until you have three phone calls. make sure to get the names of who you speak to.

then complain through the better business bureau: http://complaints.bbb.org/welcome2.asp . rebatestatus.com is continental promotions group, located in scottsdale, az, i believe.

sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 02:35 AM

update on the reabte check situation: i GOT the check!!!!

rebate stuff sent in mid december, rebate check received mid february. no phone calls or emails from me in between. just waiting and hoping.

i'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone else.

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 02:46 AM

update on the reabte check situation: i GOT the check!!!!

rebate stuff sent in mid december, rebate check received mid february. no phone calls or emails from me in between. just waiting and hoping.

i'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone else.
Sweet congrats, well my check was finally mailed out on valentines day and I got an email on the 16th saying that my check was processed and sent. Well All I can do now is wait and hope that the check actually reaches my house. Well just wondering if anyone knows the wait period for the check to actually get to your house. I know it can range from where you live, but an average would be nice. thanks!

sgb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2005, 07:04 AM

the email that the check was sent came on the 9th, the actual check was at my house on the 17th.

paingold
Feb 24, 2005, 01:33 AM

I ordered my iBook on November 5, delivered Nov 19. I sent my $150 rebate form the following week. 12 weeks later I finally get my check. I thought for sure I was going to get the shaft on this one

idlewild27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2005, 02:56 AM

Yes finally got my damn check today! After a grueling 4 months with rebatestatus.com, it's finally over. Well I hope you guys get yours!!

historylme
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2005, 01:10 PM

Yeah, I got mine yesterday. Good look for you guys still waiting.

RichieZ
Feb 25, 2005, 06:45 PM

got mine today too, took the bastards long enough

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2005, 10:02 PM

Finally got my rebate today!

Took two phone calls and almost 4 months

(Experience noted for future amazon rebate offers)

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 01:03 PM

I got mine last week.... after about 4 months.
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 03:50 PM

Got mine also after 3 months...

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 06:46 PM

My check was postmarked on 2/14 but I didn't get it until a week or 2 later. Man, they took their time.
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

2004G4
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2005, 03:48 PM

I just got mine a couple days ago after multiple emails, faxes and calls. Took about 4 months..what a hassle. No more Amazon mail in rebates for me.

jmatero  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2005, 12:26 PM

geez... I'm confused... I purchased mine from Amazon late november and got the rebate check 2 weeks later. Never had a problem with Amazon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules