Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Scam Alert.

Scam Alert.
Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2005, 03:30 PM

I just received a mailing to buy a lottery ticket to win a home in Beverly Hills, California. It loked like a good mailing, professionally produced. It had both a BBB logo and a California sweepstakes tracking number in it. It was also a fundraiser for a reasonable charity.

I logged into the California state website and ran the number, it was a registered lottery. Ticket price and prize list matched. BBB site had company listed and they had an excellent record with many comments.

But I noticed that the address and phone number did not match. I have reported this to the USPS (mail fraud) and both Michigan (my residence) and California police.

If any of you get this in your mail (or any other, really), check to see if you have the real one.

hayesk
Mar 28, 2005, 05:22 PM

Good job. Generally, I wouldn't buy any of the tickets unless I can actually go visit the home and buy it there.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2005, 06:07 PM

I got one of these in the mail today also.

Went promptly into the recycle basket.

Forum Links
Forum Rules