Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Koran scholar: US will cease to exist in 2007

Koran scholar: US will cease to exist in 2007
InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Apr 1, 2005, 02:13 AM

A thorough analysis of the Koran reveals that the US will cease to exist in the year 2007, according to research published by Palestinian scholar Ziad Silwadi.

The study, which has caught the attention of millions of Muslims worldwide, is based on in-depth interpretations of various verses in the Koran. It predicts that the US will be hit by a tsunami larger than that which recently struck southeast Asia.

"The tsunami waves are a minor rehearsal in comparison with what awaits the US in 2007," the researcher concluded in his study. "The Holy Koran warns against the Omnipotent Allah's force. A great sin will cause a huge flood in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans."
April fools? Or should we start building an ark?

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 02:19 AM

Various Christian wackadoos have predicted the end of the whole damn world at various dates. None of them have been right yet, so I doubt this guy will do any better.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by InterfaceGuy:

Even if he was serious are you really going to take it seriously.

Remember all those nuts that thought the year 2000 Jesus was coming to judge everyone?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 02:29 AM

jebus said something like i will come back within your lifetime.. then he accended...and we haven't heard from him since...except on toast

but i know *this* is the generation it will happen...so go nuts with suvs and drillin for oil in alaska...the rapture is a comin!

roberto blanco
Senior User
Apr 1, 2005, 02:59 AM

i wonder how many times idiots like this have to be proven wrong in order for people to stop believing in this kind of crap...

life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators - r. dawkins

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 03:03 AM

A thorough analysis of the June 1999 issue of Hustler magazine has revealed that I am the one true Ruler Of The Universe.
Bow down and obey!
/mal

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 03:13 AM

2007 according to what calendar? Unless the arctic and antarctic ice completely melts within the next 2 years, I don't see how we are going to be pwned by this "killer tsunami". And what about Canada and Mexico? Certainly they would also be terribly affected by such an event. Or is this tsunami targeted exclusively at "infidels"?

Seems like a bunch of crap to me.
Genius. You know who.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2005, 03:33 AM

Hello, Political/War Lounge?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by malvolio:
A thorough analysis of the June 1999 issue of Hustler magazine has revealed that I am the one true Ruler Of The Universe.
Bow down and obey!
Edit.
( Last edited by Jim Paradise; Feb 28, 2010 at 06:49 AM. )

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 04:46 AM

Originally posted by nforcer:
2007 according to what calendar? Unless the arctic and antarctic ice completely melts within the next 2 years, I don't see how we are going to be pwned by this "killer tsunami". And what about Canada and Mexico? Certainly they would also be terribly affected by such an event. Or is this tsunami targeted exclusively at "infidels"?

Seems like a bunch of crap to me.

even if the all the ice melts, i believe only 2 percent of earths water is in the icecaps.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
even if the all the ice melts, i believe only 2 percent of earths water is in the icecaps.
Perhaps, but small changes can lead to bigger changes in the global scheme of things from what I seem to remember reading. Unlikely as this would be to cause a "devastating tsunami" it could cause flooding in some areas along the coast line and result in changes in weather patterns. And of course if there is ever enough trapped heat to melt the icecaps, it will probably be significantly warmer in what we consider livable areas now.
Genius. You know who.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2005, 06:51 AM

Originally posted by nforcer:
Well, there is that one island over near Africa's western shore. I forget its name, but something like half of its landmass has actually broken free and is now held there by friction alone. When it falls -and it ill fall someday; we just don't know when- it's expected to create just such a tsunami. That said, we haven't been able to pinpoint when it will happen any better than 'sometime in the next 10,000 years'.

However, as you've pointed out, which calendar will this be? If the date is 2007 on the Islamic calendar, then it won't happen for some 600 years, at which point no one who was ever able to hear him will be alive to point and laugh if and when it's wrong.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Apr 1, 2005, 07:34 AM

Well, there's quite a number of very distinct prophecies ascribed to Mohammed which aren't in the Muslim's Qur'an. There are no prohecies in the Qur'an which explicitly mention any modern-day nation, nor can one deduce from the Qur'an anything akin to what this person has.

If it's the sayings of Mohammed we're dealing with, then that is a different story, and you could interpret the many prophecies to mean that the US will be ****ered up pretty soon by the rest of the world But... that is a given when one is aware of how nations arise and fall; and in this NWO set-up by the US, it's only a matter of time before the rest of us fight back against US tyranny.

Anyway, all nations come and go, the US is no different.
sanathana sarathi
si tacuisses philosophus mansisses

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Location: Shipped to another country by the US to be tortured so they can avoid Int. law.
Apr 1, 2005, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by roberto blanco:
i wonder how many times idiots like this have to be proven wrong in order for people to stop believing in this kind of crap...
Perhaps if you put his statements in perspective, you might realise why he said it. I'm guessing he lives in Palestine, so I'm fairly sure his life is not of the best (not sure how many enjoy living under violence, genocide, etc). That perhaps explans the need for people to look for hope in such dire conditions, and him being a Muslim, combined with the current US aggression against Muslim countries and support of Israel, it's not hard to see why he turns to his religion.

He's probably wrong, but certainly not an idiot.
sanathana sarathi

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 1, 2005, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by ironknee:
jebus said something like i will come back within your lifetime..
No, no he didn't.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2005, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
No, no he didn't.
When is he coming back?
sanathana sarathi

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2005, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by SubGeniux:
When is he coming back?
He mentioned a time of strife, and said that 'by no means will this generation pass away' before he came again, but it is unclear as to which generation he was talking about: that of his contemporaries (implying that the strife would come soon), or from some future time. He didn't specify a date for it. It seems that ironknee has chosen to interpret it as the generation of his contemporaries.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Oranges for Six
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2005, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Well, there is that one island over near Africa's western shore. I forget its name, but ..
Tenerife.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by InterfaceGuy:

The West Coast is LONG overdue for a massive quake as big or bigger then the one that hit on boxing day. So there is some merit to the predictions, because from Alask to LA, the big big quake that is overdue will create a wave that would affect everything on the west coast which sucks LOL because I live here.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 1, 2005, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by SubGeniux:
When is he coming back?
God says no man knows.
He mentioned a time of strife, and said that 'by no means will this generation pass away' before he came again, but it is unclear as to which generation he was talking about: that of his contemporaries (implying that the strife would come soon), or from some future time. He didn't specify a date for it. It seems that ironknee has chosen to interpret it as the generation of his contemporaries.
The Bible DID say the generation that sees the rebuilding of Israel will also see his return.

Who knows.

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2005, 08:59 AM

Well, there is that one island over near Africa's western shore.
Its called "Cumbre Vieja":

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-mtd082301.php

dav
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 09:41 AM

i just watched a show on pbs about the tsunami which hit indonesia (nova: wave that shook the world). at the end it was mentioned there is a large fault line off the pacific coast due for major earthquake which would send a tsunami toward oregon and washington. i believe the geologists said from past earthquakes of this same fault line, the average was one major quake every 500 years. currently it has been 300 years since the last one. so anytime in the next 200 years is a good guess.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2005, 09:42 AM

Anyone remember when the planets were aligned in the 70's? Nothing happened then, either.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by dav:
i just watched a show on pbs about the tsunami which hit indonesia (nova: wave that shook the world). at the end it was mentioned there is a large fault line off the pacific coast due for major earthquake which would send a tsunami toward oregon and washington. i believe the geologists said from past earthquakes of this same fault line, the average was one major quake every 500 years. currently it has been 300 years since the last one. so anytime in the next 200 years is a good guess.
The type of quake the West Coast is expecting is actually already overdue. It will run from Alaska to Washington State, last for 10-20 minutes and be over a 9. The largest known quake to ever happen in the last 500 years was off the coast of Vancouver Island up to alaska. Scientiest est it was a 9.9 and it created a wave that wiped out much of Japan hundreds of years ago. Vancouver, Seattle, San Fransico, LA would all be wiped out.

The origin of this danger lies in the Cascadia Subduction Zone, a 1,400 kilometre-long faultline that runs southward from Alaska along the west coast of the Queen Charlotte Islands and Vancouver Island to Oregon. Along this line, three different tectonic plates--the North American Plate, the Pacific Plate and the smaller Juan de Fuca Plate--join together like pieces in a gargantuan puzzle. But the situation is not static. The Pacific Ocean's bottom, spreading eastward at 4.3 centimetres a year (the speed that fingernails grow) is sliding beneath--or subducting-- under the westward-drifting continent of North America. Research in the past 20 years has found evidence that this motion is currently stuck. When it is released somewhere along the subducting zone--either offshore like the 1949 quake near the northern tip of the Queen Charlotte Islands that registered 8.0 or inland like the 1872 quake beneath Abbotsford that registered 7.5--the potential for disaster is considerable. A subduction quake off Mexico's coast in 1985 killed 9,000 people

http://www.thetyee.ca/News/2005/01/03/BigOneHere/

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseu...es/cur-pn.html

http://www.his-forever.com/now_3800_...d_counting.htm
( Last edited by Athens; Apr 1, 2005 at 09:54 AM. )
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by starman:
Anyone remember when the planets were aligned in the 70's? Nothing happened then, either.

Mike
Didn't it also happen in the 90's?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2005, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Didn't it also happen in the 90's?
You're thinking of Rosanne and Tom Arnold getting married.

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2005, 11:32 AM

sanathana sarathi

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 1, 2005, 11:44 AM

It's fresh water though, and the desalinization of the oceans could cause the food chain to be upheaved and we would all die of starvation.

IRONIC eh?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2005, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by roberto blanco:
Idiots will always believe in this kind of crap ... they can't help it

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 1, 2005, 12:04 PM

I'm wondering if there is a correlation between these idiots and those idiots who predict the demise of Apple in the near future?

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 12:10 PM

Holy cow you said something creative and funny!!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

zizban
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005, 12:47 PM

WE"RE ALL GONNA DIE

RUNNNNNNNN!!!!!!
"In darkness there is strength, therefore strength is darkness."

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 02:29 PM

The day Apple gets more than 5% market share, the world will end...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 02:36 PM

see jebus did say that

edit: well would i be the first to interpret it as within our generation? I think not...there are circles of people who are planning for his coming... anyday now
( Last edited by ironknee; Apr 1, 2005 at 02:47 PM. )

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 02:38 PM

I have no fear because the lord is with me. Jesus said that we would be tested.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I have no fear because the lord is with me.
What the hell is he doing down there? Can you tell him that he is supposed to appear in a torta in Mexico and he is LATE as usual!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 03:07 PM

When I saw the title I was hoping this meant Canada was going to invade. At least we'll get some beach-front property.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2005, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
I have no fear because the lord is with me. Jesus said that we would be tested.
I have no fear because this guy is clearly a frickin' nutjob.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Eriamjh:
The day Apple gets more than 5% market share, the world will end...
Day Apple gets 5% marketshare, Microsoft stock crashes bringing the US economy with it. Hey it could happen...

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 04:10 PM

Even if 50% of the water was in the icecaps, ice is always 90% submerged in the water it floats. Moreover, water shrinks when going from solid to liquid. The water level should not rise.

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 04:21 PM

Koran scholar: US will cease to exist in 2007 [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey, Oklahoma's centennial is in 2007. I hope this big wave happens after that. Although, I guess Oklahoma's good either way...

Nevermind.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2005, 04:30 PM

The Mayans said it was 2012. Well, shucks.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2005, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
Even if 50% of the water was in the icecaps, ice is always 90% submerged in the water it floats. Moreover, water shrinks when going from solid to liquid. The water level should not rise.
I suggest you throw some ice cubes in a full glass of water som time and then explain to us how the water level didn't rise.

The Southern ice cap is on land.

deej5871
Senior User
Apr 1, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by analogika:
I suggest you throw some ice cubes in a full glass of water som time and then explain to us how the water level didn't rise.

If the ice is already in the water (which is what he was talking about) how is putting ice into water a good comparison? A better comparison would be have a glass of water with ice cubes in it and let them melt and see if the water has risen.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2005, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by deej5871:
If the ice is already in the water (which is what he was talking about) how is putting ice into water a good comparison? A better comparison would be have a glass of water with ice cubes in it and let them melt and see if the water has risen.
Because...

Originally posted by analogika:

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 1, 2005, 06:36 PM

I find it interesting that this "scholar" decided a tsunami would do in the U.S. in early 2005...just a few months after a REAL tsunami did in a HUGE number of Moslems. And Hindus. And just about everyone else there, too.

He's as full of it as he can get, and he's "just trying to get attention." We should do what you do when a 2-year-old "trys to get attention." Ignore him. Hatemongers deserve nothing more.

Edited spelling. Stupid finger tricks again...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2005, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
I find it interesting that this "scholar" decided a tsunami would do in the U.S. in early 2005...just a few months after a REAL tsunami did in a HUGE number of Moslems. And Hindus. And just about everyone else there, too.

He's as full of it as he can get, and he's "just trying to get attention." We should do what you do when a 2-year-old "trys to get attention." Ignore him. Hatemongers deserve nothing more.

Edited spelling. Stupid finger tricks again...
Kinda like the Lounge

Mike

SubGeniux
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2005, 07:09 PM

He's no different to other loonies who make such wild prophecies. Just look at Jesus, and the dozes of Jewish ones, nutters.
sanathana sarathi

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by deej5871:
Don't they teach any science in schools any more?!
Water, unlike the vast majority of substances, expands when it freezes and contracts when it melts (as previously noted by The Godfather).
So as the ice melts, the water level goes down.
/mal

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 1, 2005, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
Don't they teach any science in schools any more?!
Water, unlike the vast majority of substances, expands when it freezes and contracts when it melts (as previously noted by The Godfather).
So as the ice melts, the water level goes down.
wha!???

Forum Links
Forum Rules