Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The new Jetta

The new Jetta (Page 2)
ink
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by villalobos:
First of all, reading the VWvortex for reliable data is probably not the best way to go. I was subscriber at CR but i don't recall them making a distinction between the VWs made in Mexico/Brazil or in Germany : not saying they did not, just not remembering reading that. And since I am no longer a subscriber, i can't check it .
They didn't make the distinction in so many words. They simply started giving black circles to VWs after the new beetles began fabrication there. You'll notice that the Golfs and Jettas also received low marks after that point. Volkwagen upped the warranty to 50k miles/4 years on the 2003 models to combat the problems.

They base those marks on subscriber surveys.

I've had my 2003 Golf TDI in many times; but just for the annoying 'check engine' light. It hasn't happened for almost 6 months now so... (knock on wood). I'm sure my latest survey didn't help their score at all.

D. Hendrickson
Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Apr 1, 2005, 03:50 AM

Originally posted by Link:
The moth ball smell? Ithought BMWs had that too..
no, the cheap plastic and vinyl smell.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 1, 2005, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by D. Hendrickson:
no, the cheap plastic and vinyl smell.
Oh, that Actually, the one thing that creeps me out in japanese cars is the cloth design they use.. it looks like really cheap cordoroy.. But the last honda I saw that sort of material in was made in like the early 90s.. so I don't think they still use that..

I'm not much against japanese cars myself.. they're cheap and according to some, last forever.. plus they have a REALLY zealous crowd like creative does..

Whenever people talk about how hondas/toyotas last forever, etc etc.. I always wonder why I see more old 'buckets' on the street than old hondas..
Aloha

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2005, 09:27 AM

Unfortunately you cannot buy the BMW 1 Series in the US, yet. It should get there in 2007. It's already available in Europe and it looks like this:

And that's the interior:

If I had the money to buy a car, this would be it.
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

ink
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2005, 02:15 PM

The'll call it the BMW Cruiser? Looks nice :-)

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2005, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by ink:
The'll call it the BMW Cruiser? Looks nice :-)
It actually looks more like a sports car in real life. I had the chance to test drive it two weeks ago. Very nice car - a real BMW!
I've read somewhere , that it will be called the 2 Series in the US when it comes out 2007
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2005, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by HOMBRESINIESTRO:
It actually looks more like a sports car in real life. I had the chance to test drive it two weeks ago. Very nice car - a real BMW!
I've read somewhere , that it will be called the 2 Series in the US when it comes out 2007
Why would it be called the 2 series?
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Forum Links
Forum Rules