Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Reinstallation of Panther

Reinstallation of Panther
abo
Apr 6, 2005, 07:15 AM

I have a Powerbook 15". It looks like I need to reinstall Panther. I put in the Panther and at one of the screens it says that I can't install it because I have a later version on the Powerbook. Normally, I thought I could click on the "Options" button in the bottom left to have a clean install, but the button can't be clicked.

Any ideas what I can do?

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 08:58 AM

Did you actually select the drive you wanted to install to? If you didn't, the options button won't show at all. Alternatively, you can just use disk utility to erase the drive first then attempt to run the installer.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

abo  (op)
Apr 6, 2005, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Did you actually select the drive you wanted to install to? If you didn't, the options button won't show at all. Alternatively, you can just use disk utility to erase the drive first then attempt to run the installer.
I try to select the drive (the Hard Driver - there's no partition), but it says I can't install there because it has a more recent version of Panther.

Erasing the disk first ==> I'd hate to have to do it !

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 10:06 AM

If you select the drive, is there an option to do the archive and install? Even though the message says you can't install over a newer system, you should be able to archive and install preserving your user and network settings.

abo  (op)
Apr 6, 2005, 10:43 PM

Well things have gone from bad to worse. When I tried to redo the process, my Powerbook didn't book at all. Nada. It stays on the grey screen with the Apple logo. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to recognize the Apple OS X Disk anymore.

I did manage to boot up in T (terminal) mode and copy all my root directory to another hard disk, so something is still there, and now I could theoretically erase the hard disk - although now I'm even unsure that would help.

Any suggestions anyone?

abo  (op)
Apr 6, 2005, 10:53 PM

OK the Powerbook did manage to boot in C mode, so I'm at least back in the Install OS X program.

I'm now on the "Select a Destination" screen of the "Install Mac OS X" program. The Macintosh HD icon has an exclamation point in a red circle, and when I try to click on it, it says "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. A newer version of Mac OS X is installed." I don't see anywhere where I can choose the type of installation. In fact, on the left, there is a list of steps in the installation: Introduction, Read Me, License, Select Destination, Installation Type, Installing, and Finish Up. The small blue circle, indicating where I am, is on Select Destination. I imagine, if the program is logical, that I am allowed to choose the type of installation only in the next step, Installation Type. But I can't get there! The "Options..." button is also unavailable. Bizarre.

abo  (op)
Apr 6, 2005, 11:22 PM

I'm trying now to boot up in Mac OX X v10.2 (Install Disk 1), but it doesn't boot, not even when pressing down C at the beginning.

abo  (op)
Apr 6, 2005, 11:39 PM

...and now, while it refuses to boot up from my OS X v10.2 disk (even when I press down C), it boots up to what was my normal screen.

When I click on the "Install Mac OS X" icon on the OS X v10.2 disk, I get a button saying "Restart". I click on that, and the computer reboots, but it reboots to my normal screen.

It's like this evil ghost has taken control of my computer and doesn't want me to reinstall, because that would kill it.

abo  (op)
Apr 7, 2005, 02:41 PM

The latest strange thing the Powerbook is doing is, on start-up, it's going to an all-black screen with the words

Darwin/BSD (PBook-G4.local) (console)

login:

written.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 03:02 PM

Are you able to start up from the CD holding down 'c' key, or by holding option on restart and selecting the device that way?

abo  (op)
Apr 7, 2005, 03:27 PM

No. I found this thread way back on MacNN

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...and+v+or+cmd+v

where it says you should hold "c" until you get the twirly thing and then hold "cmd" and "v", but that's not working either.

Before I get the twirly thing I get a blank screen except for an old-style looking folder in the middle of the screen with a question mark alternating with an OS X smily face. The question mark and smily face alternate ten or twenty times, and my sense is that then it begins to boot using the hard drive. My computer does boot up now - I guess that's a victory of sorts, but I still would like to reinstall or do something that will make it work.

abo  (op)
Apr 7, 2005, 03:57 PM

Well it looks like it's working now!

My problem with the start-up was that I was apparently using the wrong disk (duh!). I was using the "Mac OS X v 10.2 Install Disc 1". But I think (can't be sure) this is an upgrade disk, so one can't boot up on it. I think I should have been using the original disk "Powerbook G4 15-inch and 17-inch Softward Install and Restore" which came with the computer, which I found under a stack of books since I thought once I had the upgrade (10.2 and 10.3) disks I wouldn't need it any more.

So that explains the "C" not working and the alternating question mark and smiley face.

Anyway, I think what solved my original problem was the advice which I found here

http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html

where it explained how to reset the NVRAM.

1. At startup, hold down Option + Command + O + F
2. Type in "reset-nvram" , hit Return, "set-defaults", hit return, and then "reset-all" and hit Return again. (Don't use quotes, as I have done here.)
3. To exit Open Firmware, type "bye" or "mac-boot" (No quotes).

I'm going to try lots of software tonight (especially Mail, which was the first program to start misbehaving).

By the way, for those in France, I suspect (but am not sure) that the origin of the problem was the program installed by the French tax service on my computer in order to file my tax form online. At least, that's the only thing I've done that was the least unusual over the past week. Any other French people who have installed this program?

Anyway thanks Optimus for your suggestions. I know it's not easy for you to hang in there when you know you're only getting 20% of the story, but having someone out there did help me. Thanks !

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2005, 04:51 PM

Hey not a problem, just glad you have it working now

Forum Links
Forum Rules