Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Burning an mp4 to DVD with Toast Titanium

Burning an mp4 to DVD with Toast Titanium
hoopz
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2005, 03:29 PM

I'm having a problem burning a DVD with Toast Titanium.

I have a 2.38 Gb file in .mp4 format. I wish to make a DVD of it. But when I try to burn it as a DVD, Toast refuses, complaining that I need at least 7.8 Gb on the recordable disc (I have a single-layer DVD burner, so 4.8 Gb (?) is my limit; still, that is well over the file size of the video I'm trying to burn).

Surely there is a simple setting that I have overlooked, or perhaps I am simply ill-informed about the specifics of burning DVDs. What am I missing here?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2005, 04:10 PM

Mpeg 2 is the compression format used by DVDs, not .mp4. So to burn a DVD, Toast has to convert your .mp4 file to the right format, which just happens to increase its size. There is no workaround for this, your media file is too long to fit onto a single DVD.

Chris

vasu
Senior User
Apr 9, 2005, 04:19 PM

are you trying to make a dvd-data disc, or a dvd-video disc that'd play in a dvd player?

In other words, do you want a mac/pc data disc that has a .mp4 file in it, or do you want to convert the video file into mpeg2 dvd format so it'll play back on a dvd player?

What you're trying to do in Toast right now is the latter, and 2.48gb converted into mpeg2 (less compressed) is going to be too big for a dvd.

If all you want to do is burn a Data disc, then go to the data tab (instead of the video tab) and burn a mac/pc disc.

-vasu

vasu
Senior User
Apr 9, 2005, 04:25 PM

if you do want to burn a dvd-video disc from your mpeg4 you also need to realize that you're going to be recompressing an already compressed format, so it'll lose more quality.

there is a workaround though. You're going to need a program like Roxio Popcorn or DVD2OneX. Do what you did before, but instead of hitting the burn button, go to file and save as disc image. You'll now have that 7.8gb disc image, too big for a dvd-r, and run it through one of those 2 programs down to 4.7gb.

Warning though, it'll look awful.

hoopz  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2005, 05:11 PM

Aha, didn't realize that converting .mp4 to MPEG-2 would increase the file size.

Thanks chabig and vasu for the insight!

H

Rickyinrio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2012, 01:22 PM

Hello, I need some help! I am trying to burn a DVD from a .mkv file using Toast Titanium but I am not successful.When I play it the whole screen is black and there's no sound. Can anyone help me? Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules