Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Basic Mac 10.x to Windows 2000 netw ?

Basic Mac 10.x to Windows 2000 netw ?
nextlevel
Apr 10, 2005, 09:37 PM

Sorry for such a basic question, but ...

I am trying to connect a MAC running 10.3.8 to a Win 2000 network. The same mac is connected when I boot through 9.2 and Dave but I thought I can hook up w/o Dave on 10.3. I am also having trouble seeing a networked hp 1200 lj printer that is it's own IP not a win shared printer, that is why I tend to believe I have set something up incorrectly on the new OSX. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ink
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2005, 10:29 PM

There's no need to use Dave. OSX can print to Windows printers out of the box. I print over the wireless network to my win2k and linux (samba) machines all the time. Just make sure the printer is shared on the win2k box, and then connect to it from the Printer Setup Utility.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 11, 2005, 08:10 AM

Keep in mind that the W2K machine's security setup may require entering a username/password to use the machine's resources. Fortunately you should only have to do this once, if at all. Samba is your friend.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nextlevel  (op)
Apr 11, 2005, 12:53 PM

So I set up the Mac as a user in the Windows 2000 server machine and now I can see the workgroup, but it just hangs there and I need to cntrl-cmd-opt-esc to restart the finder. I know the "D" drive on the server is shared because we use that as sort of a SAN area. What else can I do to be able to see this drive?

I will restart on OSX and try a connect to server and see if that is the path. I'll let you know. Thanks for the help.

mark

Once I get this figured out my goal is to not use OS 9. anymore and leave this machine only OSX.

Thanks again
( Last edited by nextlevel; Apr 11, 2005 at 03:09 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules