Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Help Me "Secure" A PowerPoint Presentation ASAP...

Help Me "Secure" A PowerPoint Presentation ASAP...
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 01:06 PM

Hey all

I want to place a PowerPoint presentation online and once the presentation is loaded, I'd like to prevent people from doing a Save As... or web archive and grabbing the whole shooting match. Does anyone know of a way to prevent this? I've searched all over but I can't find anything.

TIA,
Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Fiend
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 01:22 PM

Password protect the site. If it gets out, at least you know who you gave the passwords to and can track it down from there.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Fiend:
Password protect the site. If it gets out, at least you know who you gave the passwords to and can track it down from there.
Reread my post: I've already done that. However, that's not good enough in a corporate environment with over 300 people. We want to prevent people -- competitors who may get the password -- from being able to download and save the file.

And yes, I've made sure they can't simply print it out.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 01:40 PM

Can't be done. Like images, audio, etc, once it is viewable on the net it is public domain and a person who knows what they are doing can get it without breaking a sweat.

People argue this all the time, but it is the plain truth. A person who knows how to go through your code, how to use the cache, etc, will be able to grab it.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 11, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
Reread my post: I've already done that. However, that's not good enough in a corporate environment with over 300 people. We want to prevent people -- competitors who may get the password -- from being able to download and save the file.

Maury
Do it in flash and then disable right-click, and print options...
Content is in a container removed from the main page.
Password protect it. Generate 30 character passwords.
Genereat encrypted actionscript for the presentation?
Use the getdate() option in flash, and make it disable the presenation
after it is shown on a specific date?

It's for 300 people?

Generate 300 passwords with people who have filled out forms and have registered for the event...

Employ 'Best Practices' for this event.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 11, 2005, 01:43 PM

Maury
Make people register for the event.
Hold it on a certain time and day.
Send out only 300 passwords, 30 characters long.

Import it into Flash, password protect it, encrypt the actionscript, use the getdate() command and make it disable on a certain day and time.

Disable the right-click, and print options. It's easy with flash.
PowerPoint SUCKS.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by James L:
Can't be done. Like images, audio, etc, once it is viewable on the net it is public domain and a person who knows what they are doing can get it without breaking a sweat.

People argue this all the time, but it is the plain truth. A person who knows how to go through your code, how to use the cache, etc, will be able to grab it.
This is exactly what my understanding has been, too, and what I've been telling my Higher Ups -- thanks for reaffirming it.

Maury

Fiend
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2005, 02:00 PM

Maury
I have reread it. 3 times. And one more time while I'm replying to this. I don't see anywhere in your original post that you have "I've already done that" in regards to password protecting the site.

But since you have, nevermind then.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 02:17 PM

Check out WebEx.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 02:25 PM

No online presentation is safe against the mighty ALT-PRTSCR (Windows) and COMMAND-SHIFT-3 (Mac).

Perhaps you could distribute the presentation in VHS with Macrovision protection

But if you are going to run the extra mile with this: you could convert the presentation to digital video, then apply some Final Cut filter that prevents screenshots to be readable, but when in motion, they can be read. Upload this video for streaming only.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Fiend:
I have reread it. 3 times. And one more time while I'm replying to this. I don't see anywhere in your original post that you have "I've already done that" in regards to password protecting the site.

But since you have, nevermind then.
Ahh, yeah -- I went back and edited that part out to make my question a bit more pithy. Sorry.

Maury

bstone
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 03:53 PM

wrong forum
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

RAILhead  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by bstone:
wrong forum
Sue me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules