Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17 Inch Powerbook or a Windows gaming laptop

17 Inch Powerbook or a Windows gaming laptop
businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 02:48 AM

I need some advice. I just can't seem to decide, and most of hestitation is based on the performance of ONE game. How does World of Warcraft play on the 17 inch Powerbook? I would get 1 gig of Ram.

The problem I have is I love using a Mac for my everyday tasks far more than I would every Windows. They are much more practical. But I am addicted to World of Warcraft, and I want to have good performance. The additional advantage a Windows laptop would have is it can use a lot of the extra utilities I sometimes need/use while playing World of Warcraft. On the other hand, I have a Windows desktop I can use in those cases.

My main reason for wanting a laptop that can play World of Warcraft is so I can move around rather than be in one spot/get more comfortable. Also, the same is needed for when I do practical things like researching, typing a letter, etc.

So which way should I go? Can somebody tell me how the performance of World of Warcraft is on their 17 inch Powerbook?
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

Lifto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2005, 08:32 AM

Hahaha...I am on the same boat with you. My PIII notebook just broke down, and I need a new one soon. Also, I would like to run WOW with it. Since I use PM G5 at my office, I really wanted to get a new 15" PB for myself. However, the new Toshiba M40, with 128MB GForce 6600 GO video chipset and DDR2 dual-channel support, sounds really good to me. Actually, I have tried to install the WOW on my friend's G4 1.2G iBook with 768MB ram. The game is "playable" even in IF. I also checked the WOW forum. It seems that 15" PB with ATi 9700 video chipset and 1G ram will get you around 30 FPS in WOW most of the time with mid to low details. However, the story may be different on 17" PB since the resolution is much higher. Well, I still dunno what to get, M40 or PB? Does anyone have any idea? Thanks alot!

Albert

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 09:57 AM

You have to ask yourself how much longer you're actually going to be playing WoW. Most people are "addicted" for only 6 months to a year at the most, so if you get a Windows laptop just for WoW, you may regret it in a year's time. On the other hand, the PowerBook will appeal in other ways even after your WoW addiction. Also, the PB will be able to play WoW fine. Not as good as a Windows laptop with similar specs, but good enough so that the graphics don't hinder the game play. I say get the PB.

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2005, 10:21 AM

youre letting a game influence how you spend ~$3000 on a laptop?

wow! oh, i mean WoW. ****, i dont know what i mean. well, the game will run way better on say one of the new dell gaming laptops. but those things are heavy (and ugly) as hell.

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by businezguy:
I need some advice. I just can't seem to decide, and most of hestitation is based on the performance of ONE game. How does World of Warcraft play on the 17 inch Powerbook? I would get 1 gig of Ram.

The problem I have is I love using a Mac for my everyday tasks far more than I would every Windows. They are much more practical. But I am addicted to World of Warcraft, and I want to have good performance. The additional advantage a Windows laptop would have is it can use a lot of the extra utilities I sometimes need/use while playing World of Warcraft. On the other hand, I have a Windows desktop I can use in those cases.

My main reason for wanting a laptop that can play World of Warcraft is so I can move around rather than be in one spot/get more comfortable. Also, the same is needed for when I do practical things like researching, typing a letter, etc.

So which way should I go? Can somebody tell me how the performance of World of Warcraft is on their 17 inch Powerbook?
I play it on a 1.5Ghz 12inch powerbook with 1.25GB of memory. It runs fine for me at 1024x768 (max rex for 12inch) Although you might want to get the wireless keyboard or any other keyboard for that matter because the laptop keys were not designed for game button mashing any laptop keyboard was never really designed for that in mind. Also get a 2 button external mouse the 1 button track pad is fine for work but I have yet to figure out how to use it for games.
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

StonedRose
Apr 11, 2005, 10:02 PM

If you can get this setup...I highly recommend it.

DesktopPC for gaming and other things. Portables...always stay mac. Games are OK...not great..but getting better. But video card issues will arise within the first year and a half of ownership. Some of the Alienware laptops provide 256MB of video ram. Apple is still ONLY topping out at 128MB. But if you go with a PC Dektop and a Apple PB (no ibook) then you will be very happy. Just my 2 cents.

Aloha.

SydeffeX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2005, 10:54 PM

i had the same thing in mind when i bought my powerbook. only with City Of Heros. Unfortunately, there is no mac version of COH because it uses direct X heavily.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by StonedRose:

DesktopPC for gaming and other things. Portables...always stay mac. Games are OK...not great..but getting better. But video card issues will arise within the first year and a half of ownership. Some of the Alienware laptops provide 256MB of video ram. Apple is still ONLY topping out at 128MB. But if you go with a PC Dektop and a Apple PB (no ibook) then you will be very happy. Just my 2 cents.

Aloha.
Same here... I have a PC that I use for the occasion game, but my PowerBook is with me all of the time.

bovie
Forum Regular
Apr 12, 2005, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by StonedRose:

Aloha.
Those laptops are cool but,
17inch Powerbook 6.7 Pounds
Alienware laptop I would gest way over 10 pounds.

Also many of the 17 inch Windows laptops out there have power adapters that weigh more than my 12incher.

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2005, 03:23 AM

The 17" powerbook has NO competition on the PC side -- it's by far the lightest and nicest designed 17" there is, if anything... all the others are big, ugly, and clunky as hell..

That's not to say they're more capable, IMHO I'd give it another few days, JUST to see if NAB brings along a Powerbook HD -- doubtful but if it has that doubtfully rumored 9800 mobile I'm gonna sooooo get one muwahahaha..
Aloha

businezguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 04:01 AM

I have no doubt the Powerbook is the sleekest notebook around. That and Mac OS X is the best operating system in the world. That's why I'm having such a hard time deciding.

The fact of the matter is, one of those 10 pound behemoths is going to play World of Warcraft very well. But, if a Powerbook can play World of Warcraft at relatively high settings, and do so well, than that's what I'm going to get.

I just wish I could SEE the performance before I make my purchase.
20 gig iPOD

workerbee
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2005, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by Link:
The 17" powerbook has NO competition on the PC side -- it's by far the lightest and nicest designed 17" there is, if anything... all the others are big, ugly, and clunky as hell..
Not available in the US, but: Samsung M40... lighter than the PowerBook and (slightly) longer battery life than the PowerBook... not by much, and probably the PowerBook still is lighter if you count the power adapter, but still: they're getting there, slowly.
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2005, 07:35 AM

You have to much time and/or money on your hands.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

businezguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2005, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
You have to much time and/or money on your hands.
I would like to think of myself as a self-styled playboy, who has taken a life of leisure when he's not working at his day job.
20 gig iPOD

turbod33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by businezguy:
I would like to think of myself as a self-styled playboy, who has taken a life of leisure when he's not working at his day job.
Thats a good way to roll thru life.

My 12" 1.5 G4 Powerbook with only 64MB Ram plays it at 800x600 windowed with about 20+ FPS... A 15" with the better video card and a gig of ram should be running it great.

I usually play at home on my PC with ATI9800 Pro, and man it looks hot.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2005, 06:04 PM

I have a 15" 1.5 from the last gen w/ the 128mb 9700. I play WoW all the time and it plays great on the powerbook. Have all the settings maxed but w/ the distance turned down. I do have a gaming PC but I left it at home (in my sig). There is no reason that I need it for this game. I frequently play it in windowed mode on a second monitor while I talk to people and browse the net on the powerbook monitor... still runs very nicely. Lag is expected in some areas, like Iron Forge; however, if I go on during lower population times it isn't laggy since my ping is again decent. I personally love the convienence of a sub 6 pound computer with a screen this size... not to mention the great OS, tons of useful features, etc...

WoW should not be a concern when buying a computer... however the 17" w/ the 128mb card should play it fine!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

webb3201
Senior User
Apr 13, 2005, 07:00 PM

Funny, I am also in that boat (somewhat). I am moving back from a Powermac to a Powerbook and was debating which to get with a factor around WOW performance(my only gaming passion).

I installed it and played on a buddies Powerbook G4 17 1.33 and all was well. The newer models should be even better with the 128mb of video ram. Grab any of the current line with 128mb vram and I will see you in Azeroth....from my couch.

k
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

businezguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by wuzup101
I have a 15" 1.5 from the last gen w/ the 128mb 9700. I play WoW all the time and it plays great on the powerbook. Have all the settings maxed but w/ the distance turned down. I do have a gaming PC but I left it at home (in my sig). There is no reason that I need it for this game. I frequently play it in windowed mode on a second monitor while I talk to people and browse the net on the powerbook monitor... still runs very nicely. Lag is expected in some areas, like Iron Forge; however, if I go on during lower population times it isn't laggy since my ping is again decent. I personally love the convienence of a sub 6 pound computer with a screen this size... not to mention the great OS, tons of useful features, etc...

WoW should not be a concern when buying a computer... however the 17" w/ the 128mb card should play it fine!
Wow! These replies are helpful. This is the kind of info I was looking for. It looks like I'll be getting a new Powerbook soon. Thanks for letting me know!
20 gig iPOD

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2005, 04:03 AM

Yeah, no problem. There should also be some gain when we get tiger hopefully. Games like WoW and Rise of Nations play beautifully on the powerbook at full rez. Some games like HALO that are ported extremely poorly (and that's a port of a badly coded game to begin with in the PC sector) won't run very well. However, most of these games don't even run astonishingly well on the newest powermacs...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Forum Links
Forum Rules