Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Problem with Powerbook Hitachi 80 GB

Problem with Powerbook Hitachi 80 GB
abo
Apr 12, 2005, 05:51 PM

I had a problem with my internal disk drive not mounting.

It turns out to be a problem with the hardware (the disk drive).

Running Apple Hardware Test I got this error:

"***ERROR*CODE***ERROR*CODE***
2STF/8/3:ATA-100 ata-6- Master

***ERROR*CODE***ERROR*CODE***

In Googling the error I found this link (it's in French):

http://forum.macbidouille.com/lofiv...php/t65825.html

The person got the same error message as me. He had to replace his hard disk - his apparently was still under guarantee, but mine is 18 months old. I found this part interesting (I'm translating):

"I'd like to repeat one thing the technician told me...apparently there's a series of IBM/Hitachi 80 Go hard drives which come back a lot. They have even named it 'deathstar' (rather than deskstar)."

Effing Apple !!! I guess I'm just out of luck, but I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem with a Hitachi 80GB hard drive.

abo  (op)
Apr 13, 2005, 12:58 AM

Here, as I see it, are my options. I should say I have a 15" Alu Powerbook.

1/ I can send the computer in for servicing to Apple and get the hard drive replaced.

2/ I can buy an internal hard drive and try to replace it myself. No idea on what kind of internal drive I should get (the bigger the better). I'm reluctant on this option because I don't have any experience touching the insides of a computer.

3/ I buy a Pocketdrive (a Firelite 100GB?) and attach it to the computer. It's a little awkward, but I use the Powerbook almost exclusively as a stationary computer, carrying it from room-to-room in my house, so I think this could work for a year or so before I want to upgrade. Any suggestions on which drive (the smaller and the bigger the better).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2005, 01:08 AM

Effing Apple? If the drive is hosed, is that truly Apple's fault? And why didn't you get AppleCare for a laptop? That would have solved all of your problems.

And you're going by something someone told someone on a French forum?

Take a reality check. Yes, it sucks that the drive is hosed but your anger is a bit misplaced.

My suggestion is to get a new HD, maybe one of the 100GB ones.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

abo  (op)
Apr 13, 2005, 01:30 AM

Yeah effing Apple. This same Powerbook was delivered with a screen full of white spots. Now the hard drive has apparently died after 18 months. It also apparently isn't "someone who told someone" but an Apple technician who told someone.

Anyway, I think I will go for 100 GB, but I'm still unsure about the alternatives 1/, 2/, or 3/.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2005, 02:08 AM

" If the drive is hosed, is that truly Apple's fault?"

the apologists on this site! Who else's fault would it be?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2005, 02:14 AM

After 18 months? Blame Hitachi. Or blame yourself for not getting AppleCare. Or blame Apple, but saying effing Apple is a bit overboard.

abo  (op)
Apr 13, 2005, 03:00 AM

Would you allow me to say "effing Apple" for the white spots?

Anyway, this discussion is going off in a non-constructive direction.

What are the disadvantages of buying an external mobile drive as opposed to installing a new internal? Would it be noticeably slower? If I don't install the internal myself, but have a serviceman install it for me, then it would seem that the cost would be about the same...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2005, 03:14 AM

Yes, effing for the white spots are deserved.

You could use an external HD if you're going to use it solely as a desktop computer.

But if the drive is indeed fried and the rest of the computer is in good shape, you could either sell for parts or (what would be my choice) upgrade the hard drive. If anything, it'll keep the value of the computer and even raise it, in case you do decide you wish to sell.

And it doesn't help you but if anyone is getting closer to the first year expiring, they may want to consider getting A/C. For an extra 2 years of coverage on a laptop, it's not a bad investment.

abo  (op)
Apr 13, 2005, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by Randman:

But if the drive is indeed fried and the rest of the computer is in good shape, you could either sell for parts or (what would be my choice) upgrade the hard drive. If anything, it'll keep the value of the computer and even raise it, in case you do decide you wish to sell.
When I upgrade I won't be selling the computer but giving it to one of my kids. I was planning to upgrade in summer 2006.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Apr 13, 2005, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Effing Apple? If the drive is hosed, is that truly Apple's fault?
Yes, in a way it is Apples fault.
Hitachi gives 3 years of warranty for a Travelstar if you have bought it for your private use, not for resale.

Apple resells and has to take over the warranty for the Hitachi drives. So it is Apple who has to make the best choice for their customers. If your drive fails Apple has obviously made a bad choice. But they replace Hitachis 3 years of warranty by only one year and ask for money to give back the remaining two years.

If we are talking about a bad series only Apple can get a refund from Hitachi and thus Apple should refund the users.

To be on the safe side it is the customer who has to know and buy Apple care. Or sell the hd after one year and replace it with a new one (with then 3 years of warranty).

Btw: Deskstar is not a Notebook hd. If there is a series that dies soon it has nothing to do with your portables Travelstar.

Please have a look at the hitachi global storage site. There you can check if your drive is still under warranty by entering the serial number (from the system profiler). But it won't be.

Btw 2: I see that you are in Paris. In Europe it is a law that you have to get 1 year of warranty and another year of limited warranty if you can proove that the fault is caused by a bad component.

abo  (op)
Apr 13, 2005, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by I was David B.:

Btw 2: I see that you are in Paris. In Europe it is a law that you have to get 1 year of warranty and another year of limited warranty if you can proove that the fault is caused by a bad component.
That law sounds great. Do you have any details about this law? Mind you, I don't think it will apply in my case, since I bought the computer in the U.S. !

Forum Links
Forum Rules