Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PSP hand on report..

PSP hand on report.. (Page 21)
cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2005, 10:41 AM

i recently got my hands on both a PSP and a DS.

normally, i'm a huge nintendo fan, but the DS is a let down. i'm not comfortable with the power button where it is and well...i'll stick with my GBA, until the next gameboy (DS isn't the next gen handheld from nintendo...).

PSP, though looks nice, it's very easy to break, so thats a huge design flaw. i've seen a few PSPs and they usually have a dead pixel or 2. the door seems to break quickly and the stores are already waiting on replacements.

it's funny some people think the DS is the PSPs competitor, but thats not true. nintendo is releasing the next gen gameboy sometime, though i'm not sure exactly when. the DS was more of a "new thing" for game developers to play with. nintendo said the DS is more of a PDA than a handheld game system.

overall...DS and PSP are no good, in my opinion. they have too many flaws.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 14, 2005, 09:03 PM

Unlocking PSP's future

http://consoul.blogspot.com/

The general perception of PSP games right now is that they look pretty good. Pretty damn good. You probably wouldn't be surprised if I told you that PSP games are going to look considerably better in the future. It stands to reason that over time, games look better and better across a console's lifespan as developers become more accustomed to the hardware and learn to exploit it more effectively. The first-generation games might put just as much strain on the system as the late-generation games, but the tangible improvements come from much more efficient coding. The console's capabilities don't improve, only the software does. Such is the case with all consoles.

What if I told you that PSP was different? What if I told you that as well as enjoying the benefits of steadily improving software development, the PSP would, at some stage in the future (and without any modification), become capable of a hardware performance increase of fifty percent? That would be somewhat more surprising, wouldn't it?

Well, that's what I'm telling you. At this year's busy GDC (Game Developers Conference) in San Francisco, lots of companies gave lots of presentations. On Friday the 11th of March, between midday and 1pm, Sony Computer Entertainment America staged four different presentations simultaneously. Mark DeLoura, SCEA's manager of developer relations, delivered one of them: a rather dry and technical presentation called "PSP Advanced Software Overview". It seems that with so many talks vying for attention, this particular presentation may have slipped under the radar of the mainstream gaming press. What was revealed in that presentation however, is very significant.

DeLoura explained that the PSP's CPU and bus have software-configurable clockspeeds. The CPU core is currently locked to a maximum clockspeed of 222MHz, and the bus (typically operating at half the CPU speed) is locked to a top speed of 111Mhz. The GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) operates at bus speed, in other words, up to the 111MHz cap. The advantage of having configurable clockspeeds in a portable device is that power consumption can be controlled by adjusting the clockspeed to the demands of the software at any given moment. When the PSP is rendering complex in-game graphics at around 222MHz it will necessarily chew up more power than it would need to when displaying a simple menu screen running at say 5MHz.

The hardware specifications of the PSP were released last year. Since then it's been known that the PSP CPU's top clockspeed is 333MHz and the bus and GPU's top speed is 166MHz. See what's going on? Sony have deliberately locked the PSP's operating speed at exactly two-thirds of it's actual potential. They have an extra fifty percent of it's current performance ability simply waiting in reserve to be unleashed at a later date.

As I pointed out in my PSP Lowdown back in January, the graphical performance exhibited in PSP's launch titles looks like it's somewhere between PSone and PS2 standard. Now I understand why. The PS2's Emotion Engine (CPU) runs at 294.912MHz and it's Graphics Synthesizer (GPU) runs at 147.456MHz. While the PSP is clearly a more powerful device on paper, it's currently being restricted to a sub-PS2 standard of performance.

Of course, this begs the question: why? Why would Sony choose to cripple their own hardware? Well, the most obvious answer is that they needed to maintain an acceptable battery life. In the lead up to PSP's debut, it's battery duration was often quoted as it's single biggest potential problem. Had they launched the PSP with games running at a fully unlocked 333Mhz, the battery could have been dead in less than two hours. That just wouldn't do. Through capping the PSP's clockspeed (and enforcing other power-saving guidelines) Sony have achieved a respectable 4-6 hours of gameplay from a single charge. It now seems apparent that Sony have actually delivered a portable console whose capabilities are too advanced for current battery technology. Once that technology improves, it seems inevitable that Sony will release a higher capacity battery and unlock PSP's full potential.

The current performance cap may have other benefits in the long run. Rather than letting developers wastefully chew up the whole of PSP's hardware capability from the get-go with inefficient code, the restrictions essentially force them to code more efficiently from the beginning. Consequently, when the ceiling is eventually lifted, the developers will be ready to put the extra power to good use.

It has been theorized that the clockspeed cap is in the PSP's firmware, and will be removed by a firmware update. A developer at the gaming-age forums recently disclosed that this isn't the case. The restriction is actually being imposed at the game development stage, by way of limits in Sony's PSP libraries. The PSP devkits allow developers to constantly modify the CPU clockspeed settings from anywhere between 1 and 333MHz (or 0.5-166Mhz for the GPU and bus), but the current software libraries simply won't go above 222MHz (or 111Mhz for GPU and bus).

Initially restricting certain features of a console is not as uncommon as you might expect. As an example, the PS2 was restricted from displaying progressive scan for many years, though usually such restrictions are handled by the TRC process, not by a software restriction. The TRC (Technical Requirement Check) is the console manufacturer's checklist that games must pass before being published. Any developers who try to hack the current PSP libraries to exceed the clockspeed limits will undoubtedly have their games rejected at the TRC stage. Sony probably felt it would be easier to simply restrict the libraries than to ask the developers politely not to go above 222Mhz, and have to later issue a wave of TRC rejections. Sony will provide developers with new software libraries when they are ready to remove the restrictions. Games developed after that will be free to exploit all of the PSP's processing power. Ridge Racers' associate producer Hideo Teramoto recently confirmed in an Edge magazine interview that unlike the underclocked Ridge Racers, Namco will release PSP games in future that run at 333MHz.

When the time comes, consumers won't need to do anything. No firmware update should be required. Old games won't run any faster than they ever did, because the restrictions are in the game software, not in the PSP itself. The new games will simply push PSPs harder than ever before. Sony will have much improved high-capacity batteries on the market by then, but you won't actually need to buy one. The latest and greatest games will run on your old battery. Of course, the speed at which they'll drain your old battery should be incentive enough for you to rush out and buy a new one.

The tangible difference in the games should be very noticeable. Example: Right now, the PSP has a maximum fillrate of 444 Mpixels/sec. After the restrictions are lifted that will become 664 Mpixels/sec. Games will be able to feature more complex models with higher polygon-counts, more fluid frame-rates, better physics, you name it. We are talking about an across-the-board fifty percent performance increase after all. PSP's hardware supremacy over the PS2 should become evident. It's even possible that when the new battery is released, the PSP's fourth screen brightness setting (uber-blinding strength; currently only selectable when the PSP is plugged into mains power), will be available all the time.
PSP's future certainly looks bright.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2005, 10:38 PM

Ummm +1

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2005, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by AppleOptionFour
Ummm +1
Yes.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2005, 02:49 AM

The PSP sold 620,000 handheld units and 1.1 million software units in March (compare that with the Nintendo DS�s sales of 420,000 in 2005 year to date). Remember, the PSP launched on March 24th. That means that Sony sold nearly one PSP per second in the first 8 days of the handheld�s launch.

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000687040382/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2005, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
The PSP sold 620,000 handheld units and 1.1 million software units in March (compare that with the Nintendo DS�s sales of 420,000 in 2005 year to date). Remember, the PSP launched on March 24th. That means that Sony sold nearly one PSP per second in the first 8 days of the handheld�s launch.

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000687040382/

Thats umm...very impressive. really. but you forgot to mention that the first 500k of PSP were sold in the first 2 days....and then sales dropped off dramatically. (im not making that up). And it's rather skl of you to mention '2005' sales figures lol.

What i'd like to know is total worldwide sales figures ? or even total sales figures for each region. so snce you like looking that kind of stuff up... hehe.

Also, dont take this as an offensive reply to your post. If Nintendo fans would bitch about the PS2 being out a whole year earlier than the PS2, it wouldnt make a difference to actual total global sales figures. So likewise...it dosent matter here.

P.S.>> software sales ? hmmm would you look at that, not a single PSP title in the top 10 for Japan....tsk tsk ..... and it's been out there so much longer than in the U.S. weird.http://nintendo.gamerfeed.com/gf/pr/8600/. (also worth noting is that theres 1 DS title and a whopping 9 PS2 titles)
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 16, 2005 at 10:10 AM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2005, 08:42 AM

Hmmm..... http://nintendoinsider.com/site/EEEFyEkEEVExKTrGzE.php (source of article = Media Create...so it's not another Big N fanboy site).

NDS has been outselling the PSP in Japan for the last few weeks. Total sales in Japan are:
NDS: 2,054,017
PSP: 1,168,174
(and currently the NDS is selling more units per week in Japan)(as of Friday, April 15, 2005)

Weird for such an inferior bizzare system ?must be cause it's so cheap....oh wait...who cares. ...it's selling more anyways. (being totally serious here...not sarcastic)
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 16, 2005 at 09:07 AM. )

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 16, 2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a

NDS has been outselling the PSP in Japan for the last few weeks. Total sales in Japan are:
NDS: 2,054,017
The truth, not biased fanboy newsites...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04...d_psp_headline

The PSP came out later and suffered from production delays. How many times does teh hawkeye!!!11BBQ have to be told it? Perhaps nice DS screenshots will help?

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2005, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
The truth, not biased fanboy newsites...

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04...d_psp_headline

The PSP came out later and suffered from production delays. How many times does teh hawkeye!!!11BBQ have to be told it? Perhaps nice DS screenshots will help?

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

hehehe funny dude..... so what sales figures does that change ? i know the PSP had production issues, i know the PSP came out later, i know the PSP is more expensive... dosent really change the lifetime sales figures does it ? hehe...your a funny guy(hree Amigos reference) lol

PS>>but that is pretty odd if you ask me.... two sites, both credible(the one the nintendo site referenced) reporting pretty different figures.....(oh the source on the Nintendo article is from a company that adds the numbers for gaming devices....iif it was just a nintendo site reporting it, i wouldnt beleive it wither)

Ronnie: dosent it just piss you off that the PSP is still lagging behind the DS in Japan by almost 50%, after 4 months on the market ? lol....
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 16, 2005 at 11:28 AM. )

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 16, 2005, 11:29 AM

hehehe funny dude.....your a funny guy(hree Amigos reference) ....i wouldnt beleive it wither
Need a light for the next one?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 12:46 AM

Need a light for the next one?

sure, why not...im in a good mood seeing as how your so annoyed at the NDS vs PSP performance in the market place lol.

On a side note, i dont want or need either system. I do like Nintendo though(big surprise there ), and honestly i wasnt impressed with either one of these products. Looking at it from a marketing perspective, i do like the fact that Nintendo is still ahead of Sony in this arena.

And just for the record...whether or not i own one dosent give me the right to post in these threads, so deal with it.

Ciao

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 17, 2005, 01:56 AM

sure, why not...im in a good mood seeing as how your so annoyed at the NDS vs PSP performance in the market place lol.
uh...no I'm not. I couldn't give a **** how well or bad either does. I just want my FIFA and Gran Turismo and know nothing but the PSP can do quality portable versions.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 02:02 AM

Well, good on you. thats the spirit. So why do you diss the DS so often ? as i said, i dont want either one.... but the DS has got something that a heck of a lot of ppl want. whether or not you admit it. thats just my point.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 17, 2005, 04:01 AM

Well, good on you. thats the spirit. So why do you diss the DS so often ? as i said, i dont want either one.... but the DS has got something that a heck of a lot of ppl want. whether or not you admit it. thats just my point.
As a user of Mac OS X you should know how it feels like to see a lower quality product come out first and become very popular. Answer the following then you'll have your answers.

Why is Windows popular?
Why are Macs more expensive?
Why aren't all people using Macs?
How come Dell manages to move so many cheap plastic laptops compared to high quality laptops by other manufacturers such as Apple?
Why isn't Windows software as well designed as Mac software?
If touchscreens are so innovative why don't we all use Tablet and Pocket PCs, they have apps, games, wireless technology and graphic accelerators?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 04:33 AM

As a user of Mac OS X you should know how it feels like to see a lower quality product come out first and become very popular. Answer the following then you'll have your answers.

Why is Windows popular?
Why are Macs more expensive?
Why aren't all people using Macs?
How come Dell manages to move so many cheap plastic laptops compared to high quality laptops by other manufacturers such as Apple?
Why isn't Windows software as well designed as Mac software?
If touchscreens are so innovative why don't we all use Tablet and Pocket PCs, they have apps, games, wireless technology and graphic accelerators?
1. cheaper(in every sence of the word) and most people who work have to interface with windows anyway. mostly because the costly research into computer-human-interfaces was done at Xerox and PARC, so enabling microsoft to use that research free of charge.

2. R&D at Apple is more than just programmers coding. it involves design, new intuitive ways of accomplishing things, and computer-human interface guidelines. That and the QUALITY no specs of it's components are generally better, and usually custom made, such as widescreen TFTs and cases. Not to mention Apple has to help in optomizing drivers, software etc for the Mac, which dosent come free of charge.

3. Because IT technofiles genrally never recommend them, sales peopel who rely solely on specs dont recommend them, and most organizations dont base their businesses on them.

4. Because Dell, which has partnered with Intel and Microsoft.... provides cheap and effective solutions to people who require the windows platform. bearing in mind that many businesses use their own specialized software, which has not been written for the mac. So when people start workign for them, they'd need to be able to ue that software as well...so why would people go through the hassle of learning the Mac interface and spend more on a computer ?

5. I never though of Windows software as welldesigned, what u probably mean is optomized. And in that regard, in my opinion, windows software is much better optomized for the Wintel architecture than the equivalent is for the Macintosh.

6. Touch screens are not the innovation.they have been around since before the days of the newton. using the screen to control a game, while being able to access info is the innovation. Tablet PCs were not specialized for gaming, you cant have your hands on the screen and watch the gameplay at the same time. Not to mention they cost 10X the price of the DS.

Oh and i still dont have my answer. quit beating about the bush and answer me .

innovation and risk takers. inorder to innovate risks i nthe busness place need to be taken....the tablet pc was such a risk and it failed for a heap of reasonss. The Human-computer--interface gap it tried to bridge was not offered in an elegant, consumer friendly solution. When Apple introduced the GUI in it's Macintosh, busness ppl and nerds laughed it off cause it was not innovative and Xerox had already tried to market it with little success (Xerox Alto and Star). So they continued to buy the fastest IBM based clones....running DOS which was just another copy of the Human-interface developed on UNIX.

In the same way, Nintendo is taking touch technology, offering up developer support, content, and at a much cheaper price than other devices that have offered it in the past. Along with 'reasonable' 3D capabilities. (i dont think the graphics on the system are al lthat great btw). In doing so, they enable more complex games such as RPGs(monkey island), Strategic games, and other functions to be performed on the same device quite easily, where the PSP cant.

The PSP took the design of handheld consoles that came before it, and added an analog stick(which i do like btw, and would much prefer it to the d-pad on the NDS), and just pushed teh systems specs to a pretty high level...maybe in the hopes of wiping out or dominating the portable sector entirely.

So innovation is not just high priced products...look at the eMacs and iMacs and iBooks. it's what you do with the different technologies available, not just upping the ante on existing designs.

Personally, right now, i'd regard the PSP and NDS on the same level imo. both have advantages and drawbacks. But the market is voting now, and it seems to be in favour of the NDS.(just as they did with the iPods, which wasnt all that innovative'''except for that scroll wheel which made a huge difference...scroll wheels had been around before as well. But it was price, value, design, marketing, support and content that won the consumer, not the specs).

Destonius
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 11:20 AM

With PSP vs DS talk aside, why is it that Sony still has such strong following outside of Japan? They are really dying fast in Japan nowadays. Just curious.

...explosante fixe...

Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2005, 11:28 AM

Why is it that you still spread your BS trolling around here? Just curious.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Destonius
With PSP vs DS talk aside, why is it that Sony still has such strong following outside of Japan? They are really dying fast in Japan nowadays. Just curious.
I remember while growing up, my dad's brand of choice for consumer home electronics was SONY. We had a SonY TVs, VCRs, Handicams, music systems, etc.... and the "Made in Japan" label was always a sign of quality products.

That view seems to have faded a little in the past 5-10 years, when SONY products manufactured in Korea, Taiwan/China started becoming common place.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 02:42 PM

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2005, 02:44 PM

umm...a slut with a PSP in her clevage...sad.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by cruciarius
I think it is supposed to be a protective silicone case

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 02:58 PM

wow. a slut? can you verify that?

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2005, 03:03 PM

i consider any female a slut, if they are show themselves with almost no clothes or no clothes at all, to a total stranger. its disturbing how many their are in the world.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 03:05 PM

i consider any female a slut, if they are show themselves with almost no clothes or no clothes at all, to a total stranger. its disturbing how many their are in the world.

wow.

entrox
Senior User
Apr 17, 2005, 03:24 PM

As far as I'm concerned, there is no problem with women showing their boobies to strangers. They're emancipated after all.

Destonius
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 11:10 PM

I'm a troll!? Gimme a break. Everything I have stated is based on facts. Notice I have never stated anything about PSP in US market. Nintendo fanboy? I got so tired of waiting for games after Mario 64 for two years on 64 that I just gave it away, I never got to play Ocarina of Time until I got GC version of it, and my GC has been a Zelda exclusive machine. Not a happy customer. Plus, I skipped SNES and GB altogether. Hardly a Nintendo fanboy. I was a Sega fan back in the day for that matter.

Enough monologue, here's a few links for a quick reference. 2ch, which is a massive BBS with underground flavor, has over 8 million users in Japan and you can get some idea of what goes on in Japanese minds if you can see through the jive. It's usually bit crazy and quite biased, but there's some links that support what I've been saying all along. I would never admit that I even look at 2ch in person, but I'll post few links here anyway. I never posted references because they are in Japanese, you see.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...867876-7724339
http://hobby5.2ch.net/sony/
http://hobby5.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/sony/1113462550/l50
http://game10.2ch.net/ghard/

I just happened to be yet another ex-Sony lover who got sick of getting screwed over by products that break down as soon as the warranty expires. When my Cybershot U-30 broke down on me three months ago, I vowed to never buy anything made by Sony ever again, with the exception of PS series that is, but it bombed hard in its hometur. I was actually looking forward to PSP, which is why I'm quite upset at its failure in Japan. (I'm Japanese, by the way. ) I was asking about PSP's success in United States because I'm still interested in getting one, if there's a chance of it surviving over there with software developer support and all. Does it have a future? If so, I'll probably get one as soon as they release the white version that they showed prior to the release.

...explosante fixe...

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2005, 05:16 AM

I've heard mixed results for the U.S. thus far. They sold some 500k units in the first days, which is quite an acomplishment by any measure. That represents 50% of the number of units they shipped for the launch. Sony has officially reported 600k unit sales for the first week, which means after the first 2 days of selling 250kunits/day, it dropped to 20kunits/day....which is quite a drop off. That calculation is my own conclusion btw.

So im not sure if it's a success of failure ? I remember SONY had projected sales of 3 million units by end of March(global)...have they shipped 3 million units (it's mid-late April now)?

Nintendo is ahead by a couple of million units as far as total lifetime sales of it's DS. Seeing as how the PSP hasnt launched in Europe and Australia(i think....havent heard anything about the PSP here in Oz), it depends on how well it does in EU and Oz....but genrally the U.S. and Japan have the bulk of video game players...so....yea.

I must say though...this 'experiment' in hand held games wars has only reiterated one main point as far as gaming goes. The first person to the market stands a great chance of taking the lead and maintaining it. (justification: look at the PS2.). And it seems like most general/casual gamers dont care who provides them with the gaming fix.

But yeah like you i have noticed a people disregarding SONY for consumer electronics as well. Music: iPods, Bose, etc. TV/DVD: too many to name Computers: Apple/Dell/Toshiba/IBM

From personal experience, over the past 10 years or so, ive noticed a decline in quality of Sony products as well. Im honestly surprised yo uclaim that SONY is not popular in japan, seeing as how it is a Japaneeses compan. i mean there heaps of PS2 oweners over there, right ? are you just referring to consumer electronics ?
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 18, 2005 at 05:22 AM. )

Busemann
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 07:01 AM

It is way too early to say whether or not it has been a success. The PSP is a long term investment for Sony, and with the inevitable integration with PS3, I think it can bring a lot of cool stuff to the marketplace. It is definitely the most future proof of the two handhelds, and it has already the strongest games lineup as well.

That the sales drop off in the days after the launch is something that always happens. The fans all queued up to get it at the 24th, and that's when the pre-orders shipped as well.

Destonius
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 11:03 PM

The game I'm interested in is Lumines.
I hate puzzle games, because I suck, but I really want to check this one out.
It's created by the team led by former Sega employee Miguguchi (I think that's his name)
that produced two of my all time favorite games ever, Space Channel 5 and Rez.

Plus, I'm interested in checking out some US produced games now that
most Japanese games have gone totally stale and boring.
I mean, how many sequels can you take before going postal?

...explosante fixe...

Destonius
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 11:04 PM

I meant Mizuguchi. Duh!!

...explosante fixe...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Apr 21, 2005, 06:04 AM

Soon to be in the hands of geeks everywhere who can't get it any other way...

"The thought of being carried around in a guy's pocket and having him push my buttons is really sexy."

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Soon to be in the hands of geeks everywhere who can't get it any other way...

"The thought of being carried around in a guy's pocket and having him push my buttons is really sexy."
And in other news, Playboy has realized that the PSP is a potential channel for delivering porn to nerds and technophiles everywhere. Lord knows there will be a demand for it as well..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04...aphic_service/

Destonius
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2005, 08:17 AM

Well, I have no excuse for not getting one now.

Porn Station Portable, good lord...
I guess you must never underestimate the power of porn.
VHS, internet, etc. Gotta love them ladies, I guess.

...explosante fixe...

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 10:02 PM

Another DS killer title.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 22, 2005, 10:14 PM

Another DS killer title.

Whoa... Michael Jackson's porn collection!

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2005, 05:13 PM

The PSP has a longer list of just MOVIES than the DS does for games

http://my.ign.com/my/sb?pageID=2003&...arch=UMD+Video

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 10:59 AM

Yes this is a real upcoming DS title

The finger seals the deal.

http://www.touchdic.co.kr/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 01:37 AM

Japaneeses Game Sales April 11 - April 17, 2005:
Ranking�Title�Platform�Publisher

1 Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song�PS2�Square Enix
2 Fire Emblem: Souen no Kiseki�GCN�Nintendo
3 Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3�DS�Tomy
4 Nintendogs: Shiba & Friends�DS�Nintendo
5 Nintendogs: Dachs & Friends�DS�Nintendo
6 Nintendogs: Chihuahua & Friends�DS�Nintendo
7 Baseball Live 2005�PS2�Namco
8 Mega Man Zero 4�GBA�Capcom
9 Mobile Suit Gundam: One Year War�PS2�Bandai
10 Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zone Of Control�PSP�Gen

Source: http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/article/113861
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8323
http://general.gamerfeed.com/gf/pr/8655/

Awwwwww...would you look at that ...4 new DS titles in the top 10, and 3 are those goddamned puppy/pet simulators that are so gimmicky (i wonder if a photo realistic MGS card game would sell as well).

ahem...also worth mentioning is a single PSP title which also made it's debut at #10. yay.

Weekly hardware sales for the same period:

DS - 96,191
PS2 - 33,080
PSP - 33,004
GBASP - 10,820
GC - 8,329
GBA - 422
Xbox - 112

Also various sources are reporting that Nintendo DS sales passed the 5 million mark in mid March, so sales are well over 5 million now. Ans as for the PSP....well it's got a staggering 2.97 million globally....

Awwwwwwwww......too bad.... for the PSP fanboys and DS haters.

Obviosly im not buying either one, but seems like the market is voting quite favourably for the inferior, gimmicky Nintendo DS. i guess most people on this planet who enjoy video games are not middle aged male technophiles after all...... hmmm

In other news, Sony has announced "Neopets"...a pokemon-esque type game for PS2 and PSP.... geeee..... its even more innovative, fresh and new, than the PSP. i mean how brilliant is that !?!? take an existing idea, change the look and voila...before you know it, your innovative !! good on you Sony ! keep it up...hope your photocopiers dont run out of ink...opps i mean your engineers run out of ideas...ohhh... might be the same thing.

Ciao

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 30, 2005, 03:08 AM

Japaneeses Game Sales April 11 - April 17, 2005:
Ranking�Title�Platform�Publisher

ahem...also worth mentioning is a single PSP title which also made it's debut at #10. yay.

Also various sources are reporting that Nintendo DS sales passed the 5 million mark in mid March, so sales are well over 5 million now. Ans as for the PSP....well it's got a staggering 2.97 million globally....

Ciao

Odd. Those same various game sources say that there have been more PSP games sold per unit sold.

And as for globally, the PSP hasn't been released globally...which you have conveniently ignored so many times now. You're not buying either...or so you say for some odd reason all too often now.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 05:06 AM

Odd. Those same various game sources say that there have been more PSP games sold per unit sold.

And as for globally, the PSP hasn't been released globally...which you have conveniently ignored so many times now. You're not buying either...or so you say for some odd reason all too often now.

Yeah i guess your EXCUSES are valid, but oh well....that dosent change the fact that there are:
1. more DS games(which means they are selling better) than PSP games in the top 10 Japaneeses charts
2. Overall there are more DSs in circulation in Japan than there are PSP even though the PSP has been out there since before christmas.
3. The DS is outselling the PSP in Japan, for overa month now.
4. The Gimmick is outselling the 'awesomeness' of the PSP on this planet.

Asfar as the excuse for global sales....well....lets talk japan then shall we ? lol...

And globally....well talk to SONY about that, it's not anyones fault that their production facilities are flawed, and to be honest...when talking global sales figures no one cares if sony cant pull if off so much as the fact that they CANT ship a product tentatively. blame SONY if you want, no one cares much for excuses...since the DS is well ahead of the PSP.

And since your so anal aboutthe tchnicality of mentioning 'globally' (since Sony hasnt shipped the PSP to Europe yet), lets tally the number for the rest of the planet sans Europe.

Thats 2.97million PSP and 4.2 million DSs (approximate sales for europe are 800k).

And as for more games being sold on the PSP...well just goes to show that the people buying PSP spend more money on gaming than DS owners. so what ? how many people do you know who spend more on video games than nerds and technophiles anyway ? just goes to show that most people who seem to be bying the PSP are hard core gamers....and ill let you in on a little secret here..... there are many millions of people out there who are casual gamers. Or people just bored of playing games made for geeks by geeks.

You cant prove the numbers wrong...sales are higher for the NDS in every sector, whether or not the PSP has been released there.

The market has spoken, and voted. The vots have been counted and looks like the DS is still way way ahead of the PSP.

Cheers.

PS>>i mention the fact that im not buying either one, to show that im not particularily partial to either system. im just trying to convince you gamer geeks that whether or not you want to admit it, the DS is a far bigger success than the PSP in any sector on this planet. Yet you geeks try and concentrate on technicalities and put a negative spin on it no matter what. get used to it, the PSP has been, is and from the looks of it, always will trail the DS. Unless of course Europe suddenly gets a steroid shot for it's gaming market in September, which...is probably not going to happen.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 30, 2005 at 05:17 AM. )

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2005, 11:17 AM

Oh, can we put this f-----g thread to rest? One side says one thing, another side says another.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by starman
Oh, can we put this f-----g thread to rest? One side says one thing, another side says another.

Mike
I agree....

Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2005, 10:47 AM

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

paul w
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 10:58 AM

^^^ lol giant windows error message!!!

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 11:45 AM

Wow, it's almost as big as the original Xbox controller.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2005, 03:33 PM

Hummmm...wonder why these guys decided to take DSs ? when they could have just as easily taken PSPs instead. i mean theyre in their mid-late 20s and as we all know the DS is a toy compared to the PSP. (sarcasm)

http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?...f94&page=other

.... and the windows error message....is that for real ? cant wait to see the BSD on X360

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 04:11 PM

Seems people like buying movies on UMD.

"Well, the numbers are starting to come in on UMD movie sales and the results are excellent.

Since the introduction of the PSP two Sony titles have hit the 100,000 mark in unit sales, Resident Evil 2 and House of the Flying Daggers. Both titles shipped on April 19th, reaching these numbers within a month of release. To put that in perspective the first DVD title to reach 100K was Air Force One and it took 9 months to reach it."

http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/5002/umd.html

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
May 26, 2005, 04:13 PM

How do movies look on the PSP? Is it watchable?

Addicted to MacNN
May 26, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Are you kidding. it looks better than DVD's in some ways. Astoundingly clear with great colour.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 26, 2005, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by budster101
Very watchable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules