Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > White Smoke From Sistine Chapel - New Pope?

White Smoke From Sistine Chapel - New Pope? (Page 3)
UnixMac
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 05:06 PM

All the humor notwithstanding...

Viva el Papa!!

Great day to be a Catholic!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 19, 2005, 05:11 PM

I'm converting to Catholic!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose

]
whatcha goin' do brother when the catholic people and the new pope and his 20 inch pythons run wild on you!!!!!

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Deimos
Apr 19, 2005, 05:34 PM

hahaahaha, you've posted some crackers, Ronnie.

Funny stuff.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 05:47 PM

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 19, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
For those who aren't familiar with the new Pope:
\�Only in the Catholic church is there eternal salvation�.[/I]
Another reason I am no fan of the Pope.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 19, 2005, 05:52 PM

"My Pope can beat the crap outta yours!"

entrox
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 06:20 PM

I was actually in favor of Arcanist Doan. He would've cleaned up.

BURN IN RIGHTEOUS FIRE!

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 07:07 PM

I really do not like this guy.

Also, I wonder, where did Jesus said we needed a Pope?

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
The responsibility he has chosen to shoulder.
I didn't think they chose it but were chosen and viewed it as their duty.

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by SimpleLife
Apparently he uttered something about a rock, and then - boom - all of a sudden, two thousand years later, we have 1.1 billion catholics.

Patty
Apr 19, 2005, 07:20 PM

I really do not like this guy.

"And I also say to you that you are Peter (rock), and on this rock I will build My church". As such it became Peter's job to be the first pope, he went all over the mediterranean spreading Christianity and built up the church as its leader. Each pope is a successor to Peter, and they are supposed to have the same divine purpose as the original Peter (in Catholic tradition at least). I hope that answers your question!

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hugi
Apparently he uttered something about a rock, and then - boom - all of a sudden, two thousand years later, we have 1.1 billion catholics.
"hey, john? did jesus say rock or pope?"

"i dunno mark, i need more wine."

"yeah he probably said pope, i'm going to get ready for the second coming"

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 19, 2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Patty
"And I also say to you that you are Peter (rock), and on this rock I will build My church". As such it became Peter's job to be the first pope, he went all over the mediterranean spreading Christianity and built up the church as its leader. Each pope is a successor to Peter, and they are supposed to have the same divine purpose as the original Peter (in Catholic tradition at least). I hope that answers your question!
Jews don't build 'churches' and don't want their synagogues run by people with Greek or Latin names. **** I hate myths and lies. Where's them Fatima Sisters when I feel like kicking a backside or three?

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 19, 2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Hugi
And only 5% of them actually practice! Haha! 1.1 billion Catholics! Anyone who speaks Italian, Spanish or Portugese must be Catholic just like anyone who speaks Arabic is Al-Qaeda!

Practicing Catholic =

And 1% are paedophiles immune from prosecution! Yaha...let's do the samba and celebrate Catholicism and the new Pope! May stupidity and the Sisters of Calcutta money laundering service continue!

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Patty
See, I went in a Catholic school, had religion courses up to my ears, thought about the priesthood (and decided I loved women too much) so I put the whole thing to until-later-kinda-thing.

Still, I understand what you are saying, but I am not clear whether Jesus was going for this or not.

The Bible is full of "so-and-so said this, so-and-so added that and got awestruck by God so they said this updated version instead" etc. BUt I will, if you do not mind, keep that precious one:

"Love thyself as I loved you" (or something like that if you will pardon my poor English). The Buddhist "Do no Harm" is quite likeable as well if I might add.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
"hey, john? did jesus say rock or pope?"

"i dunno mark, i need more wine."

"yeah he probably said pope, i'm going to get ready for the second coming"
"Hey John? Try wine with a straw! The buzz is so much better!

Wait I have some mushrooms too!..."

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 19, 2005, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by entrox
I was actually in favor of Arcanist Doan. He would've cleaned up.

BURN IN RIGHTEOUS FIRE!

Homer S.
Apr 19, 2005, 08:31 PM

im so sad that all of you think Ratzinger.. being german.. its like an Adolf Hitler guy .. some of you are kinda ingnorant people.. no offense at all.. but you just think a report from some crappy page its true... and offending all catholics here with youre nasty pictures ... im just trying to make you give a chance to him.. you will see hes not the bad guy you all think he is

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 08:32 PM

And only 5% of them actually practice! Haha! 1.1 billion Catholics! Anyone who speaks Italian, Spanish or Portugese must be Catholic just like anyone who speaks Arabic is Al-Qaeda!

And even if of the 14 million Jews in the world 80% were practicing their religion, which they are not, they still would be the smallest of the world religions. So I don't see your point in discounting the validity in one group�s number when we all know that for the most part secularism is the norm for people in the West. What's interesting is that a large percentage of Jews are marrying gentiles and their kids are being raised as such making that small number even smaller with every passing day. If anyone needs to shore up the waning numbers it�s them. And Jdate isn�t putting much of a dent in that trend.

I am not exactly sure why most of you even care about the Pope or the agenda of the catholic church if you do not even belong to it. Half of you denounce organized religions as the bane of humanity and the rest are for the most part apathetic about religion in your daily lives. So either you are resentful that Catholicism has a leg up in its ability to have an organized agenda over all the other religions or you just like to bitch about things that have nothing to do with you.
The countries most people on MacNN live in are is still predominantly run by Protestants so I am not sure why you think this pope or any other would impact your lives unless you want it to.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 19, 2005, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
And even if of the 14 million Jews in the world 80% were practicing their religion, which they are not, they still would be the smallest of the world religions. So I don't see your point in discounting the validity in one group�s number when we all know that for the most part secularism is the norm for people in the West. What's interesting is that a large percentage of Jews are marrying gentiles and their kids are being raised as such making that small number even smaller with every passing day. If anyone needs to shore up the waining numbers it�s them. And Jdate isn�t putting much of a dent in that trend.

I am not exactly sure why most of you even care about the Pope or the agenda of the catholic church if you do not even belong to it. Half of you denounce organized religions as the bane of humanity and the rest are for the most part apathetic about religion in your daily lives. So either you are resentful that Catholicism has a leg up in its ability to have an organized agenda over all the other religions or you just like to bitch about things that have nothing to do with you.
The countries most people on MacNN live in are is still predominantly run by Protestants so I am not sure why you think this pope or any other would impact your lives unless you want it to.
Dat's too many woids. All dis tawk of weligion...I'm hungwy fo a boiger.

(Is that convincing New Joisey or what?)

xenu
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 08:39 PM

When the stupidity of the catholic church affects society, we all have the right to have a say.

The new pope will be the same as the old pope - nothing will change. The stupidity will continue.
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

sideus
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 08:46 PM

<SNIP>

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
I didn't think they chose it but were chosen and viewed it as their duty.
After the cardinals have elected, the appointee is free to decline the nomination. They would then elect again.

“Building Better Worlds”

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Homer S.
im so sad that all of you think Ratzinger.. being german.. its like an Adolf Hitler guy .. some of you are kinda ingnorant people.. no offense at all.. but you just think a report from some crappy page its true... and offending all catholics here with youre nasty pictures ... im just trying to make you give a chance to him.. you will see hes not the bad guy you all think he is

Homer... your pearls of wisdom cast before the swine is not lost by HE who is watching.

Let the unwashed masses squeal like pigs against Christianity like a Vampire against the rising sun...(there is a pun there for those with half a wit).

They who hate Christ would only have been happy today had a pagan petaist tree worshiper been elected pope.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by xenu
When the stupidity of the catholic church affects society, we all have the right to have a say.

The new pope will be the same as the old pope - nothing will change. The stupidity will continue.

Actually you are wrong. You don�t have a say. You have an opinion but its not one of consequence or weight to the Catholic Church if you are not a member.

For instance if I thought the NAACP should stop pretending it represents the interests of anyone but black people would it matter? Let�s say I felt that the guise that it has the best interests of all minorities in mind was asinine since the values and agenda of each demographic is very different. Since I am not a member of the group would what I think be taken into consideration? In fact I think most people would say I have no right to criticize them because I don�t believe in their platform.

Of course nothing will change if the leadership of an organization does not feel it is ready to. It is their organization and their prerogative to dictate change.

Why would you think that you as an outsider with no influence, standing, or leverage would have an opinion of value? Furthermore, if the critics of the church go so far as to outright contradict the church in its beliefs, such as Jesus� divinity, papal authority, etc. why the hell should they take you seriously?

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2005, 09:22 PM

*Nuns screaming*

Good morning Quahog! Are you ready to be huuummblllleeeeee?!

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by IceBreaker
Homer... your pearls of wisdom cast before the swine is not lost by HE who is watching.

Let the unwashed masses squeal like pigs against Christianity like a Vampire against the rising sun...(there is a pun there for those with half a wit).

They who hate Christ would only have been happy today had a pagan petaist tree worshiper been elected pope.
But - Thank God! - the Church welcomes everyone!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 09:56 PM

BBC Slideshow with captions.

Throw your hands in the air... and wave 'em like you just don't care

Holy Smokes!!!

Fixed.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Homer S.
Apr 19, 2005, 10:00 PM

emm... RonnieoftheRose.. your BBC slideshow is mm.. (no comments, not to mention stupid and immature).. its best if you post logic things

P.S. Oh.. yours too Stogieman

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2005, 10:00 PM

But - Thank God! - the Church welcomes everyone!
Except gay people. They're going to hell.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
not if they believe in their heart that Jesus Christ died on the cross for their sins.

anyone can get into heaven...they just have to believe and ask forgiveness....

we are all sinners.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 19, 2005, 10:13 PM

So would Jesus

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 19, 2005, 10:14 PM

emm... RonnieoftheRose.. your BBC slideshow is mm.. (no comments, not to mention stupid and immature).. its best if you post logic things

P.S. Oh.. yours too Stogieman
Yeah. really? How about a Catholic joke for us, please?

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 19, 2005, 10:15 PM

not if they believe in their fart that the Jesus Crisp diet on the cross for their shins will reduce ankle trauma.
Jesus told me to fix it. Prove he didn't.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 19, 2005, 10:55 PM

And even if of the 14 million Jews in the world 80% were practicing their religion, which they are not, they still would be the smallest of the world religions. So I don't see your point in discounting the validity in one group�s number when we all know that for the most part secularism is the norm for people in the West. What's interesting is that a large percentage of Jews are marrying gentiles and their kids are being raised as such making that small number even smaller with every passing day. If anyone needs to shore up the waning numbers it�s them. And Jdate isn�t putting much of a dent in that trend.

( Last edited by Zimphire; Apr 19, 2005 at 11:02 PM. )

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon

I don't know what church you belong to (or lack thereof) but the Roman Catholic church doesn't presume to know who's going to Heaven and who's not.. this is after-all one of the major difference between us and the "Born Again" type of Christians. We believe that the Church is a path to heaven, but that GOD and only GOD reserves judgment. However with regards to Gays.. it's not being Gay that is a sin (as some Priests are actually probably gay).. it's the acting out of homosexuality with sex and same sex relations that is the actual sin against the plan that God has for us. Being gay can actually be a call to celibacy (priest/nun). Remember, it's "love the sinner and not the sin." Not that all Priests are gay (far from it, even liberal polls show no more than 10%), but that it's an option for a gay person who knows that there is a God, and that God wants him/her to respect the laws of Nature and Natures God.

Now, if you don't like what I just said, or if you are offended by it.. sorry, it's just the belief of our Church, and it's not going to change anytime soon (contrary to what the liberal's inside the Church keep hoping).

Take it, or leave it... I chose to take it. It's not a popularity contest, nor is it Western democracy.. it's Religion.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

Homer S.
Apr 20, 2005, 12:15 AM

Yeah. really? How about a Catholic joke for us, please?
.. i thought you people of the united states were some kind of rational (this message doesnt go for all.. some people there are very intelligente and know how to think), i mean.. youre laughing about a Pope... a Pope that might help the humanity.. Look, im irish, and im catholic, im just defending my religion, the leaders of my religion. If laughing about a religion is the point why do we not laugh about the anglican.. your religion.. that was invented by King Charles because he wanted to divorce... OMG.. he invented a RELIGION because he wanted to divorce!.. thats so stupid.. Now.. the leaders of the anglican are the british kings.. so.. Charles is going there.. a boy who dressed like a NAZI in a party.. Well.. this is all I have to say today..

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2005, 12:20 AM

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 20, 2005, 01:07 AM

a Pope that might help the humanity..

Look, im irish, and im catholic

anglican.. your religion.. that was invented by King Charles because he wanted to divorce...
Triple **** up. Go read a history book.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 02:34 AM

Heh. So St. Malachy got it right yet again. Funny, because other doomsday prophecy followers expected Benedict XVI to be black.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 20, 2005, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Heh. So St. Malarky got it right yet again. Funny, because other Doom 3 prophecy followers expected Benedict 16th to be brutha.
Benedict isn't a brutha. His soul is dark as the pits of Hell!!!

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2005, 03:06 AM

that was invented by King Charles because he wanted to divorce... OMG.. he invented a RELIGION because he wanted to divorce!..
Henry VIII

Originally Posted by Randman
Actually, he'd be considered the son of God. A demi-god actually.
Uh. No he wouldn't. Look up the Trinity
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2005, 03:32 AM

To better illustrate:

You shoulda known all this Star Wars hype would be good for something.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 20, 2005, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Black Book
Henry VIII
And if it wasn't for Henry breaking the power of Rome we most likely would be 250 years backwards right now. The industrial revolution might not have happened, American independence might not have happened, the Enlightenment might not have happened. We might even have killed each other off in another series of crusades a few generations ago.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2005, 03:47 AM

Very true. And if Einstein had been still-born...

♫ If ifs and buts were honey and nuts... ♫ And all that.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2005, 03:50 AM

I like The Sun's headline, callin him PAPA RATZI.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

xenu
Senior User
Apr 20, 2005, 04:11 AM

Actually you are wrong. You don�t have a say. You have an opinion but its not one of consequence or weight to the Catholic Church if you are not a member.

For instance if I thought the NAACP should stop pretending it represents the interests of anyone but black people would it matter? Let�s say I felt that the guise that it has the best interests of all minorities in mind was asinine since the values and agenda of each demographic is very different. Since I am not a member of the group would what I think be taken into consideration? In fact I think most people would say I have no right to criticize them because I don�t believe in their platform.

Of course nothing will change if the leadership of an organization does not feel it is ready to. It is their organization and their prerogative to dictate change.

Why would you think that you as an outsider with no influence, standing, or leverage would have an opinion of value? Furthermore, if the critics of the church go so far as to outright contradict the church in its beliefs, such as Jesus� divinity, papal authority, etc. why the hell should they take you seriously?
Actually you are wrong. I am a member of a society affected by the backwards policies of the church, when that church tries to force those views on society. That means I have a say. If enough people also have a say, the church will listen. It may take a few centuries, but it has changed in the past, and will do so again in the future. Assuming it doesn't want to be completely irrelevant.

How does NAACPs views affect society? How does this view affect a womans right to an abortion, or two gay people wanting to get married?

Why would I care if a bunch of people who believe invisible people live in the sky take me seriously? If they want to be part of modern society, then they need to play by societies rules. If they don't, society moves on and leaves them behind.

If you don't believe this, consider what the church is against, and what most in society would consider appropriate - gay rights, abortion, stem cell research, ...
Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion - Steven Weinberg.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 20, 2005, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by xenu

If you don't believe this, consider what the church is against, and what most in society would consider appropriate - gay rights, abortion, stem cell research, ...
Oddly enough predominantly Catholic regions of the world have the highest divorce rates and most abortions; Italy is a leader in stem cell research, Brazil is leading in AIDS research and medicine. Catholic societies have a high concentration of gay culture, and many girls who went to convent school have reportedly become strippers to pay their way through college. The Church (with a capital C as they like it) has done nothing to little to help except 'pontificate'. They even went as far as saying condoms cause AIDS!

Show me another corporation on earth that pays no taxes and makes money by offering a product that never comes. Show me another corporation whose executives commit crimes against children yet is allowed to survive.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2005, 04:38 AM

hope this works out well... i hear a lot of criticism already. he's 78 though .. so ... how much can he do in the time he has here? i dont see him being pope long enough to make too many major changes. steady as she goes ... dont rock the boat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules