Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Playing For Both Teams? (HD-DVD vs Bluray)

Apple Playing For Both Teams? (HD-DVD vs Bluray)
goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2005, 04:50 PM

Apple joined the Bluray group, which led me to believe they'd support that format, but today with the new DVD Studio Pro they've announced support for HD-DVD.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/dvdstudiopro/

Are they going to try to support both formats?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2005, 04:59 PM

I thought they were a member of DVD Forum, which supports HD DVD, already.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2005, 05:03 PM

The majority of movie studios are going with HD-DVD. Computer companies are doing with Blu-Ray. FCP is pretty dang popular, so I think it's essential that Apple supports HD-DVD.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2005, 05:10 PM

I don't think they're supporting HD-DVD, they just added support in DVDSP4 to burn HD (H.264) onto regular DVDs (i think it's the difference between HD-DVD and HD DVD). During their event at NAB today, they said that all existing superdrives would be able to burn the HD DVDs, so that would imply that they're not talking about the new blue-laser HD-DVD discs.

HD H.264 has similar bitrates to the MPEG2 regular commercial DVDs use, so you can fit a full-length HD movie onto a regular dual-layer DVD using H.264, and probably around an hour onto a single layer disc.

"I start fires!"

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 17, 2005, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
The majority of movie studios are going with HD-DVD. .
Bluray actually. Sony owns how many companies now after buying MGM last week?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2005, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
I don't think they're supporting HD-DVD, they just added support in DVDSP4 to burn HD (H.264) onto regular DVDs (i think it's the difference between HD-DVD and HD DVD). During their event at NAB today, they said that all existing superdrives would be able to burn the HD DVDs, so that would imply that they're not talking about the new blue-laser HD-DVD discs.

HD H.264 has similar bitrates to the MPEG2 regular commercial DVDs use, so you can fit a full-length HD movie onto a regular dual-layer DVD using H.264, and probably around an hour onto a single layer disc.
Blu-ray is blue laser, while HD-DVD is red laser.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 17, 2005, 07:15 PM

I also think they meant High Definition video on current DVDs and not the HD-DVD format. Apple is quite firmly in the Bluray camp although Sony is now in talks with the competition about unifying the standard...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04..._hd-dvd_talks/

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2005, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Blu-ray is blue laser, while HD-DVD is red laser.
No, both use a blue laser.

In their same presentation today at NAB, apple had speakers from sony and their own people saying that Apple is committed to supporting Blu-Ray in the future, but for now their HD support is for H.264 on regular DVDs.

"I start fires!"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
Bluray actually. Sony owns how many companies now after buying MGM last week?
HD-DVD is supported by Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema, Paramount Pictures, and Universal Pictures.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 05:58 AM

I'm pretty certain that both HD-DVDs and BluRay use blue lasers. Which makes me wonder how on earth Superdrives can burn content onto HD-DVDs..never knew if it was possible. Also i know that Apple is part of the Blu-Ray assiciation AND the DVD forum.

I personally prefer HD-DVDs.

What matters to me i nthis debate:
-a full length 3 hour movie should be able to fit on it.
-low production costs
-backwards and forward compatibility.
-Movies studios agree on a single format.(any word from the MPAA , or do they even have a say in it ?)

The rest of the details couldnt matter less to me in the long run.

What was the competitor to DVD ? was it that Laser Disc crap ?

nbnz
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Which makes me wonder how on earth Superdrives can burn content onto HD-DVDs..never knew if it was possible
It's not possible.

Superdrives can burn HD content onto a standard DVD, but they can't burn content onto HD-DVDs.

The difference is HD content vs HD media.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 07:24 AM

Both are blue laser.

Since no blu-ray or HD DVD burners exist on the market, either they are coming out soon, or Apple is expecting the pro-market to start using this for HD production. They might as well be the first. Apple being a blu-ray supporter confused me when they announced FCP HD DVD support. What's going on here?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by nbnz
It's not possible.

Superdrives can burn HD content onto a standard DVD, but they can't burn content onto HD-DVDs.

The difference is HD content vs HD media.

Thats what i figured.

Cheers

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 07:00 PM

Yeah, like i said, they mean HD DVD in the sense that it's just HD on a regular DVD, not the actual HD-DVD brand. It was a really bad way for apple to word that, though.

"I start fires!"

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 09:09 PM

IIRC, Thomson's playing both sides.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2005, 06:07 AM

No, both use a blue laser.

In their same presentation today at NAB, apple had speakers from sony and their own people saying that Apple is committed to supporting Blu-Ray in the future, but for now their HD support is for H.264 on regular DVDs.
My apologies for the definitively stated erroneous contention. I was certain that HD-DVD used red laser technology, hence its greater compatibility with regular DVD players.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2005, 07:18 AM

I'm surprised that no one has pointed out that HD-DVD is Windows Media Based (VC1).

From TheDigitalBits.com
Las Vegas, NV (April 18, 2005) -- Today at the National Association of Broadcasters convention, NAB2005, Warner Bros. Studios and Microsoft Corp. announced their plans to collaborate on the release of a broad range of next-generation HD DVD discs using Windows Media Video 9, Microsoft's implementation of VC-1, the proposed Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE) standard approved by the DVD Forum for HD DVD. Warner Home Video currently plans to release titles in the fourth quarter of 2005. HD DVD represents the first major push to deliver high-definition content to consumers on optical media in the U.S.
Apple's HD DVD must be some generic application of the term.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2005, 07:49 AM

That is totally lame. Why would the standards committee approve a proprietary based spec? I am now firmly in the Blu-ray camp. Concerning Apple's use of the term HD DVD, it must be HD video on regular DVD. There is no patent on the term HD or HD video.

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2005, 08:22 AM

More confusing alpabet soup. HD DVD and HD-DVD are not the same thing. HD DVD is using newer codecs (software) to encode HD onto DVDs. HD-DVD and Blu-ray are 2 of 5 new DVD Disc and player (hardware) standards being bandied about. They are the top two contenders at the moment, and are making moves to reconcile their camps. If this happens, then they will become the new hardware standard. Software side, H.264 and VC-1 (MS WMV9 format) are the proposed encoding standards. The movie industry is worried though, because they are not sure if they can trust Steve Jobs, and they know they can't trust MS, so they seem to be wanting both codecs written into the spec.

More Info (especially sections 4 and 6 for this discussion):

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 04:06 PM

yeah, i believe both HD-DVD and BluRay will support WMV9, H.264 and MPEG2 as standard codecs (i.e. all players will have to be able to decode all three formats)

"I start fires!"

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2005, 08:44 PM

yeah, i believe both HD-DVD and BluRay will support WMV9, H.264 and MPEG2 as standard codecs (i.e. all players will have to be able to decode all three formats)
So, instead of paying one decoder license, they'll be paying three. The next generation movie disc players are going to be pretty expensive, I guess, all because the movie industry doesn't trust either of the "big players" in the industry, Bill Gates, or Steve Jobs.

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 20, 2005, 10:34 PM

Windows Media is crap for the simple reason that H.264 is going to be the most popular digital motion codec being used for films, home videos, cellphones and internet p0rn won't be using WMV9 nearly as much. What's the point filming in H.264 and converting to other codecs? None. Die WMV9 die.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
Windows Media is crap for the simple reason that H.264 is going to be the most popular digital motion codec being used for films, home videos, cellphones and internet p0rn won't be using WMV9 nearly as much. What's the point filming in H.264 and converting to other codecs? None. Die WMV9 die.
It's easy to say that now, but look at the pervasiveness of WMV. In case you haven't noticed, invading and taking over a market with inferior products is Microsoft's specialty.

"I start fires!"

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 06:06 PM

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&id=334897

Seems talks are underway to get a unified format created.

I sure hope they do, because I really would like the next format to just be one thing. 2 formats confuses consumers who have all finally moved to DVD. A single format, that compliments DVD for awhile before its the main thing would be very good.

DVD audio has trouble from the same issue.

-Owl

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 06:16 PM

I wouldn't say DVD-Audio is the only one having trouble. From what I've seen, both DVD-Audio and SACD have about the same selection, but both suffer from an overwhelming lack of interest from consumers. HD audio is a high-end product, and most people just don't have the equipment to take advantage of it.

The same will probably be true of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray at first. They're not only competing against each other, but also against regular DVD-Video discs, which are still as good as most consumers' equipment can handle. Until the majority of consumers own HDTVs, which won't be for many years, there's no reason for most people to buy HD DVD players.

Another point is that combination DVD-Audio/SACD players are becoming increasingly common. While it will be more difficult with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (since the discs are physically laid out differently), I'm sure combination players for those formats will become increasingly common, as well.

How long before I can buy a combo CD/DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player for a couple hundred bucks?

"I start fires!"

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 06:32 PM

How long before I can buy a combo CD/DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player for a couple hundred bucks?
Those will be cool.

Need one that will do DivX/Xvid/MP3/ACC/AC3/ogg too!

-Owl

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
What was the competitor to DVD ? was it that Laser Disc crap ?
There was no competitor to DVD.

LaserDisc is a lot older and analog actually. Funny tech.

“Building Better Worlds”

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 07:05 PM

Yeah, laser discs were around in the 80s I think, went to the time around the movie "The Rock".

-Owl

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2005, 07:54 PM

I remember watching Star Wars on Laserdisc...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2005, 02:00 AM

don't forget player/burner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules