Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > All Mac OS X Tiff viewer worse than Windows viewer..

All Mac OS X Tiff viewer worse than Windows viewer..
JohnCoffee
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 06:33 PM

I'm looking for a fast TIFF viewer - just to view simple 400dpi TIFF files for OS X.....

When comparing to a application called "Kodak Image viewer" on 98 or XP - all OS X TIFF viewers look inferior. I have to admit. I envy my collegues at work when they look at mechanical engineering drawings - since speed to display the images is just unbevievable fast. Zooming into images and moving them around the screen is much slower and not convenient on Mac Applications like Graphicconverter :the best I found so far, but still behind Kodaks program for Windows or M$ Windows Picture viewer.

I'm not talking here about images with a size of 1024x768 Pixels. Our Tiff images are infact between 10000..20000 Pixels (width) and 7000..14000 Pixels in size (height). even opening them on a crappy 500 MHz GHzAcer notebook is 3..5 times faster than on my 15" Powerbook G4.

anybody can suggest a fast tiff viewer ?

Regards
JC
( Last edited by JohnCoffee; Apr 22, 2005 at 01:38 AM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2005, 10:36 PM

Preview can view TIFFs.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2005, 01:01 AM

Preview should be as fast or faster than anything on a PC.
Make sure you are at least running MacOS 10.3 Panther.

JohnCoffee  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2005, 01:19 AM

Nada - Preview isn't faster - with these large size TIFF's. Unfortunately.,,,,

Thinine
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 03:11 AM

How much RAM do you have? That'll probably be the deciding factor when using Preview. It likes to store the entire image in memory.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 03:25 AM

Yeah, Preview chokes on large TIFF files.

Try this.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7338

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2005, 06:18 AM

Have you tried GraphicConverter yet? It's overkill if all you want to do is view TIFFs, but it may do what you want anyway.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2005, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Have you tried GraphicConverter yet? It's overkill if all you want to do is view TIFFs, but it may do what you want anyway.
Yeah, he said he found GC inconvenient.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff
Yeah, Preview chokes on large TIFF files.

Try this.
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/7338
Looks to be pretty fast, though I'll admit I don't have any TIFs anywhere close to 10K x 10K pixels.

John, let us know how this works for you.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by JohnCoffee
I'm looking for a fast TIFF viewer - just to view simple 400dpi TIFF files for OS X.....

When comparing to a application called "Kodak Image viewer" on 98 or XP - all OS X TIFF viewers look inferior. I have to admit. I envy my collegues at work when they look at mechanical engineering drawings - since speed to display the images is just unbevievable fast. Zooming into images and moving them around the screen is much slower and not convenient on Mac Applications like Graphicconverter (the best I found, but still behind Kodaks program for Windows).

I'm not talking here about images with a size of 1024x768 Pixels. Our Tiff images are infact between 10000..20000 Pixels (width) and 7000..14000 Pixels in size (height). even opening them on a crappy 500 MHz GHzAcer notebook is 3..5 times faster than on my 15" Powerbook G4.

anybody can suggest a fast tiff viewer ?

Regards
JC
What's a mechanical engineer doing without a PC? Get a Windows PC immediately.

JohnCoffee  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2005, 12:58 PM

Tried jView - thanks for the suggestion. I tried it - but again with a 10k x 10k Picture - the harddisk accesses data for about 3min. to change size from fit to screen to 200%. To say it again: on a crappy Pentium 700Mhz it takes less than 5 sec. to do this with the Kodak program.
Wondering whether it could me made available on a Mac. Also I'm wondering how fast it would open my Tiffs using VPC.
Apparently, the Kodak Tiff viewer program has been written with large TIFFs in mind and it has some clever algorithm to display portions of drawings without involving movement of large junks of memory.

My guess is that such a application mustn't use Quicktime libraries to decode the TIFF's. All lack of the same problem then. Just a wild guest.

Btw. my system has 1.5GB of RAM memory...

New suggestions are highly welcome.

John

P.S. If someone likes to test himself, I would be glad to send such a tiff by mail.

JohnCoffee  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2005, 01:28 PM

I just found this here:
http://www.acordex.com/browseProd/VTplugin.html

its unbelievable fast - I'm gonna try it. The only cave at is that it's a browser plugin. but it opens my TIFFS almost instantaneously and I can zoom within a fraction of a second. Unbelievable..

cheers.

John

JohnCoffee  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2005, 05:26 PM

Don't want to over stress this...but finally found the standalone app on the site:

http://www.acordex.com/productFacts/...s/docview.html

It's called Docview and beats everything out there. So fast - never seen anything like that.

cheers everyone.

John

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 01:35 AM

glad we could help... I mean... did you try graphic converter

Thanks for sharing your finding.

JohnCoffee  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2005, 01:48 AM

Graphicconverter - sure. It lacks of speed compared to Docview. Way behind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules