Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbooks shipping with Tiger??

Powerbooks shipping with Tiger??
TiBookFriend
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2005, 03:12 PM

Anyone have any idea when that will happen?

osxisfun
Apr 22, 2005, 03:19 PM

prob 3 weeks.

don't forget thought that if you buy a mac from retail they have been sitting there for a few weeks.

StonedRose
Apr 22, 2005, 04:08 PM

I think the day of the "official release" however, my reseller here has received a 12 inch PB today w/ 10.3.9

Aloha.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2005, 06:01 PM

If you bought the PB after 4/12, you are elegible for the up-to-date program

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

It's $9.95 for them to ship the DVD to you. The OS is no cost. Or the OS is $9.95 and it's free shipping. Potato/Potato.

I ordered my 12" PB today and after I got a confirmed web order number immediately plugged in the up-to-date info. No, the PB won't arrive with Tiger installed but the Tiger DVD and PB will arrive together, April 26 :-D

Hope that helps.

-Kris
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2005, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by bimmerphile
If you bought the PB after 4/12, you are elegible for the up-to-date program

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

It's $9.95 for them to ship the DVD to you. The OS is no cost. Or the OS is $9.95 and it's free shipping. Potato/Potato.

I ordered my 12" PB today and after I got a confirmed web order number immediately plugged in the up-to-date info. No, the PB won't arrive with Tiger installed but the Tiger DVD and PB will arrive together, April 26 :-D

Hope that helps.

-Kris
Does anyone know if this upgrade DVD will include or reinstall the ilife programs (and all of the other programs that come bundled with the Powerbook?

I am waiting for my upgrade DVD here as well...

Thanks,
Jeff
"Mac Daddy" - 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz Core i7, 8GB, 750GB HDD
"Mommy Mac" - 13" Macbook, 2.4GHz C2D, 2GB, 160GB
"Baby Mac" - 15" PB, 1.5GHz, 1.5GB, 80GB
64GB iPod Touch (4th gen)

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2005, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72
Does anyone know if this upgrade DVD will include or reinstall the ilife programs (and all of the other programs that come bundled with the Powerbook?

I am waiting for my upgrade DVD here as well...

Thanks,
Jeff
It doesn't touch the iLife '05 installation that comes with your powerbook. It installs right over the existing system, and is a little slow at first because Spotlight indexes all your files/mail imports your mailboxes/iphoto updates your library (only if you're using 4.x, w/ 5.x it's fine).

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2005, 12:02 AM

It doesn't touch the iLife '05 installation that comes with your powerbook. It installs right over the existing system, and is a little slow at first because Spotlight indexes all your files/mail imports your mailboxes/iphoto updates your library (only if you're using 4.x, w/ 5.x it's fine).
So if I want to do a "clean install" I would have to reinstall Panther and then install the upgrade? Or should it allow an archive and install option (probably the one I will choose)?

sonicj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2005, 12:40 AM

i asked the ilife question via email and got a response to call cust support. hmmm... im gonna do a fresh install vs a upgrade! no bueno!

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2005, 03:57 AM

The up-to-date discs will be upgrades, meaning it will need to see a copy of 10.3 on the drive first. If I recall correctly, you can still erase and install a clean copy, and then after that pop in the disc that came with the PB and install the iLife suite. That's my plan.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2005, 02:29 PM

I wonder what the shipping times would be after Tiger comes pre-installed... Probably much longer than it is now. Now that my homeowner's insurance has paid for my stolen 12", I can actually afford a replacement.
DBGFHRGL!

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2005, 09:42 PM

ilife will be untouched, meaning if you have ilife '05 and then upgrade to tiger, ilife 05 will still be there.

VTJustinB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by spiff72
So if I want to do a "clean install" I would have to reinstall Panther and then install the upgrade? Or should it allow an archive and install option (probably the one I will choose)?
The $9.99 disc for qualified hardware purchasers after April 12th is NOT an upgrade disc. It is an actual copy of Tiger. You can do a normal clean install (boot to the cd, format, install) with this disc.

Both the Apple Store and my campus distributor have confirmed that.

timmayXL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 04:20 PM

hey VTJustinB do u know if it's the same disc that you get with new macs at apple stores on friday?

VTJustinB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 26, 2005, 04:32 PM

No I don't know if that's the case.

I'm pretty sure it will be the same DVD as what comes in the retail package (I can't imagine if they didn't plan on an "upgrade" release of tiger that they'd go to the trouble of cutting a different version of the DVD for the up-to-date program). But as far as the other stuff that comes in the box (manual, iWork demo, etc.) who knows?

All I was really worried about was if it would be an upgrade disc and I'd have to do a clean install of panther before installing tiger, which thankfully doesn't appear to be the case =o).

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by VTJustinB
The $9.99 disc for qualified hardware purchasers after April 12th is NOT an upgrade disc. It is an actual copy of Tiger. You can do a normal clean install (boot to the cd, format, install) with this disc.

Nice info...

Now I am just waiting anxiously for it to ship. (The order from Apple is still "processing"). It seems that they are promising the full price (and edu price) versions to arrive by the 29th, while the $9.99 ones are set to SHIP on or before the 29th. Pretty vague!

Thanks,
Jeff

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 09:22 AM

Got my up-to-date disc today.

It's a retail full version model-independent copy of Tiger. Yay.

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by VTJustinB

Interesting. I stand corrected.

spiff72
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 09:39 AM

Got my up-to-date disc today.

It's a retail full version model-independent copy of Tiger. Yay.
Dang. Did your status ever say that it went beyond the processing stage? And where are u located? I still show mine as "processing". I am wondering if I should just watch for the package here at work (what shipping method did they use?).

Thanks,
Jeff

Forum Links
Forum Rules