Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger and processor upgrades?

Tiger and processor upgrades?
Mauro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 27, 2005, 12:37 AM

I know that Apple's Tiger page states that processor upgrades are not supported.... But now that some have received Tiger, has anyone been able to, or can confirm if, Tiger will run with G4 processor upgrades? Any processor upgrade? A Sonnet Duet 1.3GHz?

I am now waiting to see if I upgrade my Dual 450 or if I am forced to buy a G5 if I want to use Tiger to its full potential...

Thanks,

Mauro

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2005, 12:48 AM

Much of tiger relies on things besides the processor itself. The cache, I/O speed, hard drive speed, RAM speed, video card... all these things will keep your from running Tiger to its full potential, no matter how fast the upgraded processor is.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

PubGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 01:54 AM

Well, I have a G4-400 with an OWC 800 MHz upgrade card, ATI 8500 graphics card, Macally enhanced keyboard, Microsoft wireless mouse, Belkin 54G PCI wireless card, 3 internal hard drives plus an aftermarket combo DVDRW/CDRW drive --- and Tiger installed fine and is running well.

faragbre967
Senior User
Apr 27, 2005, 02:52 PM

They mean Tiger doesn't support a PM 9600 with a G4 upgrade card. I got worried too cause I have a 1 ghz upgrade in my quicksilver.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2005, 02:57 PM

Every version of the MacOS says that upgrade cards aren't supported. And it means just that, it isn't supported, you get no support for them. I doesn't say that it won't work. It will work, don't worry.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 09:28 AM

I wouldn't worry. I have a sonnet 800 MHz and I installed Tiger on my Sawtooth with this upgrade card in it and it works just fine. When they say unsupported they mean if you have issues with it that are related to the processor upgrade don't go calling them.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Mauro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 05:54 PM

Hello. Those of you that have been able to run Tiger on processor upgrade cards, did you have to upgrade compatibility software (e.g. XpostFacto, etc.) or did it just run after it was installed over your previous system? And related to that question, did you do an archive and install or just an upgrade?

Thanks for the info!

Mauro.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mauro
Hello. Those of you that have been able to run Tiger on processor upgrade cards, did you have to upgrade compatibility software (e.g. XpostFacto, etc.) or did it just run after it was installed over your previous system? And related to that question, did you do an archive and install or just an upgrade?

Thanks for the info!

Mauro.

No. If you are running a Machine that can run Panther normally there is not need for Xpostfacto. I have an old Sawtooth that Ran Panther just fine without any other software to get Panther installed. All I did was just Install Tiger on it and it runs great.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Footy
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mauro
I know that Apple's Tiger page states that processor upgrades are not supported.... But now that some have received Tiger, has anyone been able to, or can confirm if, Tiger will run with G4 processor upgrades? Any processor upgrade? A Sonnet Duet 1.3GHz?

I am now waiting to see if I upgrade my Dual 450 or if I am forced to buy a G5 if I want to use Tiger to its full potential...

Thanks,

Mauro
Geeesh NOV 1999 and only 3 posts... Where you been hiding!

As it's been said, if you have a Mac that in it's stock form would run Panther you should be fine. Powerlogix dual 1.3 in my QS and not one issue.

Alexei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 01:09 PM

Installed Tiger and it's running great but can't enable backside cache. CacheControl and CPU Director can't install Plkext extension.
Anybody knows how to deal with it?
Thanks.
Alexei.

Alexei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 09:06 PM

PowerLogix just posted an updated version of CPU Director. Tiger is flies now, works great!

Forum Links
Forum Rules