Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > 16:9 aspect ratio in iMovie?

16:9 aspect ratio in iMovie?
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 03:54 PM

We just got a new Canon ZR100 digital video camera and it does 16:9 recording. The problem is that I just tried importing a clip into iMovie and iMovie stretched the video upwards. How do I import miniDV 16:9 film into iMovie while retaining the 16:9 ratio?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 07:02 PM

I think it's in the preferences somewhere where you change the setting.

loki74
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 01:50 AM

the ZR100 is a consumer-level camera, so Im guessing its 16:9 mode is hard matte. The CCD is still a 4:3 chip, so it records the 4:3 image and just blacks out the rest of it. You'll have higher resolution using 4:3, or better yet, getting a cheap anamorphic converter (theres a 27mm for only like 300).

Because it is most likely a hard matte, the letterbox is part of the signal. The image is still 4:3, so you just stay in 4:3... im not sure Im explaining this well... Basically, the back bars are part of the picture, so you have a fullscreen image that just happens to have only part of it visible. therefore, there should be no need to change the settings

The way I understand it, the only reason you would need to change any settings would be if you used an anamorphic converter, so you'd have to tell the computer/DVD player to stretch the image horizontally, or everything will look squeezed in and long and ungly and stuff.

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
the ZR100 is a consumer-level camera, so Im guessing its 16:9 mode is hard matte. The CCD is still a 4:3 chip, so it records the 4:3 image and just blacks out the rest of it. You'll have higher resolution using 4:3, or better yet, getting a cheap anamorphic converter (theres a 27mm for only like 300).

Because it is most likely a hard matte, the letterbox is part of the signal. The image is still 4:3, so you just stay in 4:3... im not sure Im explaining this well... Basically, the back bars are part of the picture, so you have a fullscreen image that just happens to have only part of it visible. therefore, there should be no need to change the settings

The way I understand it, the only reason you would need to change any settings would be if you used an anamorphic converter, so you'd have to tell the computer/DVD player to stretch the image horizontally, or everything will look squeezed in and long and ungly and stuff.
The cameras I used back 'bout 6 years ago had that hard matte look to them. It was as though they did the 16:9 just by cropping the top/bottom and smushing the rest together. This camera seems to support true 16:9 where it doesn't stretch anything to the side but actually extends the amount that you see when you record, but I can't get it to import into iMovie without it stretching upwards. I could be wrong, but didn't iMovie 5 add support for 16:9 (or whatever the latest version of iMovie is)?

macintologist
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 08:15 AM

Go to File -> New Project

In that next dialog box there's a little triange called Video format or something.

Choose DV widescreen!

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by macintologist
Go to File -> New Project

In that next dialog box there's a little triange called Video format or something.

Choose DV widescreen!
I just tried that and the only thing that happened was that I could type in the name of the new project, but it gave me no format selection. This is in iMovie 4.0.1. Is it the latest version that supports widescreen?

Forum Links
Forum Rules