Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Xbox 2 Launching On MTV May 12th

Xbox 2 Launching On MTV May 12th (Page 3)
Severed Hand of Skywalker  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by cruciarius
^ thats virtual boy...really old...

i'm not interested in xbox at all. its microsoft aka the enemy. everything they do sucks. they bought bungie, just before halo was released for mac. they made the 2nd worst controller ever (1st is dreamcast).

sony...every system (PSONE, PS2 and PSP) have had countless returns for defects. how could anyone trust the PS3? it'll break/not work until near the end of the systems life, when they finally remake it , which probably will take them a few revisions.

nintendo may release their systems later than others, but they always have had the best designs. it takes about 4 gamecubes to equal xbox's size, but look at the graphics. no difference. i have never heard anyone returning a gamecube, because of a defect (i worked at a KB Toys when it was released).

i for one, can't wait for the next nintendo system or the next gameboy (the DS isn't the next gameboy!).

Wrong, even the PS2 has better support and LOOKS better than the GameCube. I hate everything about microsoft but the Xbox. I love my xbox, they did a great job with it as they had to try hard to get the market share, not sit back and release shitty products because they have a monopoly (i.e. Nintendo DS).

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 02:36 PM

Well, I think the Cube is a better looking and more attractive console than the PS2 so I guess it's all based on opinion.

The Xbox is however, the ugliest console EVER. It's a good system, but egads, it's hidious.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Well, I think the Cube is a better looking and more attractive console than the PS2 so I guess it's all based on opinion.

The Xbox is however, the ugliest console EVER. It's a good system, but egads, it's hidious.
I thought the same at first but it was really designed to site on a stereo shelf. I don't care about the size of weight of the damn thing as I set it on the shelf once and that's it.
Look how nicely it fits on my shelf (on the bottom right). The gamecube has to be put behind the TV because of the stupid top loading tray that makes it impossible to put on a stereo shelf.

http://homepage.mac.com/bitfly/.Pict...c/samsung3.jpg

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 03:10 PM

It's not really the size of the Xbox that is the problem. It just looks horrible. The giant X on the top and the cheap plastic jewels with logo inside look so cheesy.

I also don't like how the power button and eject button are right next to each other. It's not very user friendly.

I hear what you are saying about the Cube though. It's odd shape and top-loading were a pretty bad idea in hindsight. Other than that though, I think it's a nice design. I have it on top of all my stereo equipment so the size of it doesn't bother me.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 03:37 PM

i really like the gamecube design. small and compact. though, i agree, a loading tray would have been better.

the PS2 design isn't that great. putting it on its side, which its supposed to be able to do, will freeze any game ( i have seen this twice on 2 different PS2s).

the xbox is huge and the ugliest system ever. even my old intellevsion was much better looking

edit:
i just remembered that panasonic released a gamecube (with nintendo's permission) that was a tray loader. it could also play dvds. though, the top was oddly shaped, with an lcd screen on it. this gamecube had to have its own special advance player adapter though.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 03:40 PM

My PS2 on its side from day one has NEVER once crashed in 3 years. My cube crashed 4 times and my Xbox 0.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 03:45 PM

My Xbox has crashed 2 or 3 times but my Cube has crashed ALOT. A whole lot.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 03:50 PM

i got my brother a gamecube when they first came out. just a few months ago, he had to buy another one, because of "dust damage" according to people at best buy. they told him it happens to all the systems, if not played/cleaned on a normal basis. the problem was in a star wars game he got, kept freezing at a certain point.

the new gamecube he has, has only frozen twice, but thats not the cube's fault. it was because of TimeSplitters Future Perfect, which has glitches and bugs in all 3 systems (i confirmed this on GameFAQs.com).

other than that 1 game, his cube has never frozen. not even with that star wars game. we play it all day long, on days off, and from we wake up until we go to bed, it never freezes.

so i don't know why your gamecube freezes, unless it needs to be cleaned.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 05:41 PM

I remember when the N64 got that RAM upgrade it had lots of crashing problems because of overheating. People use to run it with the plastic cover off so it would stay cooler.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 07:28 PM

well back then, just about any system would freeze. i had my sega genesis, N64, SNES and the classic NES all freeze on my, one time or another, but the freezing on those were users fault. having anything running for extended periods of time, will cause problems. i don't think those systems had fans built in, did they? they just had venting areas for the heat to leave, but those didn't do much, after hours and hours of playing.

though not game systems, i remember hearing about george lucas moving one of his labs. all their computers were left running for years (though probably had an occasional restart, due to updates) without any period to cool down. when they shut them down, to move them, all the boards fused together.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 07:53 PM

never had a console crash, cept for my modded xbox...

-Owl

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2005, 08:17 PM

I think I haave a buggy Cube, because it happens to me all the time. It's not bad enough to get a new one, but it's kind of annoying.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I remember when the N64 got that RAM upgrade it had lots of crashing problems because of overheating. People use to run it with the plastic cover off so it would stay cooler.
Weird, never happened to me and I run the N64 with a full size Zelda cover stick, could be a thing with the american system

THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 08:01 PM

Honestly, I have the original xbox (duh)... I bought it when the price dropped to 150. The only reason I ever wanted one was because of Halo and the fact is was supposed to be OURS (Mac people). Anyway, I've actually come to love the thing... it's pretty sweet what it can do... Doom 3 looked freakin' amazing on my 57" Toshiba... Something most computers in general can't say.

Then next XBOX, however, will definitely be on my list for several core reasons...

1) It's developed on G5s...
2) It will use G5-LIKE processors (three of them)
3) It will have a graphics card that is more powerful than anything on the market today (as stated through many gaming websites and M$)). Which is important to me... Since the X850XT is the top of the line (along with the 6800 from NVIDIA) is a damn powerful card and can put out serious horsepower, playing games that use the Unreal 3 Engine, Halflife 2 (which is coming to the regular xbox, btw) and can produce things not yet seen, gaming wise? Oh yeah.
4) Sub-$500 I bet... Since most graphics cards ALONE that put out cost more than that, that's an awesome investment.
5) LIVE. I've been really impressed with the system they have... Halo 2 online is amazing. Can't wait to see all what's in store.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2005, 04:00 AM

I will gladly pay a decent penny for this systems if the graphics look like those shown in some of the above posts. Some of them were really nice. I'm also hoping M$ will be slapping a hard drive in that sucker and letting me mod it gotta be able to play some old NES games...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus

hahahaha..... that so awesome !!!!

But in all honesty, im glad Microsoft is paying attention to the design. Cant wait to see the advances in design they do make.

If it looks like that VCR....well who can blame them ? they do rely on photocopiers for all their ideas and innovation. give them(or rather their photocopiers) some credit....they have been hard at work

csi95
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 09:54 AM

I think you guys are missing the boat.

It's not the looks that matter. It's not the company that matters. It's the games.

The Playstation has the best games. Period.

Xbox has Halo, and that's about it.

GameCube has Zelda, and that's about it.

PS2 has all the other games that come on the other consoles, and great PS2 only games like GT, Ratch & Clank, Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper.

I'll take the next PS3 -- just because I know it will have the games I want to play.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by csi95

It's not the looks that matter. It's not the company that matters. It's the games.

PS2 has all the other games that come on the other consoles, and great PS2 only games like GT, Ratch & Clank, Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper.

I'll take the next PS3 -- just because I know it will have the games I want to play.
Still jsut one persons opinion.

My friends find the XBox to have the best games for them.

-Owl

phillryu
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 10:25 AM

And meanwhile, with GameCube, you seem to forget games like Metroid: Prime, Resident Evil 4, Super Smash Brothers, etc.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2005, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by phillryu
And meanwhile, with GameCube, you seem to forget games like Metroid: Prime, Resident Evil 4, Super Smash Brothers, etc.
Mario sunshine, pikmin etc.

-Owl

radii_22
Apr 30, 2005, 10:46 AM

Xbox : The worst industrial design in game console industry. If it were not by Halo, Xbox would be a loss right now. MS has a very interesting way to do its things : they have no innovation, but illimited money. They buy innovation. They dit not have Final Fantasy, so they engaged the creator of FF to make an exclusive xbox game, the did not have a Gran Turismo, so they invested everithing in creating a racing game (i don't remember its name) who promises to be the next big thing...

Nice to think that those games are being created with G5 computers, running windows... (Xbox 2 is a PPC computer). I don't know, but I think that that's the only reason why the MS Mac Bussiness unit is still alive (and VPC), they need to know how does the Macs work.

In respect with Apple : dual 2.7 PPC 970GX... come on, that's so a little update... The Xbox is going to be twice faster! (they will be a trial Power6 at 1.5g). Even the Nintendo Revolution... what's happening?
--->>> Karate is only for defense

radii_22
Apr 30, 2005, 10:48 AM

Forgot : Gamecube? I think you are a little bit Xbox-PS centrists... 2002 better gamespy game : Metroid Prime, 2003 better console game (gamespot i guess) : Zelda the wind waker, 2005 better game (in any console, in any time i heard) will be : Resident Evil 4.
--->>> Karate is only for defense

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 07:17 AM

I have to disagree with you on the Gamecube part. The rest i agree...

I'm looking forward to all 3 consoles to be honest, and chances are ill pick the best one(for me). Ps3 is going to make waves imo.... the revolution...too early to say. And from what MS has announced so far...i have to say im not all that impressed(and thats not cause i hate MS)...i mean:
-HD...great.....for those of you who own HD TVs. i think HD is a given for all 3 consoles
-online 'services' pay for downloading cars, etc.... for games. Im unimpressed.... considering Nintendo has a free service in the wings.
-I guess we gotta wait and see what the bait for consumers is. if it's just a low price.... i'm going to be unimpressed.
-On the positive side, as i have said before, its nice to see Microsoft paying more attention to designing the damn thing more effectively and efficiently. Hopefully their controller design will evolve to something better as well.

And as for games, thus far it seems as though all the announced games are multiplatform. except for the franchizes of each company...obviously.

Oh well ...2 weeks to go eh ?

Cheers

coldfusion1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by phillryu
But you're going to find that there are less and less third party products coming out for the GC.
Then it will be just like the N64 where only Nintendo games kept it alive for as long as it did.
Also RE4 is coming to the PS2.

coldfusion1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 10:05 AM

In terms of next gen consoles chances :-

PS3 - As i own a PS2 its 95% certain i will get the PS3. Even if it doesnt have backwards compatibility (does anyone know yet?), Sony have already proven that they know how to sell a console to the masses and get the game-makers onboard (which is the MOST important thing for a console to be a success).

X-Box 2 - Probably less than 60% chance that i will buy this console. It depends on specifically the pricing and the support from game-makers. But it sounds like it could potentially be a great console.

Next Nintendo project - I reckon Nintendo will be a software only company (ala Sega) in a year or two. They dont have the skills to design a good console, but they have fantastic games designers. They should stick to what they're best at ...

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2005, 10:08 AM

RE4 isn't on PS2 yet? i heard of it going to the PS2, back when RE4 came out. i have RE4 and sure the graphics are nice, but...in all honesty, the game sucks. its too short and doesn't have much in replay value, other than for maybe 2 new guns.

its all opinion on what system has the better games. i say gamecube has the best, because i haven't seen anything for xbox and PS2 only has maybe 3 games. plus, IF i wanted to play those PS2 games, i'll just get the emulator.

some "popular" gamecube games, i don't like at all. super smash brothers, zelda wind waker and metroid prime aren't all that great, IMO.

its the less popular games that are better for gamecube. like f-zero gx, vexx and more.

phillryu
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 10:16 AM

They don't have the skills to design a good console? What do you mean by that? They certainly have the technical knowhow, with GameCube. If you're talking solely about looks, they could definitely come up with something sleek and sexy if they wanted. I think the problem is mostly their philosophy.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2005, 10:22 AM

nintendo has been making the best system out, since the SNES. why are you against the sleek compact design of the gamecube? it equals the xbox in graphic quality with a quarter of the system size. the gamecube also has the best controllers on the market today. so why do you think that nintendo will follow sega and only make games? i don't see that happening, unless most gamers suddenly stop playing games, which would hurt all systems out at the time.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by coldfusion1970
In terms of next gen consoles chances :-

PS3 - As i own a PS2 its 95% certain i will get the PS3. Even if it doesnt have backwards compatibility (does anyone know yet?), Sony have already proven that they know how to sell a console to the masses and get the game-makers onboard (which is the MOST important thing for a console to be a success).
For heavens sake quit saying that Nintendo will be a software only company !!!!!!!!

their hardware has generated millions in profit, if anyone should consider being a software only company it's Microsoft since it's lost billions on XBox hardware. bad hardware designers ? it's like saying Dells look better than Apple , both inside and out ! Compare XBox and PS2 designs to the black boxes dell ships, then compare the Cube to the iMacs. why would any business stop doing something thats profitable ?(and surprisingly inovative at the same time).

Anyway.... it's funny cause, since i own a GameCube, i will actually be taking a long hard look at all 3 consoles. I mean ill have my gamecube around to play those games, so backwards compatibility isnt all that great to me as a gamecube owner. u know ? id loe to have the Ps1, Ps2 and Ps3 libraries at my disposal(and will be a huge factor this coming generaion) as well..... to suppliment my gamecube. Obviously ill pick up a PS3 or XBox 360 if the revolutions turns out to be too 'far out' for me.

I'm keeping my options open (despite the fact that i come off as a Ninty-'fanboy' to most of youz).

Also i dont plan on getting in line the week before to pick any of the products up, ill wait for reviews to make sure there arent any serious defects, just as i do when Apple releases something

kentuckyfried
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 02:27 PM

Yes, that's what somebody was commenting over lunch this past Saturday:

"Microsoft's worried that if they call their new console the Xbox 2, it will sound like it's inferior to the Playstation 3...that's why they're thinking of re-branding the unit as the Xbox 360 so that there's a '3' in the name"

so dumb...

why even bother naming console units with numbers, as if they were bad movie sequels?
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by kentuckyfried

"Microsoft's worried that if they call their new console the Xbox 2, it will sound like it's inferior to the Playstation 3...that's why they're thinking of re-branding the unit as the Xbox 360 so that there's a '3' in the name"

so dumb...

why even bother naming console units with numbers, as if they were bad movie sequels?
They used to name them by the bits. i.e 32x and Nintendo 64 but sony knows most people don't know what it means so they just named it the Playstation 2 for many good reasons.

I agree with MS for not calling it the Xbox 2 because it will sound inferior to the PS3.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 02:58 PM

It's a dumb name, but all consoles have dumb names.

Xbox??? Playstation??? Dreamcast??? All pretty stupid really.

I don't care what it's called, I just want Perfect Dark!

Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 03:13 PM

It's a dumb name, but all consoles have dumb names.

Xbox??? Playstation??? Dreamcast??? All pretty stupid really.

I don't care what it's called, I just want Perfect Dark!
Perfect dark is a dumb name.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 03:15 PM

Yes it is.

Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 03:25 PM

Yes it is.
ort888 is a dumb name

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2005, 03:59 PM

Interview with Gates on the Xbox.
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000440041962/

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by kentuckyfried

so dumb...

Isnt that why they ended up with "Windows XP", cause they wanted an 'X' in the name to rival OSX and LinuX ?

They need more than a name change to make the transition from crap to quality, but there are always idiots out there who think they making a steal by buying their products.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 05:11 AM

Gates: "And so I�m not sure that you�ll ever see us do something that�s a game-only device"

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 3, 2005, 05:28 AM

He was talking about a handheld game-only device. He's happy to have a windows mobile phone or pda type device which plays games, not a pure gaming handheld.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Ham Sandwich
May 3, 2005, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by cruciarius
RE4 isn't on PS2 yet? i heard of it going to the PS2, back when RE4 came out. i have RE4 and sure the graphics are nice, but...in all honesty, the game sucks. its too short and doesn't have much in replay value, other than for maybe 2 new guns.

its all opinion on what system has the better games. i say gamecube has the best, because i haven't seen anything for xbox and PS2 only has maybe 3 games. plus, IF i wanted to play those PS2 games, i'll just get the emulator.

some "popular" gamecube games, i don't like at all. super smash brothers, zelda wind waker and metroid prime aren't all that great, IMO.

its the less popular games that are better for gamecube. like f-zero gx, vexx and more.
I'm not singling you out because your opinion is shared by many, so no offense. But, great games don't need to last 60 hours and don't need to have replay value! There's a trend in the industry to make these giant games that take 6 years to develop - I, for one, don't want to wait that long! Give me a good game like RE4, let me finish it in 20-so hours and then shelve it, maybe to play it again in a couple years.

But, back on to the topic of the thread, XBOX:
Will I get an XBOX 2 - or 360 - or whatever? Maybe. Most likely used and when the proper "workarounds" are in place.

The XBOX is the first system that I've bought used and bought with the intention of chipping it and never buying anything retail for it. I didn't want any sort of personal investment going to Microsoft and their plans to dominate every part of my "digital life". So, I don't know if it's my Microsoft loathing or just that there isn't anything really "fun" on the XBOX for me, but I've hardly touched the thing (and with about 80 games in my possesion, that's an accomplishment!). And yes, it is ugly and is heavy. It's right up there with my 3DO as "ugliest system ever".

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 06:54 AM

Apparently the XBox360 controllers and peripherals (all wireless) will be able to be used with your longhorn PCs as well.....thats quite a nifty integration if you ask me.

Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 01:58 PM

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Apparently the XBox360 controllers and peripherals (all wireless) will be able to be used with your longhorn PCs as well.....thats quite a nifty integration if you ask me.

That's cool, you know there will be a Mac hack version within a week.

All that aside if those controllers don't have rumble I will be pissed! It just isn't the same without it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

oharag
May 3, 2005, 04:00 PM

GameCube has exclusive rights to the Resident Evil series. I love that series, but refuse to but a gamecube. Oh well.

oharag
May 3, 2005, 04:03 PM

I also hope that porting Xbox 2 games to the Mac will be encouraged. Hopefully, Microjerks will allows this to happen.

Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by oharag
GameCube has exclusive rights to the Resident Evil series. I love that series, but refuse to but a gamecube. Oh well.
Actually there are rumors it is moving to other next gen systems.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2005, 04:17 PM

RE4 is on the way to the PS2. I'm pretty sure the agreeement is over. It had to have cost Capcom millions and millions of dollars in the long run. Why would they renew the deal? It would be idiotic.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2005, 02:20 AM

I just listened to a reallly terrible web radio show that supposedly interviewed someone who was at the XBOX 360 taping.

It was really bad and hard to get through. It may or may not be fake, but here is what she revealed: TiVo-like capabilities, DVD Burner, Xbox 360 is the name, Perfect Dark was the only playable game. She says that PD lloks like Counterstrike and that she wasn't sure if it was more detailed than Halo. She was a moron.

She didn't get any specs because she was an idiot, she also didn't pay attention to what the other games on the video display were. She was an idiot. Here is the transcript I wrote up on another board. Sadly, it's not that far off from the actual thing.

Yeah, like, this is the future and wow, you can like, I'm a gamer, you know and this is the future of gaming and it looks like counterstrike and It's going to be the future of gaming and you need it. It isn't as good as Halo, but it's good. It looks like counterstrike. Counterstrike. counterstrike. I think the, like, only game I've ever played is probably counterstrike, but I'm like, a gamer and it's awesome I saw sooo many, like celebrities and I'm a gamer and DVD burner and Tivo and I'm a gamer but it's like a new system, it has like, wireless and chat. I like clans and it will like probably have those or something. it's an all new system and I'm a gamer, and it's like a tivo and it's the future and I'm a gamer and you will need this or you will be left behind and I don't know what it looked like or what games are coming out or understand what was going on around me but I'm a gamer and like wow, you need this system because it's the future and it's like so cool to me, being a gamer. If you don't like, buy this system right away you will be so left behind because like, the one game I saw that didn't look as good as Halo to me because I'm like, totally stoned and have the IQ of a raccoon, and like, I don't even know what it looked like or any of the specs or any of the other games but like, you need this system or you may as well go kill yourself in the closet and die because you will be like so sad because this is the future of gaming and I'm a gamer.

Mafia
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 03:16 PM

http://www.mafia-designs.com

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mafia
Hmmm, its still quite big, looks like its the size of a ReplayTV.

-Owl

Forum Links
Forum Rules