Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apple Java 2 SE - 5.0R1

Apple Java 2 SE - 5.0R1
PeterKG
Senior User
Apr 30, 2005, 11:17 AM

Hi!

This download is available at Versiontracker, and Apple's web site. It is not availble in Software Update. It only is for 10.4 users, but should 10.4 users install this? I'm confused as to why it is not a Software Update item. What are you other users going to do?

Thanks!
MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7), 1.6 GHz, Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 128 GB SSD, 24" LED ACD, 1TB Time Capsule (late 2009), IOS4 ATV, 16GB iPhone 4

Evinyatar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2005, 11:44 AM

I'm assuming this is because it's a preview release and not ready for mass usage. I'm gonna try it anyway.
PowerMac G4 400MHz/832MB/60GB
AlBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1.5GB/60GB
Athlon 64 3500+/Asus A8N-SLI Premium/2GB RAM/990GB HD/GF7800GT 512

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Apr 30, 2005, 12:16 PM

This is no preview release. It's the real thing. Java 1.4.2 and Java 1.3.1 will still be installed and fully operational on your Mac after you have installed this update. Java 1.4.2 will stay the default, but Java applications that require Java 1.5 can request 1.5.

petrol
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2005, 01:23 PM

Is it safe to assume that Apple will not be making 1.5 available for Panther?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 01:55 PM

from what I understand yes, no 1.5 for Panther.

thefamousmred
Apr 30, 2005, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by petrol
Is it safe to assume that Apple will not be making 1.5 available for Panther?
No need to assume. Read the first FAQ:

http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/

cygsid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2005, 03:54 PM

well that just sucks... that Java 5.0 will not be available on earlier versions than Tiger!!!

That's just totally incomprehensible to me, and I can only hate Apple with a passion for doing this kind of things.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2005, 02:36 PM

Anybody noticed a big difference with this version installed or anything?

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2005, 02:54 PM

I'll personally wait till it's in SU before updating.

badtz
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 03:06 PM

has anyone made this the default over 1.4.2?

are there any cons in doing this?

Tsilou B.
Senior User
May 1, 2005, 03:23 PM

I have made it the default and haven't noticed any disadvantages. Finally, I can move back from Windows to the Mac for Java development. (I had to switch because I work on Java 1.5 apps.) However, I can't guarantee that there won't be a single applet which refuses to run with 1.5. That said, if you don't have any Java applications or applets that require 1.5, there's no need to install it. It isn't much faster, prettier or something like that compared to 1.4.2.

I also think that it "sucks" that Apple won't make Java 1.5 available for Mac OS X Panther. On the Windows side, you can use Java 1.5 even with Windows 98, an operating system that's 7 years / 84 months old and uses a totally obsolete kernel. If it was the same on the Mac, Java 1.5 should still run on Mac OS 8.5. But it doesn't even run on Panther, which is only 18 months old.

piracy
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tsilou B.
I also think that it "sucks" that Apple won't make Java 1.5 available for Mac OS X Panther. On the Windows side, you can use Java 1.5 even with Windows 98, an operating system that's 7 years / 84 months old and uses a totally obsolete kernel. If it was the same on the Mac, Java 1.5 should still run on Mac OS 8.5. But it doesn't even run on Panther, which is only 18 months old.
I'm surprised someone who is a Java developer would say something like this.

You should know that Mac OS X is not a tier 1 platform for Sun, meaning that Sun doesn't develop the Java Runtime Environment and JDK for Mac OS X itself directly, as it does for other platforms, like Windows.

Apple has no choice but to port itself, and MUST wait for major milestones and releases to do the porting work. Additionally, it's heavily integrated with Mac OS X and a LOT changed with the kernel and core OS in Tiger. Making Java 1.5/5.0 available on Panther would be a major backporting effort requiring parallel development, QA, and testing, as well as expensive - both financially and in manhours - maintenance and upkeep. It's about priorities.

So if you want to complain to someone, complain to Sun. It's pretty amazing that Apple was able to have Java 1.5/5.0 available on the same day that Tiger shipped.

rjudd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 04:27 PM

I'm glad that 1.5 has made it to the Mac as we're moving over now at work. It really sucks that Apple has made this a 10.4 only install. I read somewhere that the binaries can be copied onto 10.3 and it works. This makes me think that Apple has made it 10.4 only to give users a reason to upgrade.

jaknudsen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 04:33 PM

Can anyone check if Acquisition is working after applying this update? I get the "Java Runtime can't load" error message, been trying both settings in the Java Preferences app. Using Tiger 8A425 (yes, I know).

damosan
Forum Regular
May 1, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by cygsid
well that just sucks... that Java 5.0 will not be available on earlier versions than Tiger!!!

That's just totally incomprehensible to me, and I can only hate Apple with a passion for doing this kind of things.
The same way applications started to only support 10.3 over the 10.2 chain? Get over it.

piracy
Mac Elite
May 1, 2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by rjudd
I'm glad that 1.5 has made it to the Mac as we're moving over now at work. It really sucks that Apple has made this a 10.4 only install. I read somewhere that the binaries can be copied onto 10.3 and it works. This makes me think that Apple has made it 10.4 only to give users a reason to upgrade.
That's not the only reason. Whether it "works" or not on 10.3, it's

- not supported

- not tested

- probably broken in many areas

- would cost a lot of money and time to support, since Apple has to do ALL Java testing, QA, bug remediation, etc., on Mac OS X itself, where as Sun does this for Windows

JLL
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by rjudd
A lot of stuff like Swing doesn't work when copied to Panther.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by piracy
I'm surprised someone who is a Java developer would say something like this.

You should know that Mac OS X is not a tier 1 platform for Sun, meaning that Sun doesn't develop the Java Runtime Environment and JDK for Mac OS X itself directly, as it does for other platforms, like Windows.

Apple has no choice but to port itself, and MUST wait for major milestones and releases to do the porting work. Additionally, it's heavily integrated with Mac OS X and a LOT changed with the kernel and core OS in Tiger. Making Java 1.5/5.0 available on Panther would be a major backporting effort requiring parallel development, QA, and testing, as well as expensive - both financially and in manhours - maintenance and upkeep. It's about priorities.

So if you want to complain to someone, complain to Sun. It's pretty amazing that Apple was able to have Java 1.5/5.0 available on the same day that Tiger shipped.
Of course you're right - I would never expect Apple to port Java 1.5 to systems older than 10.3. But you also have to keep in mind that Java 1.5 has been out for more than half a year and at the time it was released, Panther was still Apple's latest available operating system. While I understand that Apple isn't able to release Java 1.5 at the same time it becomes available for "tier 1" platforms, I think it would be fair to expect that you will at least get it some time later without having to buy a new operating system.

Look at Apple's Java mailing list, there're people who have tried to install Java 1.5 on Panther. You will notice that pretty much everything in Java 1.5 except for AWT/Swing works on Panther, too. Then look at the release notes and try to find the new stuff that has apparently required making the Swing implementation incompatible with Panther. You'll find these new features:
  • Cocoa Java Plugin Public API
  • javax.print Support

If one of these features could not easily be made available for Panther, Apple could simply leave it out in their Panther implementation of Java 1.5.

They have also fixed a few known issues and implemented some new features for 1.5 - but there's not one single thing that looks like it could not have been ported to Panther and even if one fix/addition would really be that much harder to implement on Panther, they could have fixed/added it for their Mac OS X Tiger implementation only. It's not like Java developers would complain: "Oh my god, showing a contextual menu over multiple JTable rows still causes the selection to be lost in Java 1.5 for Panther. It would have been better if they hadn't released 1.5 for Panther at all."

Yes, it would still have been more expensive for Apple to support Java 1.5 on Panther, too. But I really think that it should be allowed to criticize Apple for not spending the money.

BTW: I certainly have missed many of your posts, piracy, but of those I've read, this is the first time I've ever disagreed with you. (That was meant as a compliment.)

petrol
Forum Regular
May 2, 2005, 10:50 AM

Can anyone tell me why exactly Sun does not consider Mac OS X a tier 1 platform?

From the Java site it looks like they only release Java for Solaris, Windows and Linux. I guess getting it to run in Windows is obviously important, and if they didn't do it for Linux, who would?

JLL
Professional Poster
May 2, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by petrol
Can anyone tell me why exactly Sun does not consider Mac OS X a tier 1 platform?

From the Java site it looks like they only release Java for Solaris, Windows and Linux. I guess getting it to run in Windows is obviously important, and if they didn't do it for Linux, who would?
Suns sell machines with Solaris and Linux, and they won't let MS touch Java.

Otherwise it's up to the OS maker (Apple, HP, IBM, *BSD) to port Java to the platform, and AFAIK Mac OS X is the most up-to-date second tier platform out there.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tsilou B.
Look at Apple's Java mailing list, there're people who have tried to install Java 1.5 on Panther. You will notice that pretty much everything in Java 1.5 except for AWT/Swing works on Panther, too. Then look at the release notes and try to find the new stuff that has apparently required making the Swing implementation incompatible with Panther. You'll find these new features:
  • Cocoa Java Plugin Public API
  • javax.print Support

If one of these features could not easily be made available for Panther, Apple could simply leave it out in their Panther implementation of Java 1.5.
No, no they couldn't, particularly not in the case of the Cocoa-Java Plugin Public API. If Apple took this out in Panther, then many if not most Cocoa-Java apps would cease to work on Panther, and they could not be fixed without fundamental rewrites. This is not acceptable. This doesn't even take AWT/Swing into account; quite a few important Java apps (even on the Mac) depend on this support, and once again they couldn't be made to work with this "stripped-down Java". What you ask is tantamount to asking Apple to break Java in order to port it.

I am extremely confused that a Java developer would require this explanation.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 02:26 PM

Acquisition tells me to reinstall the OS. This is with the retail copy (8A428) with Java 1.5 PR1 installed.

piracy
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
Acquisition tells me to reinstall the OS. This is with the retail copy (8A428) with Java 1.5 PR1 installed.
PR1?

You mean Java 1.5 Release 1? This isn't a preview release...it's a final version.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by piracy
PR1?

You mean Java 1.5 Release 1? This isn't a preview release...it's a final version.

Yeah...that's what I meant.

Tsilou B.
Senior User
May 2, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
No, no they couldn't, particularly not in the case of the Cocoa-Java Plugin Public API. If Apple took this out in Panther, then many if not most Cocoa-Java apps would cease to work on Panther, and they could not be fixed without fundamental rewrites. This is not acceptable. This doesn't even take AWT/Swing into account; quite a few important Java apps (even on the Mac) depend on this support, and once again they couldn't be made to work with this "stripped-down Java". What you ask is tantamount to asking Apple to break Java in order to port it.

I am extremely confused that a Java developer would require this explanation.

I'm sorry, Millennium, but before you write things like your last sentence, please read up on Java on Mac OS X.
The Cocoa Java plugin is a new API for using the Java plugin in a Cocoa application. It has never been available before and there are certainly no Panther compatible applications that require it. That's why I included it in my list of new features.
Please read my posting again. I didn't suggest at all that Apple should remove a single feature that's currently available in Panther's Java 1.4.2 from the Java 1.5 implementation in order to make it compatible with Panther.

EDIT: Now that I've read your post again, I think it was a big misunderstanding. Is it possible that you've mistaken the "Cocoa Java plugin public API" for Apple's Java Bridge? And concerning your second argument, which totally confused me at first, maybe you thought I would propose the complete removal of AWT/Swing from Java? Of course that's not what I meant. When I wrote: "If one of these features ... Apple could simply leave it out", I wasn't referring to Swing or AWT or another integral part of Java. I'm sorry if I have been a bit unclear.
( Last edited by Tsilou B.; May 2, 2005 at 06:05 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules