Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac mini(1.42) good choise?

mac mini(1.42) good choise?
maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2005, 05:25 AM

i am planning to buy 20 ACD(cheaper)+mac mini(high end 1.42 80 G).

(1)Due to the video card, what i gona miss for the coming up OS tiger?Any eyecandy can not been performe under ATI 9200?
(2)How is the mini cope with the ACD 20, any sign of lacking VRAM?(e.g expose)
(3)What is the HD speed of mac mini?Do u find that is slow?
(4)Any fan noise issue?
(5)Any heat problem?
(6)Does mac mini support MIDI keyboard for garageband?
(7)When will be the next rev for mac mini, is it good time buying now?
(8)How well does the mini handle the iLife(e.g add effects to pic through iPhoto)?
cheers
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 28, 2005, 05:32 AM

I got a mini, 1.42, airport, bt w/ 1GB of ram earlier in the week and am enjoying it. I haven't run doom on it yet but it's done all right with what I've thrown at it. It's very quiet and been running cool. It's handled PS and iLife '05 all right, even with the nin garageband song loaded. Obviously, the more ram, the better.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 07:00 AM

The 20" display / Mac mini 1.42 comes in at �948 now. Sweet deal! In comparison, an iMac is �899 for the 1.6 G5 with the 17" screen, same size drive and same combo drive. Depends what you want, smaller screen G5 or bigger screen G4.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

csi95
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by maCCer
(1)Due to the video card, what i gona miss for the coming up OS tiger?Any eyecandy can not been performe under ATI 9200?
Yes, some. I believe there are posts on this forum about a few of the things you won't see using Tiger under a mini. In the end, it's just what you say -- eye candy. It doesn't affect productivity, just another doo-dad that eats up clock cycles on your video card. You can live without them.
It's a notebook hard drive, so yes, it will be slower than something you'll see on a desktop. It's not too bad though.
(4)Any fan noise issue?
Nope. It's oddly quiet. If it weren't for the white LED on the front, I wouldn't know it was running.
(5)Any heat problem?
Not for me. It's cold to the touch.
The minis just came out in mid January. I don't think we'll see a new rev of them until late fall at the earliest. Maybe Christmas time.
(8)How well does the mini handle the iLife(e.g add effects to pic through iPhoto)?
cheers
Seems fine to me.

I've only had my Mac mini for about two weeks, and this is my first Mac, so bear that in mind when you read my answers. So far, I like it.

maCCer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2005, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by csi95
Yes, some. I believe there are posts on this forum about a few of the things you won't see using Tiger under a mini. In the end, it's just what you say -- eye candy. It doesn't affect productivity, just another doo-dad that eats up clock cycles on your video card. You can live without them.

It's a notebook hard drive, so yes, it will be slower than something you'll see on a desktop. It's not too bad though.

Nope. It's oddly quiet. If it weren't for the white LED on the front, I wouldn't know it was running.

Not for me. It's cold to the touch.

The minis just came out in mid January. I don't think we'll see a new rev of them until late fall at the earliest. Maybe Christmas time.

Seems fine to me.

I've only had my Mac mini for about two weeks, and this is my first Mac, so bear that in mind when you read my answers. So far, I like it.
thank u all
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 05:56 AM

I installed Tiger last night and it's running fine. Still, no heat or and it's virtually silent and Tiger does make it snappier.

About the only GUI thing missing so far is the ripple in Dashboard but I have my PB for that. You do still get all the flips for it and it runs the RSS Visualizer screensaver (which is so cool) just fine.

maCCer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
I installed Tiger last night and it's running fine. Still, no heat or and it's virtually silent and Tiger does make it snappier.

About the only GUI thing missing so far is the ripple in Dashboard but I have my PB for that. You do still get all the flips for it and it runs the RSS Visualizer screensaver (which is so cool) just fine.
MOG, i love the ripple very much
can not see it

Scarpad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 08:57 AM

I have no problem losing the ripple, it's neat the first few timesbut then becomes annoying waiting for it to finish. Glad you can still flip the widgets thou.
ipod mini

Mac Mini - 1.42Ghz
80GB HD - Airport Extreme
Superdrive - 512mb ram

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2005, 09:01 AM

MOG, i love the ripple very much
When you open Dashboard, shake your monitor with one hand and splash a little water with the other.

Results may vary.

kjbetz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 10:06 PM

I've mentioned this in another post, but are any of you other Mac mini users experience grogginess and the beachball at all? I notice it especially in Sibelius 3, a music notation software. I have 1 GB of memory in it. I'm assuming it's the HD and have ordered an upgrade. Just curious if anybody else has noticed this.

Scarpad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by kjbetz
I've mentioned this in another post, but are any of you other Mac mini users experience grogginess and the beachball at all? I notice it especially in Sibelius 3, a music notation software. I have 1 GB of memory in it. I'm assuming it's the HD and have ordered an upgrade. Just curious if anybody else has noticed this.
I upgraded to Tiger 2 days ago and the Bittorrent Client hung my Mini, it always gave me no probs before. I'll check today for a newer version.
ipod mini

Mac Mini - 1.42Ghz
80GB HD - Airport Extreme
Superdrive - 512mb ram

permionix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 09:45 PM

my setup-running 1.42ghz mini w 1GB memory, sitting underneath a 20" cinema display (bought 52wks b4 $200 price reduction, ARGH!

1)Due to the video card, what i gona miss for the coming up OS tiger?Any eyecandy can not been performe under ATI 9200?
no idea - running 10.3.9

(2)How is the mini cope with the ACD 20, any sign of lacking VRAM?(e.g expose)
no - idea - works OK w the 20" cinema display

it's faster than i can type - current experience is iMac FP 800Mhz & the 12"PB 867Mhz & whatever drives came in those & Mac mini is no slouch by comparison.

My only issue with speed is with Safari - occassionally i get the spinning ball for maybe a couple minutes when trying to close a window, or when editing bookmarks. No idea if this is HD related or just Safari.

(4)Any fan noise issue?
the fan noise under varying conditions is a LOT different than either the imac (constant noticeable hum), or the PB which has two modes - a barely noticeable hum & a Rolls-Royce Fan-Jet engine during engine braking mode).

The mini fan appears to be under control of an analog pot - it will occasionally slowly ramp up through a variety of differnt noise levels for a couple minutes then slowly ramp down. It comes on more often when burning or even reading CD/DVDs. Its loudest noise is maybe twice (x3?) as loud as the iMac normal noise but NOWHERE near as loud as the PB on screech mode.

All my macs run @100% CPU utilization as i fold 24/7 on all three. i'ld say that under these steady state (no optical drive activity) 100%CPU utilization conditions, the imac is 2-3 times louder than the PB, and the PB is 2-3x louder than the mini. The pitch of the fan noise on the mini is in between the iMac (Low) & the PB (higher)

Bottom line -quietest of my four macs (also have PBG3 wallstreet)

(5)Any heat problem?
at 100% CPU usage (from folding) & NO optical drive usage, the top feels cooler than a warm handshake, and the sides feel cool to the touch. Top of the mini is cooler than top of the iMac.

However i have NO idea what the temp of the power supply is (as it's tucked behind the display in a rats nest of cables. Removing the power supply is probably why the mini runs so cool.

(6)Does mac mini support MIDI keyboard for garageband?
no idea

ditto the response from the other poster above - it's so new wouldn't expect anything for a year, but if they sell like hotcakes, they might get a speed bump right before christmas.

The red-eye reduction works OK and does miracles for itty-bitty camera fotos

Forum Links
Forum Rules