Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > benchmark site that would have g4/800 vs new G5s?

benchmark site that would have g4/800 vs new G5s?
Zim
Senior User
May 5, 2005, 09:39 AM

I've got a G4/800 that I keep toying with upgrading.

Just for grins, I hoped to find a benchmark site that would let me pull up stats for any 2 mac for comparison... does such a site exist? Macspeedzone would seem to imply they can do that, but other than emailing the guy, I didn't see a way to do it directly.

Thanks,
Mike

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2005, 11:52 AM

Traditionally, when using older machines as a benchmark baseline, benchmarkers use machines that were the crown of their revision when they were out. Like the Dual 800 or Dual 1GHz. Not only was the 800 not top of the line when it was out, but it is also considered one of the worst of the entire G4 line because it lacked L3 cache. Not exactly benchmark worthy. I'll be surprised if you can find one used in a G4 v G5 roundup.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Zim
I've got a G4/800 that I keep toying with upgrading.

Just for grins, I hoped to find a benchmark site that would let me pull up stats for any 2 mac for comparison... does such a site exist? Macspeedzone would seem to imply they can do that, but other than emailing the guy, I didn't see a way to do it directly.

Thanks,
Mike
I don't know of a specific site that will allow you to do a direct comparison but XLR8yourmac.com has some great info regarding upgrading the CPU. I have a iMac FP 800 which uses the same processor as yours (no L3 cache). Although it hurts me to say this, it is roughly equivalent to the old 533 G4 with L3. Your choice to upgrade it depends on what you have already done and what you use it for. If you have not done much to it, and use it for your work, I would sell and buy new. Otherwise just keep using it. My wife loves our FP iMac she won't let me replace it.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

drive-thru
Senior User
May 6, 2005, 04:33 PM

Just found this...it uses XBench scores, so not really real-world comparison, but maybe it's what you're looking for.

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/

Go there, select your first mac to compare, set it to the baseline, select another mac to compare against - you can compare between any type of mac.

Zim  (op)
Senior User
May 8, 2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by drive-thru
Just found this...it uses XBench scores, so not really real-world comparison, but maybe it's what you're looking for.

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/

Go there, select your first mac to compare, set it to the baseline, select another mac to compare against - you can compare between any type of mac.
Thanks! That's the type of thing I was looking for,

Cheers,
Mike

outsourced
Forum Regular
May 12, 2005, 05:00 PM

Check out barefeats.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules