Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Xcode using multiple windows

Xcode using multiple windows
nickday
May 9, 2005, 06:55 PM

Hi,

I'm running Xcode 2 on Tiger, and every file I open appears in its own window, which makes it difficult when dealing with lots of files at the same time.

I'm sure in 1.5 there was an option which would open all files in the same window, and you could select the file using the drop-down menu at the top? I've checked all my preferences and all seems OK - i've set it to use the 'all-in-one' layout.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Nick

nickday  (op)
May 13, 2005, 03:29 PM

Anybody?

techtrucker
Senior User
May 13, 2005, 05:05 PM

I suspect you're double clicking the files...Hit the Editor button in the toolbar, then single click a file. And if you're like me and don't need the secondary list of files above the Editor resize the Editor all the way up to the toolbar.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

nickday  (op)
May 14, 2005, 06:38 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Where's the Editor button in the toolbar? My window looks like...

The drop down list of open files only ever contains the file open in THAT current window, as each time I go to File>Open, the file opens in a new window, and not as part of the current window. I'm expecting it to open the new file, but leave the current one open too, in the SAME window, and I can select between the file I want to work with using the drop down menu... any ideas?

Nick

Thinine
Mac Elite
May 14, 2005, 07:09 PM

The toolbar of the main Xcode window. There are also preferences for always opening files in the embedded editor.

techtrucker
Senior User
May 14, 2005, 07:22 PM

I don't do java so I'm not sure if the layout of things is different for java apps, but...

In the main XCode window, I hit Editor on the toolbar. Then, on the left side under Groups and Files -> Classes I select any header or implementation file, as in the screenshot below. As I select (via single click) other files under Classes they open automatically in the main XCode Editor window...

Lots of older Macs

nickday  (op)
May 15, 2005, 11:46 AM

OK, I don't have the toolbar because i'm not editing files in a project... i'm merely using Xcode as a basic editor and opening each source file seperately. I know for a fact that in Xcode 1.5 I could open many files and they would all be in the same window.

Nick

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2005, 12:14 PM

If you just want a text editor, there are much better programs than Xcode.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

techtrucker
Senior User
May 15, 2005, 03:19 PM

If I open individual files that are not part of a project I still get the toolbar, so I'm not sure what to say at this point. I agree with Chuck on seeking out other editors, such as BBEdit or it's free cousin TextWrangler. I think there's a few very popular ones that cater to java devs but I haven't paid enough attention to them...
Lots of older Macs

nickday  (op)
May 15, 2005, 05:21 PM

Yeah, i'm thinking i'll just use another text editor, been trying out TextWrangler and it seems pretty decent. Thanks for your help.

Nick

Forum Links
Forum Rules