Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Syncing in Tiger = Trainwreck

Syncing in Tiger = Trainwreck
mattyd
Senior User
May 20, 2005, 05:01 PM

Is anyone else completely puzzled by Apple's approach to synching contacts and calendars in Tiger?

Used to be that iSync handled it all -- .Mac, iPods, phones, Palms.

With the release of 10.4 .Mac syncing was moved to System Preferences, leaving iSync to handle iPod,s phones and Palms.

Now with the release of 10.4.1 and iTunes 4.8, iPod syncing is now handled through iTunes leaving iSync to handle just phones and Palms.

Why is Apple killing/dismantling iSync? Why do I have to use three different apps to make sure everything is up to date?

Add to all that the fact the the Sync menu item performs different functions depending on whether iSync is running or not and the fact that neither iSync nor iTunes will let me sync my calendars (I get an error message that no calendars are available even though I have five sync-able calendars in iCal).

WTF?

Edit: For anyone else who's having issues with iCal calendars not being recognized, here's one person's workaround from the Apple boards... http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/1
( Last edited by mattyd; May 20, 2005 at 05:19 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2005, 06:03 PM

I've had more connection errors and inconsitencies that ever the last week os so, too. I really dislike the fact that syncing has been Balkanized. I also dislke the fact that it's been pretty sketchy overall since the release of 10.4.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules