Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How do you remove an icon from the menu bar?

How do you remove an icon from the menu bar?
karent
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2005, 09:49 AM

Hi, I've got a G4 ibook-14 running 10.3.8. I've got an icon on my menu bar that I can't remove. It's for some kind of network connection I don't have and it's bugging me.

Thanks,

k-

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 23, 2005, 10:15 AM

Well, what does it look like? (And what network connection, so we'd know where you could deactivate it)
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 10:21 AM

Is it one of those little "menu extras" that appears on the right side of the menu bar? You can remove those by command-dragging them out of the menu bar. You can also move them around by command-dragging them around on the bar.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 23, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Luca Rescigno
Is it one of those little "menu extras" that appears on the right side of the menu bar? You can remove those by command-dragging them out of the menu bar. You can also move them around by command-dragging them around on the bar.
Gee, didn't know that before! Nice!
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

karent  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2005, 10:46 AM

It lookes like a little washboard on it's side. It's up next to the wireless and battery symbols.
I think it appeared after a stay at a hotel with free hi-speed. I clicked on the wrong connection in the Internet Connect app and now I can't get to dissappear. I may have tried to command-drag it but if I remember correctly, it just opened the app.

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2005, 05:48 PM

This is not an iBook specific subject, folks. You're talking about the Dock, right? Here's Apple's knowledge base article all about it. Note that removing something from the Dock does not remove the program/widget/etc. from your computer-you'll have to do some work to find the folder and trash it if you need to completely get rid of it.

karent, if you need more help, try the Mac OS forum.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 23, 2005, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
This is not an iBook specific subject, folks. You're talking about the Dock, right? Here's Apple's knowledge base article all about it. Note that removing something from the Dock does not remove the program/widget/etc. from your computer-you'll have to do some work to find the folder and trash it if you need to completely get rid of it.

karent, if you need more help, try the Mac OS forum.
Seems like he is talking about the menu bar on top, but still that is applicable to all macs. The icon you describe sounds like the icon for VPN connections. Open Internet Connect (its in the applications folder) and click on the VPN tab/icon, the bottom option is to "Show VPN status in menu bar" just make sure thats not checked. While you are there you can see if similar options are checked off in the airport or modem tabs.

Hope that helps.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

karent  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 24, 2005, 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone! The command-drag worked. I guess I didn't drag far enough the first time I tried it.

k-

Forum Links
Forum Rules