Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Background Faded

Background Faded
CKr
May 25, 2005, 12:03 AM

I have never paid too close attention to color detail until this weekend when my girlfriend and I took some really nice outside shots. Most of them are of us at the park. I did up a nice wallpaper using a picture of her and found that when it is set as the background the colors are faded compared to the original .jpg file. If you open the .jpg in Photoshop or Preview the image looks fine but if you set it as the background it is faded. I'm a bit disappointed because the image looks beautiful and would love to have the colors look right. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this an ongoing issue with OS X or something introduced in 10.4 or 10.4.1?

For comparison, the original is on the left and that same file set as the background on the right. I used the built in screen capture CMD+Shift+3 to grab the screen for the second image.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 01:12 PM

Preview and Photoshop are probably respecting a color profile stored in the image. Finder might not be doing that and as such doesn't make it look as nice when it makes it the background image. Other than that I have no idea.

BearOso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2005, 01:37 PM

Not sure if this will work, but try saving it as PNG from Photoshop and test that. Tiger has some issues where it is blurring and fading certain jpg files.

CKr  (op)
May 25, 2005, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Graymalkin
Preview and Photoshop are probably respecting a color profile stored in the image. Finder might not be doing that and as such doesn't make it look as nice when it makes it the background image. Other than that I have no idea.
I'm now certain this is the problem. Finder is using my calibrated profile while photoshop is using the embedded sRGB profile. I took a look at the image in iPhoto again and it looked about the same as it did on the desktop. I like the look of the photo in Photoshop better but I guess I can deal with how it has come out.

Originally Posted by BearOso
Not sure if this will work, but try saving it as PNG from Photoshop and test that. Tiger has some issues where it is blurring and fading certain jpg files.
I did try this and the background looked the same. Thanks for your input though.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 02:37 PM

I had an issue the other day where 10.4 "lost" all my monitor profiles, and reverted both displays back to Generic RGB. I had to restart to get them back. Take a look at the "color" tab in the displays prefs and make sure you've got good profiles selected. If you've never set up a custom profile for your display, I suggest you hit the "calibrate..." button, turn on "advanced" mode, and go through the assistant.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

d.fine
Mac Elite
May 25, 2005, 05:45 PM

Hey, my profiles are gone!? And when I press 'cailbrate' I get a message :

'Can not calibrate the display. The factory profile for the display could not be found.'

What now? The profiles where there, including the calibrated one, untill yesterday...

EDIT : nevermind, a log out/log in fixed the problem. The profile was back, and I could calibrate again. Odd tough that it would just dissapear like that...
( Last edited by d.fine; May 25, 2005 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Problem fixed)

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by d.fine
Hey, my profiles are gone!? And when I press 'cailbrate' I get a message :

'Can not calibrate the display. The factory profile for the display could not be found.'

What now? The profiles where there, including the calibrated one, untill yesterday...

EDIT : nevermind, a log out/log in fixed the problem. The profile was back, and I could calibrate again. Odd tough that it would just dissapear like that...
That's exactly what happened to me. The last prior reboot had been the 10.4.1 updater. When in doubt, re-start.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2005, 11:30 PM

I have the same "no profile/can't calibrate" problem, and Ive reboot many times, with no effect. When I click on any of the other profiles in the list, i just get a system beep. Nothing changes. And trying to calibrate the profiles gives me that same message you guys got. What the hell is going on, Tiger's got some issues.

alex627
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by l008com
I have the same "no profile/can't calibrate" problem, and Ive reboot many times, with no effect. When I click on any of the other profiles in the list, i just get a system beep. Nothing changes. And trying to calibrate the profiles gives me that same message you guys got. What the hell is going on, Tiger's got some issues.
I have the same problem. Reboot solves the problem temporarily. Logging in as a different user and then switching back to the original user "loses" most of the profiles. I see my calibrated profile which does not work and the generic RGB profile. This is extremely irritating having 2 people use the same computer. I have to reboot to change color profiles.

Anybody got a fix?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2005, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Graymalkin
Finder might not be doing that and as such doesn't make it look as nice when it makes it the background image.
It think the SystemUIServer draws the desktop background. It's certainly not the Finder.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 03:55 AM

After that one incident almost a month ago, it hasn't happened since to me. I didn't do anything special that I know of.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Forum Links
Forum Rules