Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Using RAM in Mini from older Windows PC

Using RAM in Mini from older Windows PC
Silly Burrito
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 12:52 AM

I recently had a motherboard go out on me and the RAM may have been at fault, so I sent back my sticks of RAM (512 and 256 MB) back to Crucial for replacements. I just received the replacements, and now I'm thinking that I can use the 512 stick in the Mini and add the 256 stick from the mini to my Windows PC.

My question is, the RAM from the Windows machine is part CT6464Z335 (specs here) and their part for the Mini is CT431638 (specs here).

To me, the specs look the same...anyone ever use this RAM or suspect that it wouldn't work? I wonder if the Apple RAM would work in the Windows machine, but I'm more interested right now in upgrading the mini with the new RAM.

Thanks!
I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, don't even act like I didn't buy a doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 22, 2005, 03:39 PM

It looks like it should work. Try it and see what happens -- you can't hurt anything by trying.

tooki

Silly Burrito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2005, 07:14 PM

Did it, and it appears to work! I'm waiting to see if there are any glitches, but so far, it reports 512MB.

Funny thing though, this was the first time I've opened my Mini. I was waiting to hear these loud pops as everyone always says...I inserted the putty knife and pulled, and it just popped on up. I tried the left side (which was much harder to fit the putty knife into; I ripped a bit of the white off) and it popped up without much fuss as well. In fact, the hardest thing was putting it back on. I had to do that twice as I messed it up the first time. When I reopened it..no loud clicking. Maybe they've redesigned the machine latches, who knows?
I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, don't even act like I didn't buy a doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".

westrock
May 27, 2005, 02:55 AM

The hardest part for me was getting the back panel to line up right. I used regular 'ol Kingston pc2700 1gb from my old PC...worked fine so far

Silly Burrito  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 01:57 PM

You're exactly right. That was my hardest part as well.

So far 512 seems to fit the bill. I haven't really taxed it, but I see a LOT less of that little beach ball.

James41
May 27, 2005, 04:23 PM

You will find that 512 on the Mini will work very well, it's kind of a sweet spot for the mini. Next step up would be a 1 gig chip. Unless you get into some heavy graphics or video editing you probably won't need it though. If you do, check out newegg.com they have some great buys on 1 gig Corsair or 1 gig Rosewell chips.
PowerMac G5 - 2.0 4 1/2 Gig Ram - Tiger 10.4.2
30" Apple Monitor - LaCie d2 Tripple 320 Gig
iMac G5 1.8 1 1/2 Gig Ram 20" - Tiger 10.4.2
Amd64 - Gamer - Water cooled

Forum Links
Forum Rules