Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Looking at getting a DP 2.0 G5

Looking at getting a DP 2.0 G5
notalent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2005, 02:13 AM

Well, I purchased a Dell 20" widescreen monitor. Now I am looking at using it for a Power Mac G5. I have been looking forward to getting a Mac for a long time. After seeing all the updates to OS X and the new G5s I feel I am ready to take the plunge.

I have found a deal on a dp 2.0ghz power mac g5. It is priced at 1699$. I was comparing it to the education price at apples online store. It's the newest revision. Is this a pretty good deal on a PM G5? or should i wait because I am not sure if there is gonna be anything announced at the WWDC that would affect my decision.

Hanul
Forum Regular
May 30, 2005, 05:04 AM

I got my PowerMac (Dual 2GHz, 1GB RAM) last week and it is a fine machine. I don't think there will be anything related to PowerMacs at WWDC considering that the last update was only a month ago.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2005, 09:00 AM

That's a damn good deal, considering the machine retailed for 2500 when it was top of the line. I wouldn't hold your breath for new hardware. The next revision will probably be big, but it's probably also 4-6 months from shipping, even if they "announce" it at WWDC, which I doubt will happen.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Al G
Forum Regular
May 30, 2005, 01:32 PM

Notalent said this is the newest version, so it normally retails for $1999. $1699 is still a good deal although both of the previous versions can be found for similar prices (refurb, demo). If you have an Apple Store nearby you may want to call to see if they have any of the previous version--if so you may get an even better price.

The newest version comes with a Radeon 9600 128MB video card, a better card than the previous version's GeForce FX5200 Ultra or the first version's 9600 64MB, but it only has four DIMM slots vs. eight in the previous two models. The better video card is only important for games or 3D, otherwise even the GeForce 5200 will handle a 23" LCD just fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules