Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Don't break your latch - it costs $985

Don't break your latch - it costs $985
bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2005, 12:22 PM

So this past May 7 was my 20th birthday, and the parents/grandparents decided to get me a new computer. With my influence the 12" iBook was bumped to a 12" PBG4. Wonderful. The only problem is my birthday falls right before finals week...and rather than open up my new toy and spoil my studying, I decided to hold off until my finals were done on the 11th.

May 11, I open up the box, and look at the gorgeous Al-ness. I push the button to un-catch the latch, and notice a small pop-like sound, and the latch button going in, but not working until it is almost flush with the indented metal surface around it. The following morning (it was 9pm here) I call Apple, get a dispatch setup, and a box on its way. Fantastic.

The only problem is that I move in 2 weeks...and have been so busy and so actively using my computer/not having time to wipe the HD to send it in and restore an install when I get it back, that sending it off was delayed until this past thursday.

Friday it arrived to Apple, and when I checked the status that morning it said "In Repair". good deal...maybe they'll get it done and sent back out so I can pick it up at DHL on saturday. A few hours later, I check again: "Hold - Admn. Requote"

Come again?

I called Apple, and the representative I spoke with at the depot said that the tech had marked the computer down for a Level 3 repair...not covered under warranty...at a cost of $985. When I asked what the tech had noted as reason for the repair (as I said, the computer was brand new, and had rarely left its spot on the desk (twice I think) prior to being sent in to apple - read: NO DAMAGE) he said that there were no notes anywhere as to why this uncovered level 3 repair was recommended. The only course of action I could take that wouldn't cost me (yes, for return shipping they would charge me) was to call customer relations.

The woman at CR was very nice, and approved the requote as a one-time-only thing. When I asked about the one-time-only part, she said that there must be some case damage, as if they were doing me a favor. Apparently nobody believed the computer shipped like that. At any rate, I know the condition of the PB prior to sending it off, and if it is returned with so much as a scratch......

It's funny....I've never had this much trouble with a repair before.
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 4, 2005, 04:29 PM

happy birthday.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2005, 05:45 PM

You're not paying, and you can't blame apple for wanting make sure it wasn't accidental damage. It took 20 minutes on the phone, (I've jumped through the same hoops), and now you're going to get your computer back as good as new.

What more could you want?

ImpulseResponse

zed57
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2005, 08:20 PM

I'd be pissed. Getting a brand new machine that is defective is pain enough. To have to jump through hoops to prove it's not your fault is salt on the wound!

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2005, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
You're not paying, and you can't blame apple for wanting make sure it wasn't accidental damage. It took 20 minutes on the phone, (I've jumped through the same hoops), and now you're going to get your computer back as good as new.

What more could you want?
An apology for being accused of breaking a new computer would be nice
Aloha

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2005, 06:47 AM

Any company would do that. Helps prevent fraud. It's not like you're being charged extra. Better than actually having problems and having to go through the repair hassle.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

yudman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2005, 08:32 AM

Stupid latch. It should be a velcro world only.
Powerbook G4 17" 1.5 Ghz, 1GB RAM; Will never go back to PC notebooks!!!

milhouse
Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 08:43 AM

I have only had occaison to use Apple repair twice in over 10- years. I took mucho photos prior to sending the unit in for repair.

They chipped the latch area on my Ti and replaced the entire top case as a result (had photos to document condition prior to shipping out).

I ALWAYS take picts of any item before it ships to a repair center (many of these are outsourced to the lowest bidder. ).

Glad it worked out.
"-Dodge This"

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Any company would do that. Helps prevent fraud. It's not like you're being charged extra. Better than actually having problems and having to go through the repair hassle.
It used to be that companies wanted to please customers, and build good relationships with them. Now, it seems that we should consider ourselves lucky to be put through unnecessary hassles, just to get a company to honor their commitments. (although an extra half hour on the phone is a mild hassle)...

A powerbook that is less than a month old (and Apple knows the approximate purchase date, based on when the computer left to go to a reseller) is not very likely to have a latch go "poof" due to normal customer wear. Even if there was reason to suspect fraud, you would think Apple would want to eat the repair cost in the hopes that they keep you as a customer in the future (and convince you to buy a Pentuim M PB to replace your antiquated PPC laptop next year. )

All that said, definitely take pictures of your case whenever you send any laptop out for repair, to apple or anyone else. It is a simple step that can save you headaches later.
( Last edited by dreilly1; Jun 6, 2005 at 09:22 AM. )

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

chenyichung
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 10:11 AM

if it was within 14 days of the purchase date, you could've just taken it back to the apple store and asked for a new one.

-Yi Chen

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 04:02 PM

Slightly off topic, but I'm curious about the latches on the AL. I have a friend who has an early addition AL PB and the latch basically does not stay closed. Is this a) a known issue and b) has it been resolved on more recent releases of the PB?

bimmerphile  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2005, 08:57 AM

So I got the PB back - Looking good as new, and wrapped in plastic.

The service order said they replaced the bottom case, top case, screen, and keyboard.

So I have to wonder...where along the line did someone trip with my laptop and then make it try to seem like the customer's fault?

All is well now. They did fix the latch after all. Now dare I call them back about the wobbliness of my USB/Firewire/AC Power ports, or the gap between the once-flush battery and the rest of the case? Naaah. Lesson learned. You win this round Apple. Touché.
( Last edited by bimmerphile; Jun 14, 2005 at 09:07 AM. )
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

Forum Links
Forum Rules