Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What the heck are they going to sell for the next year?

What the heck are they going to sell for the next year?
TampaDeveloper
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 04:53 PM

Ok. Setting aside any questions we have about the advantages of Intel processors over PowerPC processors, what the heck is Apple going to sell for the next YEAR while waiting???!?!?!!?!

I was going to buy a 15 inch powerbook. But I'll wait, now, thank you very much. And I'm willing to bet at least 50% of their customers are going to say the same thing. Stupid. And if its just a simple recompile of most software applications, they should have made the announcement simultaneously with the introduction of the low end hardware. That would have made more sense to me.

Really. What are they going to sell while the world waits for Macs with Intel processors?

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 04:57 PM

I would be in that 50%. I am also wanting to get a Powerbook, but now I don't know when. I was originally holding onto hope that they would announce a G5 powerbook, but I guess that can't happen now? Steve has really confused me.
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:00 PM

I think steve mentioned today that they still have big plans for PPC and great upcoming stuff. i wouldn't bet on a G5 laptop though as that is a lot of work for something that will be canned shortly after.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 05:02 PM

Ohh, I hate to say "me too", but my 800 MHz TiPB is getting long in the tooth (and at the end of its AppleCare period) and I was looking around to get something new. The 1.5 GHz looked good, and a good deal cheaper than the 1.67, but now I'm not sure. Can I get this box to limp along for two more years? Yesterday I would have thought not, but now I'm thinking I might just be game to give it a try.

I, too, am surprized that the Steve didn't first roll out the hardware (perhaps the extreme low end) and simultaneously tell developers. Unless he thought he couldn't keep the secret that long. Pity, that.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Since EBCDIC
Ohh, I hate to say "me too", but my 800 MHz TiPB is getting long in the tooth (and at the end of its AppleCare period) and I was looking around to get something new. The 1.5 GHz looked good, and a good deal cheaper than the 1.67, but now I'm not sure. Can I get this box to limp along for two more years? Yesterday I would have thought not, but now I'm thinking I might just be game to give it a try.
Get in iBook in the mean time.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 05:07 PM

Or a mini.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Sosa
Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 05:08 PM

He would also have been accused of hiding critical facts and deceiving customers who purchased macs months before that low end Intel mac is sold. Its a no win situation. I wonder what sort of discussion occurred behind the scenes between Apple - IBM - Motorola that finally caused Apple to abandon the PPC - x86 fight just when things appeared to get better.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 05:08 PM

People. What was Steve's message to the developers? Get your apps ready to run on both Intel and PPC chips. Your machines will still be supported and will work fine. Rosetta will be amazing and you won't even realize that you are using a Mac with an Intel chip inside.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Or a mini.
Not much of a portable replacement though is it. Plus if you add a keyboard, mouse and LCD screen you could pretty much have yourself an iMac.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 05:17 PM

Well, a min is basically a monitorless iBook. And the low cost makes it less of an investment if one decides to upgrade to an InteliMac in two years or so.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 05:17 PM

Ack. DP. Stupid site is slow.

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Well, a min is basically a monitorless iBook. And the low cost makes it less of an investment if one decides to upgrade to an InteliMac in two years or so.
yes but it is not a portable.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TampaDeveloper  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sosa
He would also have been accused of hiding critical facts and deceiving customers who purchased macs months before that low end Intel mac is sold. Its a no win situation. I wonder what sort of discussion occurred behind the scenes between Apple - IBM - Motorola that finally caused Apple to abandon the PPC - x86 fight just when things appeared to get better.

I feel a little better after reviewing some of the details... and it looks easy enough to dual compile... BUT, who is psychologically prepared to spend $2000 on a machine with a dead archietecture?

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Since EBCDIC
Ohh, I hate to say "me too", but my 800 MHz TiPB is getting long in the tooth (and at the end of its AppleCare period) and I was looking around to get something new.
Same here. I was thinking about a 12" iBook to tide me over...

Voch

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 05:59 PM

iPods.

Seriously.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2005, 06:04 PM

I may start trolling eBay* to see what I can get a reasonable PB for these days and weeks, and if so I'll get something to hold me over for 2 years, which is my usual window anyway. I may hold off a month or two longer than I would have otherwise, but BFD. It's not like I don't plan on computing until the Mactel boxes are here, nor was I planning on holding a machine more than 3 years anyway.

* Reminder: only morons don't use ESCROW when buying expensive toys!

The folks who are buying a new machine annually must have more money than I.
( Last edited by Since EBCDIC; Jun 6, 2005 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Reminder to ALWAYS USE ESCROW)
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
iPods.
Seriously.
Beat me to that. They are already making more money of iPods than anything else...

-t

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 06:06 PM

I'm going to hold off from buying a new system as well.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 06:08 PM

what does this mean for us that just bought new computers? my new dual g5 2ghz will be great for this next year... and for another year after...

but then i suppose i would get a new comp in 3 years when all the dust has settled.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Beat me to that. They are already making more money of iPods than anything else...
Yeah, I have no doubt that present iPod sales, coupled with booming forecasts, were a huge, comforting factor in making this move to x86.

Apple knows that PPC-based system sales will surely drop significantly due to this announcement, and iPod sales are what's going to keep the revenue stream flowing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 06:11 PM

It's still quite a bet Apple is taking...

-t

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 06:12 PM

Are we like most mac users, though? Does the average Mac buyer have any idea that they're buying into a "Dead Architechture" or care? I'm not sure they do. I know what it means, and I'm not sure I even care. I'd buy a G5 Powerbook right now if they had one (assuming it ran cool enough).

Are people going to stop buying the mac mini or the imac because of this? I'd be willing to buy an iMac anytime up until the new ones are released.

Existing Apps are still going to Altivec optimized. Photoshop is still going to run great on PPC for a long time into the future. I think this is all very premature.

What I am looking forward to is the possibility that a WINE port could eventually be a reality, and we'll be able to play PC games (at pc prices) on a mac, as well as get video cards for normal sane prices.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 06:14 PM

^^

agreed...ipod is apple's way out of the ppc. without ipod, apple may not be in a great shape with this transition

Forum Links
Forum Rules