Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > HUGE PROBLEM - Safari 2.0 overheating!

HUGE PROBLEM - Safari 2.0 overheating!
Jerk_circus
Jun 7, 2005, 08:30 PM

Hey everyone,

I upgraded to Tiger the first day it came out, and ever since I've noticed my computer running much hotter. In Panther I never had a problem with heat, but in tiger, I could fry an egg on my 15" PB G4. I did a little checking in activity monitor and found that the reason my PB is so hot is because of safari. Here's the problem:

Whenever I scroll up and down, the "% User CPU" jumps up to nearly 50%, which leaves only about 10% of my CPU idle. as I'm writing this, my "%CPU" for Safari is about 25%, when I have safari open, but not using it, its anywhere from 10-20%. As you can all imagine, I scroll up and down webpages a lot, and it is robbing my computer of available CPU to process other things. As a result, I think my computer is actually running slower under Tiger. (In theory it should be)

Is this a problem that only I'm having? I did a clean install when I first bough Tiger, and I just formatted my computer again, hoping things would be better the second time around with a clean install, but I have the exact same problem. If its not too much to ask, if you guys and girls could open up activity monitor, and just scroll up and down in a safari page and take note of your CPU usage for safari, I'd really appreciate it. I cant image the problem being linked to hardware, since it didnt happen with Panther. Did I get a bad copy of Tiger?

What really sucks is I see people writing about how snappy Tiger is, and how much cooler their systems are running now. I have had the exact opposite. Sort of makes me regret upgrading to tiger since I dont even really use spotlight, or the widgets that much. I'd rather have a cool running computer. Thanks a lot everyone

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jun 7, 2005, 08:57 PM

You're welcome.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2005, 09:17 PM

Safari uses less CPU time in Tiger, for me at least, UNLESS Quartz 2D Extreme has been activated (via the Quartz Debug hack). Then it actually uses more than it did in 10.4. Any chance you've done this??
But do note that Safari, even in version 2, is notorious for being inefficient at rendering multiple animated GIFs.

If Safari is using 20% of your CPU when its just sitting idle on a blank page or with no windows open, then something else is (very) wrong.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 01:19 AM

I've found that individual apps (like Safari) are faster, but the system is slightly slower.

I also have major gripes with Spotlight being the most ass-tastic search software in the world, and all the new bugs Apple added.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 03:18 AM

Did you let Tiger complete the "checking your installation disk" process? If so, you don't have a bad copy.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 05:39 AM

Safari did this to me as well, with CPU usage creeping up over 65%. It got hot, let me assure you.

This had to do with Flash/Java or some other embedded stuff. 10.4.1 seems to have fixed it for me.

J

hyperizer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2005, 10:47 AM

Have you tried switching to Firefox? I've always had performance problems and weird crashes with Safari.

Jerk_circus  (op)
Jun 8, 2005, 08:06 PM

Hmmm. Well I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone with this. I have 10.4.1, and it hasnt solved the problem. I'll try to thow up a screen shot to show everyone.

Yes, I did let its verify the disk. What might be causing this problem? I have no additional software installed which might be causing problems. Just OS 10.4.1
( Last edited by Jerk_circus; Jun 8, 2005 at 08:12 PM. )

Jerk_circus  (op)
Jun 8, 2005, 08:07 PM

Screen shot.

As you can see, the bars are all the way to the top (when I was scrolling up and down) When it's idle, its around 10-20% (in the pic its at 15%)

Forum Links
Forum Rules