Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > unknown user found on my Mac, what does this mean?

unknown user found on my Mac, what does this mean?
paingold
Jun 4, 2005, 06:34 PM

I run Panther 10.3.9. Today I noticed there is a user folder (under "Users") on my G4 Sawtooth. The folder has a specific name that is not myself nor my wife. I have a wireless connection to network between my Sawtooth and my iBook. I have wep 128 on my netgear router.
Can someone point me in the right direction to check which settings to keep people off my machine? How can I keep my network so that only my two computers have access to my network? Do I have to keep file sharing on in order for my two computers to network?
Thanks in advance.

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2005, 04:49 PM

Is this user folder called "Shared"?
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

paingold  (op)
Jun 8, 2005, 11:03 PM

nope. It was some dude's name that had no buisness on my machine.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2005, 01:32 AM

You need to leave file sharing on if you want to be able to share files or browse each other's computers through AppleTalk. Turn off any other services in the Sharing prefpane unless you're sure you need them, and it would probably be good to make sure the firewall is all on in the Sharing pane too.

But make sure that both of your computers as well as the router have good, strong passwords (use letters, numbers and preferably other symbols too, and don't use a dictionary word), and then people won't be able to break in without a lot of work.

If your computers have static IP addresses, you could also configure the firewall to allow only those IPs in with Brickhouse.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

John Strung
Senior User
Jun 9, 2005, 09:15 AM

On the Netgear router, change the SSID and then turn off SSID broadcast.

Also turn on MAC address filtering and set it to allow access only to the MAC addresses of your own computers.

If you Macs and the Netgear support WPA encryption, change to it from WEP as it is more secure.

Also check the Netgear router logs to see if anyone has broken into your system.

Forum Links
Forum Rules