Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How do I automatically reconnect from sleep...

How do I automatically reconnect from sleep...
shreddog
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2005, 08:53 AM

on a 12" PB 1.33? It used to work fine, but ever since I upgraded to Tiger, I need to reconnect everytime the laptop awakes from sleep. I did an "upgrade" install instead of a full install. Will that make a difference?

It's getting a little annoying to have to reconnect everytime.

Thanks!

iMac 17 800
12" Powerbook Rev. C
20GB 3rd Gen iPod

sknapp351
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2005, 12:03 PM

I am assuming you are speaking of airport. I am having the same iss with both a G5 and 17" Powerbook. I have airport extreme cards in both, and am using a linksys wrt54g router. I had the security set up as wpa shared key, and this worked fine in Panther. Now as with you in Tiger I have to reconnect every time the computer wakes. Even more when the computer tries to reconnect it asks me for the password, but only gives the option of wep or leap (?). Only after entering my password and having it error then trying again does it give me the option of wpa, then it works fine. I have told it to keep the password in keychain manager, but that doesn't do anything. I have finally disabled my security, and now no problems......excepth the possiblilty of my neighbor mooching my signal.
Sam

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 11, 2005, 12:35 PM

This is a problem that's been around in one form or another for quite a while. Basically the AirPort card doesn't correctly detect its own power state after the machine wakes up. As sknapp351 noted, it doesn't correctly try to reconnect under Tiger either. Disabling your security is a VERY BAD IDEA. It's not that difficult to get the card to do the right thing-though it would be nice if Apple fixed the firmware so it did so by iteself.

Instead of telling the card to reconnect, just tell it to disconnect. When it does so, it will detect your wireless network normally and probably connect by itself. No entries to be made, no fuss.

The real issue here is how the card keeps track of what's going on when it goes to sleep with the computer, and how it attempts to recover its security state. Since WPA-Personal uses Temporal keys, they expire rather quickly, a good thing for security, but when the computer's been asleep for a while, the card no longer has a valid key. Since it doesn't remember going to sleep (a major blunder on the part of Apple), it thinks the normal network is gone and it tries to connect via WEP. By telling it not to, you put the card back into a "search for network" mode, wherein it will detect the existing network-correctly this time, having dumped its old keys-and usually it will automatically connect.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules