Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac-mini configuration suggestion

mac-mini configuration suggestion
milf
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2005, 02:40 PM

I'm looking for suggestions on which mac-mini configuration to purchase. I have a 1Ghz PB that will still be my primary. The mini will serve primarily to hold and play music. I'll have it connected to my stereo system and my Pio plasma. I'm also looking at the wireless keyboard and mouse. I don't think anything too strenuous will be required of this little system.

So my question is, should I still jump for the faster processor and/or extra ram? Will I notice that much more snappiness in OS X, or are these additions primarily for heavy users and graphics folks? Should I at least get the 512 and then upgarde to 1GB if I deem necessary down the road? That's a bit easier to do than the processor. Also, what should I consider for resale value down the road.

Suggestions?
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 05:59 PM

i'm in the same situation as yourself. i have the same pb and want a mini to serve as some sort of media center. i'd say go with the higher clock speed because for an extra hundred bux you not only do you get a faster machine, but you get the hard drive upgrade which is a $50 extra for the smaller version (and seriously...40gb isn't enough in this day n age). superdrive is up to you, and you have to get that sucker up to 1gb of RAM if you wanna use it as anything else other than a server, but if you're only gonna use it as server/web/email machine...then 512mb should be plenty. if it were me, i'd go with the 1.25 model, up the ram to 1GB and toss in a 100gb 7200RPM hard drive in it and get an external superdrive or internal depending on how frugal i wanna be, luckily i have a filthy rich cousin who's gonna sell me his dual 1ghz for 800 bux, or else i'd be in the same boat as you are right now. post back and tell use what you ended up doin...i'm very curious in this.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

milf  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2005, 10:43 PM

I'm not so much worried about HD space, as I have a 120GB external firewire drive that I plan to leave connected to the mini. I went to the Apple store set on walking out with a mini, but their configuration options are so limited, that I have to order from the online store.

The Apple store guy did bring up a good point. I do intend on using this as a means for recording digital HD cable down the road. I'm sure the 1GB of ram would serve nicely for that. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Originally Posted by iREZ
i'm in the same situation as yourself. i have the same pb and want a mini to serve as some sort of media center. i'd say go with the higher clock speed because for an extra hundred bux you not only do you get a faster machine, but you get the hard drive upgrade which is a $50 extra for the smaller version (and seriously...40gb isn't enough in this day n age). superdrive is up to you, and you have to get that sucker up to 1gb of RAM if you wanna use it as anything else other than a server, but if you're only gonna use it as server/web/email machine...then 512mb should be plenty. if it were me, i'd go with the 1.25 model, up the ram to 1GB and toss in a 100gb 7200RPM hard drive in it and get an external superdrive or internal depending on how frugal i wanna be, luckily i have a filthy rich cousin who's gonna sell me his dual 1ghz for 800 bux, or else i'd be in the same boat as you are right now. post back and tell use what you ended up doin...i'm very curious in this.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2005, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by milf
I'm looking for suggestions on which mac-mini configuration to purchase. I have a 1Ghz PB that will still be my primary. The mini will serve primarily to hold and play music. I'll have it connected to my stereo system and my Pio plasma. I'm also looking at the wireless keyboard and mouse. I don't think anything too strenuous will be required of this little system.

So my question is, should I still jump for the faster processor and/or extra ram? Will I notice that much more snappiness in OS X, or are these additions primarily for heavy users and graphics folks? Should I at least get the 512 and then upgarde to 1GB if I deem necessary down the road? That's a bit easier to do than the processor. Also, what should I consider for resale value down the road.

Suggestions?

The difference between the 2 processors (IMHO) is minimal and you'll never ssee it unless you run a benchmark test so I say go with the 1.25 and at least 512 RAM. That's the mini I bought and received last week and it rocks.

You'll love it.

Tom

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 07:21 AM

1.25 GHz with 512 MB RAM will suite you just fine. However, RAM is so cheao nowadays, I'd get the 1 GB stick.

milf  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2005, 10:38 AM

I went ahead and bought the 1.42 w/ 512MB, airport, superdrive, and bluetooth.

While the 1.25 probably would have been just fine, the Apple store doesn't carry a wide variety of options containing the wireless and bluetooth options. The only choice I had was to pick up the 1.42. Either that or wait a week or so and order from the online store.

So I set everything up last night. It's a fun new toy. I'm working on setting the resolution and font size to something reasonable. I have it connected to my 43" plasma. At the top resolution, I have plenty of space to work with, which I prefer, but I can hardly see the letters from 6ft away. I'd have to jump it up to 1024x768 at least to see without straining. Is there a way to globally increase the font size throughout os x, so that I can keep the high resolution, just have super large font?

milf  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by TomR
The difference between the 2 processors (IMHO) is minimal and you'll never ssee it unless you run a benchmark test so I say go with the 1.25 and at least 512 RAM. That's the mini I bought and received last week and it rocks.

You'll love it.

Tom
Damn it. I knew as soon as I bought it something else would come up. Found a local seller willing to give the exact same machine for $700. Of course it's a few months old, but regardless. I'd save $100 bucks buying his.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2005, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by milf
Damn it. I knew as soon as I bought it something else would come up. Found a local seller willing to give the exact same machine for $700. Of course it's a few months old, but regardless. I'd save $100 bucks buying his.

"MILF"! I love it!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 10, 2005, 01:09 PM

I agree that the CPU difference will be minimal.

I say go for 1GB of RAM -- but not from Apple. It's silly to buy 512MB now, and then have to remove it and replace it with the gigabyte later on. Especially since, IIRC, RAM prices are expected to rise.

tooki

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2005, 01:57 PM

If you are just going to use the mini as an app server type of thing, the 1.25 will be fine.

Def get 1GB ram.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

Forum Links
Forum Rules