Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Birds: Part II

The Birds: Part II
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 09:57 AM

Crows attacking joggers leaving them bloody.

Joggers are today being warned about violent crows in London parks after an attack left a man bloodied and needing hospital treatment.
Ever been attacked by a wild bird? Anyone? Once I was attacked by a blue jay because her baby was on the ground (which I didn't see) and she wanted to kill me.

It doesn't seem like it would be that threatening, but as anyone who has ever been attacked by a bird will tell you, it really is.

deomacius
Senior User
Jun 10, 2005, 10:26 AM

Scarred for Life?

You reap what you sow.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2005, 10:32 AM

I nabbed a mockingbird chick once that was on the ground, it was too young to fly and mama bird swooped me repeatedly.

The chick had no chance, even with mama looking out for it on the ground so I fed it up for the next week and released it.

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2005, 10:47 AM

A duck tried to bill me to death.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 11:59 AM

I hear geese are pretty nasty.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 12:02 PM

A friend of mine has a parrot ranch, a huge aviary, and patrolling his property are two flocks of geese. These things are MEAN. When you drive up the driveway they repeatedly peck at your window and spread their wings at you. He has to call them off to let you get out of your car once you arrive at the house. He also has two rottweilers, but even he admits that the geese are meaner than the dogs - and more people are afraid of them.

Geese and swans are very mean.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2005, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
I hear geese are pretty nasty.
Tell me about it. I got attacked by one on my way to graduation. To be fair, I probably was walking too close to its young (about 15 feet or so), but I'm just passing by, minding my own business, and suddenly this huge goose comes running right at me, flapping its wings and hissing what must have been some kind of goose obscenities or something.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 12:11 PM

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jun 10, 2005, 12:14 PM

I made the mistake of looking in on my screech owls.
Ok I've made this mistake twice now.

They will repeatedly swoop and hit you with their owl bodies.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 10, 2005, 12:14 PM

I was up at Lake Lanier in Atlanta years ago, I was feeding the ducks and geese from my boat and got the idea to nab me a goose biddy to raise up as a pet.

I netted one of the feeding frenzied goose biddys and hammered the boat, the mama goose kept up easily over 50kts and landed in the boat and proceeded to rip me a new one.
Needless to say I dumped the biddy overboard so she would stop biting me.

I'll never do that again.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 12:19 PM

The only bird that ever attacked me had good reason... it wasn't so much attacking as it was defending. I was doing an after-school activity involving bird banding, and we went out into the forest to check the nets. I was trying to extract a chickadee from the netting and boy was he pissed. He was struggling the whole time which of course just made him get caught up worse. And yes, he was biting at my fingers the entire time too.

I've had geese hiss at me a few times but they've never attacked. And I've had my cockatiels attack me a few times but they're pets so it doesn't really count.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 12:21 PM

I remember as a youngster visiting my grandparents farm. While in the barnyard on say a white rooster attacked me. It seem that the white roosters were worse than the red ones. It kept flapping its wings trying to get up to my head. After screaming my grandmother came to my rescue. It was scary.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 12:28 PM

That IS scary WDLove.

On our farm we had mean turkeys AND roosters. They would come and peck at your legs - especially the roosters and the roosters have spurs on the backs of their legs and they can and will cut your legs wide open.

I netted one of the feeding frenzied goose biddys and hammered the boat, the mama goose kept up easily over 50kts and landed in the boat and proceeded to rip me a new one.
Needless to say I dumped the biddy overboard so she would stop biting me.

I'll never do that again.
That was hilarious!

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 12:29 PM

I've never been attacked by a goose, but I did attack a goose a few times. Track practice after school, we would run out into the edge of the woods and hide. Then we would run out into the field and tackle the geese trying to fly away. It was fun.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2005, 12:32 PM

When I was around 8 or so, my family and I went to the zoo. I was pretty close to the fence looking at the ostriches. I don't know if it thought I was a threat or it was establishing its territory but it rushed the fence. Nothing like a 6-foot freakin insane ostrich to scare the hell out of a kid.
Naturally I fell on the ground but that stupid bird was kicking the fence and turning around and making a run at the fence and squawking and everything. Pretty scary but then I realized that the bird couldn't get to me so I picked up some dirt and threw it at the ostrich.
That enraged it even more and it started the attack on the fence again and made such a racket that the zoo folks came to see what was going on.

I've never liked the damn birds ever since. And there's been a couple of times, I've gone out of my way at a restaurant just to order one.

Revenge is best served on a warmed plate with some garlic mashed potatoes.

Here's a photo of one I took at a farm near Perth last year. Doesn't it look evil?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 12:33 PM

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
That IS scary WDLove.!
My grandmother would say that a turkey could even be worse. She didn't have any at the time. According to her they would take a bit of your skin and twist.

Showing how mean that rooster was, the barnyard was separate from the area that the chickens were kept. So that rooster actually flew over the fence to reach me for the attack. Then my grandfather started clipping the roosters flying feathers.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 10, 2005, 12:42 PM

I remember being chased by a goose as a young child. My parents found it much more amusing than I did.

So whats up with the increased bird attacks across the world. I've heard about a few over the last few weeks.

Some of the incidents are, admittedly, a bit scary. One Houston lawyer this spring found himself getting pecked in the face. Even worse, police had to close down an entire downtown Houston street in late May after gang of grackles attacked pedestrians, knocking some of them down.

"Birds, they're on the sidewalk, but they're usually not attacking people," says Bea McCann of the Houston Police Department. She notes that the recent attacks were the first she's ever heard of in the city.

In Washington, bloggers last week were busy cataloguing the adventures of an aggressive hawk that was buzzing cars.

In upstate New York, a high-strung woodpecker has destroyed dozens of car mirrors - angered, apparently, by his own image and racking up insurance premiums.

"There's been an increase in the number of times that people report incidents like, 'I had this weird thing happen where a bird attacked me,' " says Alicia Craig, director of the Bird Conservation Alliance in Indianapolis.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0610/p01s03-usgn.html

Like a scene from the horror movie The Birds, large black grackles are swooping down on downtown Houston and attacking people's heads, hair and backs.

Authorities closed off a sidewalk after the aggressive birds, which can have 2-foot wingspans, flew out of magnolia trees Monday in front of the County Administration Building.

"They were just going crazy," said constable Wilbert Jue, who works at the building. "They were attacking everybody that walked by."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat...s_x.htm?csp=34

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 12:51 PM

I dunno.

You know what's freaky?

All of a sudden my bird started SPEAKING to me!

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 01:17 PM

you have such an awesome bird.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 03:24 PM

A talking bird? The hell you say!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 10, 2005, 03:26 PM

I'm hungry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules