Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Future Mac Purchases

View Poll Results: Whose going to wait on a new Mac now that Apple has changed CPU's.
Poll Options:
Yes, I am going to wait. 35 votes (50.00%)
No, It doesn't matter to me! 35 votes (50.00%)
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll
Future Mac Purchases
Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2005, 03:39 PM

I was planning to purchase a new Mac but have decided to wait until the new migration to the Intel platform is complete.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 04:53 PM

If I needed a system now I would buy one now. However, I have a PM G5 1.8GHz and it does everything I need it to do. When the PMs get updated I will most likely be ready to buy another or if someone releases a processor upgrade I may just go that path.

JMII
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2005, 05:01 PM

Considering the Mac mini and PowerBooks will be the first to switch over you'll be waiting awhile for PowerMac. I'd guess it will be atleast three years before we see a real power-house Intel-based PowerMac that compares to the current dual G5s.

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 05:46 PM

I think people who have new machines now or are about to get new machines are in the best position.

Think of it this way.

Every piece of software for the next 5 years is going to be either A) PPC only, i.e. software that's already around or B) Universal binaries that will run on PPC or Intel.

So if you run out an get an intel machine right when they're released, you're going to be stuck dealing with Rosetta at that point. If you go buy a powermac between now and when the the intels come out, you'll be able to jump the middle point in the transition when everything hasn't been ported yet.

Jive?

So stop worrying about it and go get that sweet mac.

ImpulseResponse

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2005, 10:59 PM

The transition will take awhile, as the other posters have said. I would just go for it, and when 2008 rolls around, you'll have a good excuse to get a new Mac.

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2005, 12:23 AM

I'm getting a new Mac soon. Next couple months.

No sense in waiting.

dparry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2005, 01:26 AM

I'm ready to replace my long-in-the-Sawtooth G4, but I think I will wait to see how Apple deals with the inevitable downturn in sales. I expect a promotional discount or bundle this summer will be forthcoming.

DrBoar
Senior User
Jun 14, 2005, 03:01 AM

My sawtooth with 1.2 GHz G4/ATI8500 will serve me well until 2007, exluding games and other demanding applications. For the price of soem insane upgrading or half the price of a low end G5 tower I can get a PC to use for gaming and some Win only applications.

The G5 came to the stage with a bang but I am afraid it will leave with a whimper.
IBM will have little interest in supplying faster or dual core 970. Apple has a lot of work ahead especially for the extremly important next gen powerbooks so redesigning the tower MB to get PCIe and other improvements, retoling the case to get more HD bays a second optical drive etc is something I hope for but...

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 14, 2005, 08:14 AM

I think those folks who are going to wait are going to be waiting for a lot longer than two years (assuming you are getting a power Mac). Things in tech land have a real bad habit of getting behind schedule. Then there is the delay in getting all the software now available changed over to intel processors. Then the bugs until everything is worked out and working well together.

Just a thought.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 10:31 PM

Just got a dual 2.5. No worries.

willab
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 12:37 AM

I can't decide. I already have a dual 1.8 G5 that I am very happy with. I want to buy a Powerbook also, but I am afraid to do so.
Dual 1.8 GHz G5
PB G4 1.67 GHz

Talleyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2005, 10:06 AM

I'm wating for the sales slowdown, inventorty glut, omg we need to move these machine sale prices and then I'm going to jump...hard!
========================================
http://www.sledgetech.com

PowerMac G4 800/Powerbook G4 Aluminum, 1.25ghz

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it......Steven Wright

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Talleyman
I'm wating for the sales slowdown, inventorty glut, omg we need to move these machine sale prices and then I'm going to jump...hard!
Apple has become a master of inventory management, (except for constraint problems). They're very good about never having too much inventory in the channel, and I'd bet they're ready for a slight down turn in sales. While I'm sure we'll see some better valued machines from Apple in the next year, I don't think I'd hold my breath for any "we're blowing the doors off!" sales.

ImpulseResponse

rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 01:32 PM

Im in this same boat. Id been planing for a G5 powerM this fall/early jan-feb

Ill see whats up then. but 2 + years is a long wait. and Apple andIBM have a two year contract for hardware. so I too hope for a deal on a close to the last PPC maybe a dual!

rotut
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Talleyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2005, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero
Apple has become a master of inventory management, (except for constraint problems). They're very good about never having too much inventory in the channel, and I'd bet they're ready for a slight down turn in sales. While I'm sure we'll see some better valued machines from Apple in the next year, I don't think I'd hold my breath for any "we're blowing the doors off!" sales.
There will be retailers that bought before the big announcement and will not be selling a lot. I'm not waiting for Apple, I'm waiting for CompUSA, ebay, other online retailers.

We'll see...

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 02:09 PM

The third party retailers are contractually bound to sell within $5 of Apple's prices. You may see good bundled deals, like extra ram, printers, or software though. Ebay is probably your best bet.

ImpulseResponse

rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 02:41 PM

re inventory and sales:

http://everythingapple.blogspot.com/

this is the Eug's blog bu it reinforces the notinon that Apple and IBM have an agreement to buy a certain amount of stuff (hareware0 and app must ahve smilialr with motherboards drives and videocard. thats what Im hopping for a lag in sales in about a year and then a better deal on a late PPC

im convinved that waiting for a dual intel after the buitgs shake out will not be revolutionary hardware or software related.

rotuits
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

b11051973
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2005, 03:00 PM

I have a rev A 12" PowerBook. My plan has been to upgrade when Apple came out with a G5. Well, there won't be one of those. So, now I've transferred that to a Mactel.

I had an issue with this about an hour ago. I spilled a glass of water on my desk at work and a little got on my PB. It made me think what would I do if I broke my PB. I guess I've got to have one. So, I'd buy one now and maybe get a rev C Mactel or something.

I also have a Mac mini and don't plan on upgrading that anytime soon. Maybe I'll get a new one in 2 years or so.

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 03:37 PM

I'm down to a Mac Mini.

Already moved my 3d to PC. Prolly long overdue regardless of the Intel transition.

About to get the Adobe Video Collection Pro for PC.

Final Cut is the only app I'll miss, and I do most stuff in After Effects anyhow using FCP to merely assemble stuff and tweak audio.

I may return to the Mac... but I think I'm on the sidelines for a while.

My first mac was a 7100/66.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

Talleyman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2005, 04:08 PM

So, I might go to the mini and then a Mactel PowerMac (whatever they will be called) when the rev 2 machines come out. I don't know. I have an 800mhz sawtooth now. The mini should be faster, but I played with one at the local CompUSA and it didn't seem faster. However, most sites are saying that the "consumer" line will be first to switch to mactel. Maybe wait, get a minitel rev1. Like it matters, the purse string holder is holding on pretty tight.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2005, 05:10 PM

Looking at the current PB's I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade my 1GHz TiBook until the intel PBs come out. I had planned on waiting at least a year to see if the rumored dual core G4s had managed to make their way into the PB line and to assess the likelihood of a G5 portable anyway.

I have a G5 at work and a couple of speedy Athlon 64s at home for any really demanding data crunching anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules