Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Kodak Leaving B+W photography

Kodak Leaving B+W photography
jersey
Senior User
Jun 21, 2005, 11:42 PM

Holy ****.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050615/...ge/kodak_paper

it's really a sad day for all of those that work in a wet darkroom.

I am pretty much at a loss for words.Yes, there are others, but personally, I dont think there papers are that good.

B+W Film cant be too far behind. WIthout Tri-x, I'd have little reason to live.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2005, 11:48 PM

Sad, but doesn't surprise me. All of the remaining paper manufacturers are in trouble, from Ilford to Agfa. Time marches on.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2005, 12:03 AM

Wow.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 12:09 AM

I'm okay as long as Kodak keeps making the film, for paper I always used to use Ilford anyway. I've invested so much in darkroom equipment though, it makes me wonder how soon it will all be worthless.

What kills me though, is how chemical products are discontinued left and right, yet a decent used enlarger still costs about a thousand bucks.

misc
Jun 22, 2005, 05:22 AM

Iford HP5 baby.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

jersey  (op)
Senior User
Jun 22, 2005, 09:42 AM

HP5.....mmmpff......

I really dont think it gets much better than tri-x in acufine, does it?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2005, 09:53 AM

I'm using Ilford only anyway (should say I'm using TETENAL , but actually I don't). Didn't even know Kodak made paper. I don't think it was available in Germany.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by misc
Iford HP5 baby.
Really ? I liked their paper (altough I always used Agfa paper) but I don't really like their films. Tri-X yes, now THAT's a film. But my films of choice right now are TMax 100 and Neopan 400.

I don't print all that much myself anymore. I work semi-digital these days. Shoot on film and make very high resolution scans.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR
I'm okay as long as Kodak keeps making the film, for paper I always used to use Ilford anyway. I've invested so much in darkroom equipment though, it makes me wonder how soon it will all be worthless.

What kills me though, is how chemical products are discontinued left and right, yet a decent used enlarger still costs about a thousand bucks.

supply and demand. little supply less demand.

$$$$$$

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2005, 10:43 AM

A purely business decision. Digital is the wave of the future it seems.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

jersey  (op)
Senior User
Jun 22, 2005, 12:17 PM

yeah, it seems as if the almighty dollar was the catalyst for this decision, which makes it even worse.

personally i really dislike ilford paper, always have. I find its tonal range to seemingly be about a zone less than kodak polymax. granted, i have found ilford paper to give better tonal gradations. i guess its all in what you're looking for in a print.

out of those i have printed for, about 80% insist that i use kodak, so i'm sure this comes as quite a blow to them as well.

plus, now i have to have my students make the transition.....which i'm sure will be unpleasant for all involved.

jersey  (op)
Senior User
Jun 22, 2005, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
...Digital is the wave of the future it seems.
for color, indeed. for b+w, not for a long time. printers (inkjet and /or lightjet) just cant come close to matching a good optical print on a fiberbased paper.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2005, 01:24 PM

Ilford and Forte papers usually... whatever I can get my hands on... don;t give a damn that Kodak is ending production.

Now, if they kill Tmax I will scream bloody ****ing murder!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2005, 02:19 PM

Kodak probably has half a dozen warehouses crammed with enough black & white paper to last 10 years.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2005, 02:41 PM

A sad day indeed. I'm not a huge photographer, but I took a course or two on it in high school, and we used black and white film then. I've still got the camera. I think we used Ilford paper, rather than Kodak, but it's still sad to see a product like that go.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

jersey  (op)
Senior User
Jun 22, 2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by CollinG3G4
Kodak probably has half a dozen warehouses crammed with enough black & white paper to last 10 years.
there paper plant is in brazil, and they have already ceased making paper (essentially rendering the plant useless, but the worst part of all this is the loss of 15000 brazilian jobs) and have made an official statement claiming to have a 6 month supply. so by this time next year,probably sooner, it wont even be on the shelves.

I am seriously contemplating buying a crap-load and keeping in my refrigerator. it'll stay fresh for a decent amount of time that way........

macamac
Baninated
Jun 22, 2005, 03:23 PM

I used to love shooting Tri-X Pan film.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 03:36 PM

I'm sure that some biotech firm will pick up the pieces and then turn around and charge 3x FWIW. A part of my research requires getting the results on film via a wet darkroom.

Forum Links
Forum Rules