Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Feelin' Hot Hot Hot...

Feelin' Hot Hot Hot...
as2
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2005, 11:42 AM

Ok,

So I know lots of people have had fan problems with their iMac G5 computers, from a noise point of view, but I don't think mine are working properly at all!

For example, I'm currently encoding a movie using iDVD and the processor is running flat out.

CPU Temp - 74.1°C and rising
HD Temp - 53.0°C
CPU Fan - 2462 rpm
Hard Drive Fan - 3653 rpm
System Fan - 2717 rpm

Are these kind of values normal?! The processor speed is set to Automatic, but it still seems VERY hot when touching the side and top of the iMac.

The other thing, is there doesn't appear to be any air movement on the left hand side of the iMac as I look at it. I can feel the air moving out of the right hand side, but nothing on the left.

Again, Is this normal?

I'm just worried its going to damage something.

(btw - the CPU temp has gone up more than 2°C in the time it took me to write this!)
( Last edited by as2; Jun 23, 2005 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Typo :()
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Tomacorno
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 23, 2005, 02:08 PM

Get out of your house! That thing is about to blow!

Does seem excessive though. I have been seeing other reports about the hard drives running hot. There is something about it at BareFeats.com now as well.
In your face Milwaukee! - Homer Simpson

Forum Links
Forum Rules