Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Good stock market tracking program?

Good stock market tracking program?
Deception
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 02:32 PM

My dad is about to replace his old PC with a new iMac G5, but the only thing holding him back is the lack of a Mac version of his favorite stock market tracking program. He currently uses Medved's Quotetracker on his PC (www.quotetracker.com), and is quite apprehensive of having to "learn and get used to" another new program on the Mac. I assured him that there are most likely some good (or even better) stock tracking programs for Mac OS, but he's still a little wary.

What are some good stock market tracking/analysis programs for Mac OS? Specifically for Tiger. He wants to monitor his portfolios, and use various tools like trend analysis to track his investments.

A program similar to Quotetracker (www.quotetracker.com) would be ideal.

Any help would be appreciated as I'd love to get him on a Mac.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2005, 02:37 PM

Unfortunately, market software is, along with gaming, one of the few notable weak spots in Mac support.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Bushpk9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 10:20 PM

Not to sure if its what you need but you could use the stock tracker on Dashboard.

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2005, 02:26 AM

Interesting topic - and one which I debate even replying to.

I am never one to log on to a forum and self promote. God knows there's enough mindless, obtrusive advertising in the world but I feel compelled to write in this particular case. Like many of you, I am an active stock trader (or I try to be). Upon switching to OS X, I began looking for an app that would be like the 'iPhoto' of Stock Tracking. In my quest I came across many great apps, and even collaborated with a resident MacNN developer to create one.

Rather than sit here and promote the hell out of it, I figured it would be only fair to suggest numerous applications. In researching ideas for our app, we essentially have tried everything on the market and despite what's been written in this thread, I believe there are good stock apps for the Mac platform - for both simple traders, and wall street mavens.

mTrading - http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/13293
This is a nice program for virtually any trader.

Market Analyst 4.3.5 - http://homepage.mac.com/biggreen/
This is a very powerful program for any hard core trader. It's very robust and has many advanced features.

iStock - http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/9876
This is probably one of the more popular apps out there and for good reason. Very nice and very feature rich. Definitely one of the more popular stock apps.

And finally, though I anticipate being flamed - there is always:
BlueChip - http://www.bluechipx.com

Again, I am only posting this because a.) It was created by MacNN members who met (oddly enough) on these very forums, and b.) because someone mentioned there wasn't much in terms of choices for the platform. I am not one to solicit or sell anyone. In fact BlueChip is completely free to download and try.

Best of luck, and happy trading.
( Last edited by Eyenovation; Jun 24, 2005 at 02:39 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules