Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Any way to get video to PB thru USB?

Any way to get video to PB thru USB?
Radio Code
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2005, 12:46 PM

I skimmed the forums but didn't see anything about this. I just got a 12" PB last week and am anxious to use all the goodies inside. I filmed a wedding for a co-worker this past weekend and want to edit the footage/make a dvd/etc. But the camera I was using was a Sony TVR-460, which only has a USB out, no firewire, and thus I can't import straight into iMovie.

What are my options for getting this footage into my Mac? It'd be easiest just to dump it onto my PC at work and use MovieMaker (I know the camera works with that computer), but I'd MUCH prefer not to do that. Are there any freeware USB video capture programs, or some drivers to install that would recognize the camera? I have a crappy USB video capture module for my PC, that takes RCA inputs, but the quality has never been great and I'm not sure if it's Mac-compatible. Thanks for your help.

konakazi
Jun 27, 2005, 01:59 AM

When you say that it only has "USB out" are you assuming that because of the cord that shipped with your camera? Many camcorders only ship with a USB cable, but you can pick up a 4 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable that will attach to any DV camera and then hook that up to your computer. They range in price from $15 to $50 or so depending on the length of the wire.

Pick one of these up from your local Circuit City or order one from B&H video .

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 11:17 AM

I remember owning a Digital8 camera once and it didn't come with a firewire cable. The TVR-460 has a firewire in/out, Sony calls it i.LINK (maybe that way, they don't have to pay to use the term firewire). You just need a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable, like konakazi said.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2005, 02:42 PM

BTV supports a lot of video devices, including some USB

Forum Links
Forum Rules