Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to copy an audio-cd in Tiger?

How to copy an audio-cd in Tiger?
msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 08:24 PM

So I just bought some new music CD's (Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards, Wishbone Ash - Argus) and went to make duplicates so I could file the originals away.

I figured I would use Disk Utility like usual and could not for the life of me figure out how!

From the Disk Utility Help file:

Duplicating a CD or DVD
You can use Disk Utility to quickly make copies of a CD or DVD and the information it contains.

To do so, first you create a disk image of the CD or DVD. Then you use the disk image to burn copies of the disc.

1. Insert the CD or DVD disc in your computer's optical drive and select it in the list of disks and volumes.
2. Choose File > New > "Disk Image from (name of disc)."
Only problem is the second option is greyed out.

Any other method results in a disk that is not an audio-cd and will not play in cd-players nor in iTunes.

I am beginning to think that Apple may have implemented a change to prevent copying audio CDs. Anybody else noticed this or have any work-arounds?

Thanks!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by msuper69
So I just bought some new music CD's (Uriah Heep - Demons and Wizards, Wishbone Ash - Argus) and went to make duplicates so I could file the originals away.

I figured I would use Disk Utility like usual and could not for the life of me figure out how!

From the Disk Utility Help file:

Only problem is the second option is greyed out.

Any other method results in a disk that is not an audio-cd and will not play in cd-players nor in iTunes.

I am beginning to think that Apple may have implemented a change to prevent copying audio CDs. Anybody else noticed this or have any work-arounds?

Thanks!
You can't make a disk image of an audio CD with Disk Utility. You never could.

A program like Toast could make a bit-for-bit copy, if you really want one.

Or, you could use iTunes to rip the tracks as AIFF files (noncompressed), and then create a playlist with those tracks and burn it back to CD. It's not a bit-for-bit copy, but it will sound identical.

msuper69  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 08:40 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Now that I think about it, I must have used Toast.

My bad. My memory is failing me. If I were a Mac, I'd be kernel panicing.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2005, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
You can't make a disk image of an audio CD with Disk Utility. You never could.

A program like Toast could make a bit-for-bit copy, if you really want one.

Or, you could use iTunes to rip the tracks as AIFF files (noncompressed), and then create a playlist with those tracks and burn it back to CD. It's not a bit-for-bit copy, but it will sound identical.
You could also use Apple Lossless Codec. Then, it will be half as big on the hard drive, and it will sound the same too.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2005, 10:52 PM

Does anyone know how to burn a CD without pauses? Even when I burn a CD with Toast with NO pauses it still has a split second skip when 2 tracks are supposed to blend seamlessly into each other. Does anyone know how I can do this?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
Does anyone know how to burn a CD without pauses? Even when I burn a CD with Toast with NO pauses it still has a split second skip when 2 tracks are supposed to blend seamlessly into each other. Does anyone know how I can do this?
When you rip in iTunes you could join all the tracks together and make it one big audio file. There would be no skips between songs.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2005, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
When you rip in iTunes you could join all the tracks together and make it one big audio file. There would be no skips between songs.
You see... I would do that... but, I kinda wanted the tracks to be separate so I can skip to all the tracks. How do they do it on the master CD when commercial CDs are made? I've tried AIFF files in the past and even that did not work...

Does anyone have any hints?

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 03:20 PM

I don't think iTunes produces a "skip" between tracks.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kristoff
I don't think iTunes produces a "skip" between tracks.
If only the iPod was like this.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 24, 2005, 09:45 PM

Neither Toast nor iTunes gives me a pause between tracks, so long as I have the track break set to 0 seconds.

tooki

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 01:57 AM

Even when I set the crossfade to 0, I still get a very slight hiccup between songs. For instance, if I'm listening to Dark Side of the Moon, the tracks do not flow smoothly from one another such as they would on the record or CD.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
Even when I set the crossfade to 0, I still get a very slight hiccup between songs. For instance, if I'm listening to Dark Side of the Moon, the tracks do not flow smoothly from one another such as they would on the record or CD.
That's what I'm talking about! It's close... but, not seamless

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2005, 03:48 PM

That's what I'm talking about! It's close... but, not seamless
It can't be denied that it's highly annoying.

pabloEskimo
Jun 27, 2005, 08:23 AM

you have to check "disc-at-once" in Toast. that will create an audio cd with seperate tracks without skips/pauze

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 27, 2005, 10:57 AM

Yeah, I can confirm that that works. I always burn disc-at-once.

I know that that works in Toast, because I've used Roxio Jam to make crossfaded mix CDs, and they play absolutely gapless.

tooki

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by pabloEskimo
you have to check "disc-at-once" in Toast. that will create an audio cd with seperate tracks without skips/pauze
Good to know. Thanks for the reply man!

Forum Links
Forum Rules