Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Whats wrong with my PB's screen?

Whats wrong with my PB's screen?
Hani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2005, 04:39 PM

hello all
everytime i start my powerbook, i get an area of dark shade on the left and right side, usually the left side is worse? as seen in the pic. after 2-3 minutes this dark shade is gone and the screen is normal
does anyone know why this happens?
i am scared that later this will happen and will stay there, for now its only the first 2-3 minutes when turning on
thanks

[IMG] [/IMG]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2005, 05:12 PM

I think it's just the screen warming up. Mine does that if it's asleep for a long time.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ibook_steve
Jun 29, 2005, 08:15 PM

As stated, the backlight is just warming up. And you are just putting it to sleep when you want to stop using it, not shutting it down each time, aren't you?

Steve

Hani  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2005, 04:55 AM

i shut it down when im not gonna use it for more than 5 hours, otherwise i just put it to sleep

then as you guys said its just warming up, so im not gonna tell apple about it

ibook_steve
Jun 30, 2005, 08:04 PM

5 hours? Why? Just sleep it unless you're not going to be near the AC adaptor for a while. The machine can survive in sleep without AC for days.

Steve

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hani
hello all
everytime i start my powerbook, i get an area of dark shade on the left and right side, usually the left side is worse? as seen in the pic. after 2-3 minutes this dark shade is gone and the screen is normal
does anyone know why this happens?
i am scared that later this will happen and will stay there, for now its only the first 2-3 minutes when turning on
thanks

[IMG] [/IMG]
Yes, this happens on my PB as well. This is not a problem on my PC laptops, so I guess the PB screens have more problems than only low resolution. The advantage is that the sleep function works for months(without reboot), in contrast to windows sleep, which results in windows death.
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 08:52 AM

Yea, sleep the machine. No harm done, mine's been sleeping ever since I got it 1.5 years ago... Have not seen my screen do that tough...

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 03:40 PM

My TI did that all the time, I'm sure my AL will as it gets older too. Once it warms up, it's never a problem. (Strange that my desktop 20" doesn't. however, and it's 3 years old!)

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2005, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
My TI did that all the time, I'm sure my AL will as it gets older too. Once it warms up, it's never a problem. (Strange that my desktop 20" doesn't. however, and it's 3 years old!)

my 1 year old 12" powerbook continues to have this problem, and it doesn't go away when the computer warms up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules