Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's a Tivo?

What's a Tivo?
rasmusnet
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2005, 11:05 AM

Hi
I know this might seem like a silly question, but since I don't live in the states I'm not familiar with this gadget though I seem to hear about it all the time..
Is it a harddrive-recorder? And how does it work?
I hope some of you gentlemen can explain it, thanks :-)
Bstrgds, Rasmusnet

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 11:26 AM

http://www.tivo.com/

The internet is your friend

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by rasmusnet
Hi
I know this might seem like a silly question, but since I don't live in the states I'm not familiar with this gadget though I seem to hear about it all the time..
Is it a harddrive-recorder? And how does it work?
I hope some of you gentlemen can explain it, thanks :-)
Yes, it's a hard drive recorder, which comes in different sizes and prices. Basically, the device downloads TV listings through a phone line and lets the user choose which shows to record from there. As far as I understand it, you pay a monthly subscription for this service (downloading the TV listing). It also records as you watch, so you may "pause live TV." Typically, you get it bundled with either cable TV or satellite TV, but you can definitely get them separately as well.

See this for more info.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 11:34 AM

I wonder if it works better than that POS that Cox Cable uses...

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
I wonder if it works better than that POS that Cox Cable uses...
Yes.

I've had a standalone TiVo and a DirecTiVo. They're excellent.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 12:29 PM

TiVo is either God's gift to couch potatoes or an evil Satanic plot to sedate the populous. I'm not sure yet.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 12:47 PM

The beauty of TiVo is that it isn't just great for couch potatoes. If you're one of those people who only watches a few shows, TiVo still allows you to enjoy them whenever you want and on your own terms. It's great for anyone who likes anything on TV.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Railroader
Banned
Jul 5, 2005, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
TiVo is either God's gift to couch potatoes or an evil Satanic plot to sedate the populous. I'm not sure yet.
TiVo is God's gift to this second shifter. I actually watch less TV with a TiVo.

karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 01:13 PM

I've got DirecTiVo and love it. With a VCR you've got to be on top of the TV schedule, you've got to know if a show changes nights because of a playoff game or something and change the setting. With TiVo, you can go on vacation and it'll pick up all your shows while your gone, even it they have changed nights or something.

What would be great is if you could phone your TiVo and have it record something for you if you forgot to put it on your to do list.

osxisfun
Jul 5, 2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by karent
I've got DirecTiVo and love it. With a VCR you've got to be on top of the TV schedule, you've got to know if a show changes nights because of a playoff game or something and change the setting. With TiVo, you can go on vacation and it'll pick up all your shows while your gone, even it they have changed nights or something.

What would be great is if you could phone your TiVo and have it record something for you if you forgot to put it on your to do list.

you can do that via a web site. its a feature of the home media option. all you need is a broadband connection and a usb to ethernet adapter.

its works great. (you need to use a web browser not a phone. a phone would be a pain in he ass beyond belief.)

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 01:21 PM

I can do that with my Mac and Alchemy TV card/software via email.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 5, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by rasmusnet
Hi
Hey, location twin

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 02:56 PM

Build your own and run MythTV - no need for monthly subscription.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 02:57 PM

It's a hard disk recorder (also called DVR) with the best user interface, bar none. I won't even think about getting HDTV until there is a cable version of TiVo HD.

It, along with my Mac, are on my shortlist of things that I would immediately replace should they ever go south.

karent
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2005, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
I can do that with my Mac and Alchemy TV card/software via email.
Yeah, maybe, but you can't do that while sitting in a fancy mega dollar restaurant or darkened theatre.

osxisfun
Jul 5, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Amorya
Build your own and run MythTV - no need for monthly subscription.

Amorya

or for less than the price of a mythtv and the pc it needs to run on you can buy a tivo with a lifetime sub.

not knocking mythyv... but there is something to be said for a clean simple attractive solution that does not include building a pc....

osxisfun
Jul 5, 2005, 03:02 PM

BTW:

Special onn Tivos @ lots of places including best buy and amazon..

40hr tivo for $99 and that includes 2 free months of service...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 5, 2005, 03:26 PM

Yeah, maybe, but you can't do that while sitting in a fancy mega dollar restaurant or darkened theatre.
Well, since you aren't allowed mobile phones in most theatres, you wouldn't be able to do it your way there either

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JHromadka

It's a hard disk recorder (also called DVR) with the best user interface, bar none. I won't even think about getting HDTV until there is a cable version of TiVo HD.

It, along with my Mac, are on my shortlist of things that I would immediately replace should they ever go south.
Actually the MS UltimateTV has a much better user interface than Tivo IMO. It did when it first came out and still does now. Too bad MS threw in the towel and stopped making the boxes. As for me, I'll do a DirecTivo only if my UltimateTV box ever decides to crap out on me. And then only if I can't cop a good used one off eBay.

OAW

Amorya
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
or for less than the price of a mythtv and the pc it needs to run on you can buy a tivo with a lifetime sub.

not knocking mythyv... but there is something to be said for a clean simple attractive solution that does not include building a pc....
Well, MythTV is free... and you only need a bare-bones PC plus a TV capture card. I think it's still a lot less than a TiVo.

It's not a solution for everyone, 'cos it does take some tinkering. But having the whole thing running with open source software is the ultimate in flexibility. Want DVD burning? Throw in a DVD-R and download the nuv2disk module. Want to watch streaming video? There's a module for that.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

osxisfun
Jul 5, 2005, 04:52 PM

$399 for lifetime tivo and that includes the box. a person may find a pc and a tv card etc for about the same or less but once they throw in their time then the tivo is cheaper.

I'm not saying myth is a fine solution... for people with lots of time on their hands and that like to build pc stuff its great...

I and most people just want something simple they can turn on and works and is backed by a support system in case something goes bad. (and don't want a PC fan blowing in their living room

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 04:53 PM

Do they have a HD Tivo?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

SVass
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 05:07 PM

Motorola has an HD dvr model 6412 used by Comcast. It has beta software by Microsoft in the Seattle area and simple software elsewhere. It does not work well yet (as is typical for Microsoft products). sam

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 05:07 PM

The only way to get a HD TiVo is through DirecTV. It also costs $700. OUCH!

TiVo needs to wake up and smell the HDTV coffee. They are going to get steamrollered by the competition if they don't get their act together.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 5, 2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín
Hey, location twin
Wondertwin powers, ACTIVATE!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
The only way to get a HD TiVo is through DirecTV. It also costs $700. OUCH!

TiVo needs to wake up and smell the HDTV coffee. They are going to get steamrollered by the competition if they don't get their act together.
What a rip off. I can get the new HD PVR from my sat provider with a 160 gig drive and output for 2 tv's at the same time for under $600 CAN.

http://www.bell.ca/shop/62129.details

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
What a rip off. I can get the new HD PVR from my sat provider with a 160 gig drive and output for 2 tv's at the same time for under $600 CAN.

http://www.bell.ca/shop/62129.details
My friends have HDTV thru Time Warner, and the HD PVR that comes with it is one of the most user-unfriendly things I have ever used. No 30 sec skip, no stepping back a few seconds when you stop fast-forwarding, and if you're watching something recorded and something new comes on to record, it exits out of what you're doing and you have to go back into the recording again.

That's why I said "I won't even think about getting HDTV until there is a cable version of TiVo HD."

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2005, 08:55 PM

What should happen to threads whose parent question is answered?
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2005, 09:04 PM

you can do that via a web site. its a feature of the home media option. all you need is a broadband connection and a usb to ethernet adapter.

its works great. (you need to use a web browser not a phone. a phone would be a pain in he ass beyond belief.)
i wish ReplayTV had that

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Wondertwin powers, ACTIVATE!

Form of: A DVR!

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 5, 2005, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
i wish ReplayTV had that
It does: http://www.myreplaytv.com

Montezuma58
Senior User
Jul 5, 2005, 11:17 PM

$399 for lifetime tivo and that includes the box. a person may find a pc and a tv card etc for about the same or less but once they throw in their time then the tivo is cheaper.
It's $50 - $100 for the DirecTV version of Tivo with $5/month for service or $0/month if you subscribe to the highest tier of programming. And that's per account not per unit. There's hardly any financial incentive to roll your own.

I'm not saying myth is a fine solution... for people with lots of time on their hands and that like to build pc stuff its great...

I and most people just want something simple they can turn on and works and is backed by a support system in case something goes bad. (and don't want a PC fan blowing in their living room
My two current DirecTivos have been running continuously for 19 months except for a few small power outages. Prior to that I had two ReplayTVs and a standalone Tivo in continuous service for two years. You just can't get that sort of reliability from a PVR built from a general purpose computer. If you're into tinkering there are plenty of cool things to dork around with on the off the shelf PVRs from ReplayTV and Tivo.

Seattle
Jul 6, 2005, 12:25 AM

I have a HTPC (SageTV), Two ReplayTVs and 9 TiVos. The TiVo is by far the favorite PVR. The HTPC has to be rebooted once every couple of days. the Replays every couple of weeks and the TiVos only reboot with software updates or power outages.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2005, 12:37 AM

Only because I can.

Forum Links
Forum Rules