Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac problems with monitor

iMac problems with monitor
Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2001, 06:48 PM

I have an iMac 500 Mhz Indigo Early 2001 slotloading

and since today suddenly yhe screen in my right corner is a bit 'shaking, flickering (don't know if this is good english)', only in resolution 1024 x 768

other resolutions, no problems,
other colors, and resolution 1024 x 768; problems

what to do?
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2001, 06:54 PM

osx or os9? I noticed osx to flicker more than os9. Beats me why. Did you place anything electrical and/or magnetic near the monitor. Do you have your imacs speakers turned up too loud? Do you have the soundsticks, since i know they do that if theyre too close? If it's just in the corner, then it's coming from something outside the computer, and is highly unlikely to be hardware failure.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2001, 07:17 PM

yah, I have a little fan at my desk that will make my screan go crazy...

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2001, 07:37 PM

os 9
no magnetical things
no soundsicks

iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

<vmarks>
Oct 29, 2001, 08:08 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jerommeke:
<strong>os 9
no magnetical things
no soundsicks

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Do you know if your iMac has the LG screen or the CPT screen? the LG seems to be prone to failure (although no Apple rep will admit it.)

<small>[ 07-09-2002, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: vmarks ]</small>

<wiggles>
Oct 29, 2001, 10:29 PM

Looks like your screwed!

May a recommend a Dell Dimension 4300?

Mine makes for a great space heater!

For $143 less than an iMac, you can get:

3 years of support(and with the Dell, you'll need it)

NICE Harman Kardon speakers (mine sounds like a jet airplane taking off, so you need really big speakers to even hope to hear mp3s)

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: vmarks ]

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2001, 10:42 PM

I just can't think why it would be messed up in just one corner. Exactly how big is the section where it happends and is it near the corner or right on it? It's just weird the problem would start like that. Only in 1024 huh? Tough for me to look at that on an imac monitor. Could be related to that analog board an the Green light of death thing. Screen failures, however on the imacs seem pretty rare. I've had no problems like that on either of my two imacs. 266 revc and 400dvse. I doubt it's something wrong with the crt itself, more likely a component such as the analog board/video card that could be messed up. This is my diagnosis, although vmarks probably knows more than the both of us combined about imac hardware, and he says it's the screen itself. He might know more specifics.

Hate to make you mad but:
AGain, make sure that it's not something external. I mean sometimes it can be what you would least expect. Pencil sharpeners even, or anything containing a magnet, when active can wreak havok on any monitor. Even electronic components such as recievers, tabletop radios, tvs, and just about anything you can think of can haphazardly emit a signal that will effect the performance of your monitor.

Cooter
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2001, 10:48 PM

wiggles: wanker.
"People who sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Benjamin Franklin

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2001, 10:51 PM

yeah wiggles and then it will break every two months and thy'll have to put some crackpot POS pc hardware in it each time

and then once your 3 years is up

well then it will break

and then that will be the end of it!

end of story

And do us a favor next time, post a new forum next time you want to rant and rave so that one of the moderators can lock it and it wont' get in the way of a serous forum like this.

Maybe you had a problem before. But quite frankly i dont' care. So don't go harrassing people in these forums, looking for someone to console your purchase of a pc.

<wiggles>
Oct 29, 2001, 11:15 PM

This post has been removed due to its offensive nature.

Vmarks

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: vmarks ]

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 02:34 AM

nope, I really have nu idea what type of monitor it is... apple system profiler really says nothin about it.... it is a model bought in the netherlands, that's the only thing I can say....

the area over which it 'irritates' is about an area of let's say 9 cm2 in the almost down right corner......

apple hardware test gave no problems

and I don't need speakers

and I got one speaker near to my computer, but before today it was really no problem and this thing is standing there for months, really

the spaker is directed to an other side of the room, so i don't think that is the problem

and to make the problem more weird: I noticed it functions normal on some colors, and doesn';t work properly on other colors

1024 x 768 is preferred to me, coz 800 x 600 seems to be tooo tiny and small

Indigo Boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2001, 10:38 AM

Since your iMac is still pretty new, you may just need to take it in to get checked out under warranty.

But screen interference is usually from a magnetic or electrical source, as others have already pointed out.

Good luck to you!

[ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Indigo Boy ]

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2001, 10:51 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jerommeke:
<strong>nope, I really have nu idea what type of monitor it is... apple system profiler really says nothin about it.... it is a model bought in the netherlands, that's the only thing I can say....

the area over which it 'irritates' is about an area of let's say 9 cm2 in the almost down right corner......

apple hardware test gave no problems

and I don't need speakers

and I got one speaker near to my computer, but before today it was really no problem and this thing is standing there for months, really

the spaker is directed to an other side of the room, so i don't think that is the problem

and to make the problem more weird: I noticed it functions normal on some colors, and doesn';t work properly on other colors

1024 x 768 is preferred to me, coz 800 x 600 seems to be tooo tiny and small </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Even though it worked for months, can I ask you to move the speaker away from the computer? Direction matters, but proximity is important- the magnet of the speakers affects the CRT tube as it draws on the screen. Move the speaker and it could get better.

I still think this could be related to your CRT, and wish I knew which was used in the manufacture of your iMac.

<small>[ 07-09-2002, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: vmarks ]</small>
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2001, 11:24 AM

My Slot-Loading iMacs Monitor wiggle a bit when I put in soume CDs... like the Diable 2 play CD.

is there a Vibration update for slotloading iMacs like there was for my Rev A after it came out?

-Owl

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 11:39 AM

ok i'll move my iMac

I'll tell you lateron if the problems are gone

indeed, I also thought about my warranty and I have also mailed the dealer where I bought my mac

Jerommeke  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2001, 12:08 PM

ok, I know put it away somewhere from my speaker, it seems like the problems have been gone

now another question

is it usual to see a light white space along the right side of the monitor in the part which looks like those mac os x-backgrounds ?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2001, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
<STRONG>My Slot-Loading iMacs Monitor wiggle a bit when I put in soume CDs... like the Diable 2 play CD.

is there a Vibration update for slotloading iMacs like there was for my Rev A after it came out?

-Owl</STRONG>
Vibration of the CDROM is not related to wiggling of the video image. These are two separate and unlrelated things, and there is no CDROM firmware update for yours that I know of.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2001, 02:58 PM

<strong>ok, I know put it away somewhere from my speaker, it seems like the problems have been gone

now another question

is it usual to see a light white space along the right side of the monitor in the part which looks like those mac os x-backgrounds ?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">If you mean, is it unusual to see light behind the plastic border of the screen, the answer is yes. This is unusual.

<small>[ 07-09-2002, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: vmarks ]</small>

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 30, 2001, 07:07 PM

is it usual to see a light white space along the right side of the monitor in the part which looks like those mac os x-backgrounds ?
I'm not sure i understand what you're talking about. Please be more clear on what the problem is.

also
yeah i figured it was magnetic interference. Higher resolutions are probably more vulnerable to interference, and that's why it was only a problem on 1024.
Hopefully no serous damage has been done. Seems like it wasn't interfering too significantly so you should be allright.
glad all is well... except for the other problem...
please post back so we can help you

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2001, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>

Vibration of the CDROM is not related to wiggling of the video image. These are two separate and unlrelated things, and there is no CDROM firmware update for yours that I know of.</STRONG>
Then why does it wiggle when I put in some CDs? I hear a hell of alot of noise from the CDs that "seem" to make the monitor wiggle slightly.

-Owl

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: OwlBoy ]

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2001, 11:03 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by OwlBoy:
<strong>

Then why does it wiggle when I put in some CDs? I hear a hell of alot of noise from the CDs that "seem" to make the monitor wiggle slightly.

-Owl

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: OwlBoy ]</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Let me clarify a little:

CD vibration is, the CD is shaking in the drive, you can feel physical vibration if you put your hand near the drive on your computer.

The only possibility here is that the monitor is picking up either magnetic interference from the motor of the CD drive (shouldn't happen, the drive is shielded pretty well) or the drive really is vibrating enough to shake the heck out of the CRT. If this is the case, you ought to be able to put your hand on the screen (lightly so you aren't damping the vibration) and see if you feel it.

let me know if this is what you're talking about.

<small>[ 07-09-2002, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: vmarks ]</small>

Forum Links
Forum Rules