Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > syncing w/o .mac?

syncing w/o .mac?
Markarian421
Jul 12, 2005, 12:34 AM

I've had a mac for about two years now, but now I have two, so this is a newbie question. Is there am easy/moslt automated way to sync address book and other iSync supported apps between computers without .Mac?
Known to cause insanity in laboratory mice

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 01:37 AM

Syncing is one of the most prized features of .Mac, which you can typically snag for about $70/year. Because you want this feature, I'd just bite the bullet and get .Mac. There are specialized alternatives for calendar syncing and such (I think...), but .Mac is just so good at doing what you want.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 07:32 PM

If you have a fixed IP address on both machines then you can just use RSync. I use it to keep my home Mac and Work mac synced up in terms of my MP3's.

cscade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 08:11 PM

iCal can also sync to any WebDAV enabled webserver, AFAIK. I say this only because I researched and set up the same functionality in Mozilla Sunbird on windows earlier today, and ran across a great deal of mac info in the process.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2005, 11:55 AM

Bookmarks Synchronizer lets you synchronize bookmarks with Firefox, unfortunately not with Safari.

http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/booksync

It does a good job.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules