Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes 4.9 on 10.4.2 freezing

iTunes 4.9 on 10.4.2 freezing
QNational
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2005, 11:23 AM

Hi all,

I've a got a problem with iTunes 4.9 freezing in OS 10.4.2 so badly that I can't force quit the application or even force quit the process in Activity Viewer. The system can't log out because iTunes is hung so the only option is a forced restart. This is a clean install of Tiger and its happening in two accounts on the same machine the exact same way with two different iTunes libraries.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Patrick

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2005, 01:13 PM

I have the same problem. It happens occasionally when I start iTunes. The process becomes a zombie and I need to do a hard restart. I haven't had the time to look into it (not even the logs), but I would like to find out.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2005, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by QNational
Hi all,

I've a got a problem with iTunes 4.9 freezing in OS 10.4.2 so badly that I can't force quit the application or even force quit the process in Activity Viewer. The system can't log out because iTunes is hung so the only option is a forced restart. This is a clean install of Tiger and its happening in two accounts on the same machine the exact same way with two different iTunes libraries.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Patrick
When you're in that situation, have you tried sudo shutdown -r now from the Terminal instead of a reset? It may not work, but it's worth a try. (Oh, you probably should have a Terminal window open all the time, just in case you need to issue the command. I know that once a system gets hung with a zombie process, it starts hanging all subsequent launches.) I would advise you to a) reinstall iTunes and, if that fails, b) Archive and Install.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules