Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Well, Mac has got me converted :)

Well, Mac has got me converted :)
TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2005, 06:31 PM

So, my powerbook 15 incher arrived today, and I have to say I'm really enjoying OS X tiger. It truely is a superior operating system to Windows XP (what I've been using the last few years). I was a little worried about not having tool bar, but this expose deal works exceptionally well. I don't intend to pay PC's a visit anytime soon now.

osxisfun
Jul 19, 2005, 06:48 PM

also checkout versiontracker.com for free and shareware apps.

and getyourself Netnewswire for RSS feed.

and your powerbook came with 2 great apps from omni, omnigraffle and omnioutliner.

Congrats.

travisimo
Jul 19, 2005, 07:08 PM

i read this and laughed, i'm a bfa in broadcast and i've used pc's all my life, for graduation i asked for a laptop, just a laptop, nothing specific. a few days after my party a 17" powerbook arrives on my door. I didn't know what to do, i had always HATED macs, it was a learned behaviour, like racisim haha. So regaurdless of it being a mac or not it was a BIG ASS super nice laptop, so i tore it open and i also am now fully converted. I've been looking to sell my beast of a pc for a dual 2.5 g5 to run motion and shake better. everything that apple does just completly owns the pc equivelant. so i thought i would share my newly found love for apple.

btw, i've only been on this forum for a little while but it's awesome so thanks for having this great resource guys.

trav

Fusion
Senior User
Jul 19, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by travisimo
i read this and laughed, i'm a bfa in broadcast and i've used pc's all my life, for graduation i asked for a laptop, just a laptop, nothing specific. a few days after my party a 17" powerbook arrives on my door. I didn't know what to do, i had always HATED macs, it was a learned behaviour, like racisim haha. So regaurdless of it being a mac or not it was a BIG ASS super nice laptop, so i tore it open and i also am now fully converted. I've been looking to sell my beast of a pc for a dual 2.5 g5 to run motion and shake better. everything that apple does just completly owns the pc equivelant. so i thought i would share my newly found love for apple.

btw, i've only been on this forum for a little while but it's awesome so thanks for having this great resource guys.

trav
haha, good convert story. Someone must love you very much.

gdw-mac
Jul 19, 2005, 10:40 PM

I too have been a PC man all my life, but a couple of days ago a freind of mine offered to sell me a PowerBook g4 500Mhz and I thought what the hell. I LOVE it, I have 10.2.8 but will be upgradeing to X 10.4 soon. I wanna play with the widgets. Can anyone sugest any place to get free, shareware and even more software I saw the previouse link, but want more.

I could not belive how easy it was to learn how to use this machine, the last Mac that I touched was a Mac Classic Boy was that a beast. My best freind is a Mac head, and we have always been at odds with the machines, I swore to him that I would NEVER get one, well I called him last night and told him, all I heard from the other end of the phone was (I belive) him pee'n on himself laughing.

I too am a new one here, and like it. Will be back more and more.

George

osxisfun
Jul 19, 2005, 10:51 PM

macupdate.com

congrats!

jaydon34
Senior User
Jul 19, 2005, 10:52 PM

yes macs are your friends. Cant wait to see an ibook with an intel processor. Thats when apple begins to take over the market. It will be a dual-booting monster. And I will be the first on line.
myflickr : mytwitter : twentyonethirty
17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz 4gb 200GB HD: 8gb Iphone 3g: Hp Mini 1000 Netbook

powerbook911
Jul 19, 2005, 11:13 PM

Yes, finding the Mac world is a positive indeed.

Today, marks one year, since my return to the Mac world. The first Mac I ever bought, arrived at my door, one year ago this morning. It was an iBook G4 that i ordered from Apple.com, shortly after the 100 million song promotion. I had hoped to win the Powerbook, when I didn't, I wanted a Mac so bad, I bought the iBook.

I thought I might still use my PC about 50 percent of the time, but I found myself using the iBook about 95 percent of the time. In January, only six or seven months after buying the iBook, I sold the iBook, and bought the newest 12-inch Powerbook. It was a good upgrade! Furthermore, I now had fantastic output options, so I ordered a cinema display the next week, and that really put me over the top. I love computing experience now. It is so much fun, and my computing experience had not been this much fun, since the first computer I had in my home, a Mac I borrowed, during the middle 90s. However, after the owner returned the fall of that year, I went out and bought a PC because the salesman on the electronic store floor told me Macs sucked, and I didn't know much at the time. I'm finally back in the Macintosh world, where I started, and it is very good indeed. One year I've been back, and it has been a great year, with several iPods as well! Not only do I look forward to using my computer, reading about Apple news, but I also love how productive I am, with the Mac.
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2005, 12:19 AM

Yeah... I totally agree.... I got my new 12'' PB today and I don't know how I got along with Windows for so long... goodbye, PCs!

Alezone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2005, 12:21 AM

^^^ The kind of Passion™ you will never find in the PC world.
"You don't lead by hitting people over the head... that's assault, not leadership."

kymacman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2005, 07:45 PM

Same here. I returned to Mac with the purchase of my 15" PB in February. Although it hasn't been perfect (logic board failure repaired under warranty) I am nonetheless pleased beyond all expectations. Prior to that, I had been using Windows XP for several years. Love OS 10.4.2 and won't go back to WXP unless I have to.

TFunkadelic  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2005, 10:31 PM

just how long does it take for the logic board to fail? aka how long till I can feel like I'm in the clear?

kymacman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2005, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by TFunkadelic
just how long does it take for the logic board to fail? aka how long till I can feel like I'm in the clear?
Mine went out 4 months after purchase.

Steve

El Maestro
Jul 21, 2005, 12:24 PM

I'm almost at six months since my switch to a 17" 1.67 PB.

I LOVE it. I added another gig of RAM and my system is now very fast. I'll never, ever, go back to Windows. I even convinced my new employer to buy me a 20" iMac!

typerlover
Jul 21, 2005, 01:05 PM

I had a 12" PB that I rarely used. Spent most of my time on my built pc with 2005fpw dell monitor. Then I sold the 12" and got a 15" and now really can enjoy using the OS finally having some screen room. I'm switched as well.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 01:16 AM

Widgets are super fun. A lot of smart people are making very fun and handy widgets.

Forum Links
Forum Rules