Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5 Sleep Light Update 1.0 out!

iMac G5 Sleep Light Update 1.0 out!
dpfenninger
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2005, 06:52 PM

"The iMac G5 Sleep Light Update adjusts the brightness of your iMac G5 sleep indicator light so it's not as bright during the evening. The daytime brightness remains the same.

This update is installed in Applications > Utilities and should automatically launch. Click Update and follow the onscreen instructions to apply the update.

Note: Once the update has started, do not cancel or interrupt it. The updater takes over one minute to complete. During the update, your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes."

Just FYI...installing now.

dpfenninger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2005, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by dpfenninger
"The iMac G5 Sleep Light Update adjusts the brightness of your iMac G5 sleep indicator light so it's not as bright during the evening. The daytime brightness remains the same.

This update is installed in Applications > Utilities and should automatically launch. Click Update and follow the onscreen instructions to apply the update.

Note: Once the update has started, do not cancel or interrupt it. The updater takes over one minute to complete. During the update, your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes."

Just FYI...installing now.
Hmmm...doesn't automatically launch like it says. AND if you try to manually launch it, it shows up in the Dock for a split second and then quits.

Relaunching Software Update causes it to show again too. Odd update. You may want to avoid it until further reports come in.

This IS for rev. A iMacs, correct?

Oedipax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 12:04 AM

Yeah, I just installed it on my rev. A, so hopefully it's right. I had the same thing happen with it not auto-launching and then it quitting in the dock. I haven't tried sleep mode yet.

Edit: Hmm, doesn't seem to have changed anything.

Goofas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Oedipax
Yeah, I just installed it on my rev. A, so hopefully it's right. I had the same thing happen with it not auto-launching and then it quitting in the dock. I haven't tried sleep mode yet.

Edit: Hmm, doesn't seem to have changed anything.
It worked fine on my rev a.

dpfenninger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 11:44 AM

Not that this is a critical install or anything, but I'm surprised more people haven't responded about this...or that no other Mac news agency (MacNN included) has reported this.

Come on guys, anyone else have any success, or otherwise, installing this?

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 02:31 PM

my sleep light is always very dim...when i got my imac it was always bright but then my logic board broke and they replaced it ever since i got it from repairs its been extremely dim...i dont know if t his is good or bad? Also since the light is dim when it is dark and my imac is on around the light is like t his ugly stain embedded inside so i dont know if i should install the update b/c i dont want my light to get more screwed up...is there some settings on my mac that i can make the light more bright?

tonyibook
Jul 22, 2005, 02:41 PM

It installed fine on my revision A iMac G5. My machine restarted, installed the firmware update (loud fans) and then told me I had to shut down the iMac and manually restart it.

When I set the time to 11:45 PM and put the iMac to sleep the light had a much reduced brightness.
( Last edited by tonyibook; Jul 23, 2005 at 10:27 AM. )

Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by dpfenninger
Hmmm...doesn't automatically launch like it says. AND if you try to manually launch it, it shows up in the Dock for a split second and then quits.

Relaunching Software Update causes it to show again too. Odd update. You may want to avoid it until further reports come in.

This IS for rev. A iMacs, correct?
Exact same problem with my Rev A iMac.

Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2005, 06:04 PM

And Software Update has downloaded it 3 different times for me. Something very strange is going on...

Oedipax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2005, 06:53 PM

I downloaded it a second time and this time it asked me to restart. It worked fine then.

dpfenninger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2005, 11:47 PM

OK...I decided after the second "install" of the updater, to try rebooting, to see if that kicks it into gear. Nope, nothing. So I ran Software Update for a third time, and it showed up again, this time indicating a restart was required (the first two times it didn't indicate that). So it installed, rebooted, and launched after the reboot...clicked update in the app, fans revved up, and then it finished, indicating it needed to shut down. Shut down, and then started up again.

Upon testing, I don't see much of a difference. Then again, my iMac is in the den, so it doesn't bother me at night like people who have it in their bed room, I suppose.

<edit: upon further inspection, I do see that it is indeed softer than it was before...a neat update on Apple's part, IMO>

Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2005, 12:05 AM

5 attempted Software Update downloads and it still hasn't installed. I wonder what's wrong...

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 25, 2005, 01:27 PM

Worked at the second attempt for me when i ran it this morning. Will feedback tomorrow on any noticeable difference.
KRO
Ali P

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by
5 attempted Software Update downloads and it still hasn't installed. I wonder what's wrong...
I'm not sure, but if you have a Rev B iMac I don't think it installs.

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2005, 01:30 AM

Can now report that it works fine and is actually a welcome addition as my mac is in my lounge.
KRO
Ali P

Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dale Sorel
I'm not sure, but if you have a Rev B iMac I don't think it installs.
I don't - 20" 1.8Ghz. And it still hasn't installed yet after having tried every day (every time my software update runs it shows it as an available update).

Parky
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2005, 06:45 PM

I had to reboot my machine before I could get the updater to run.

But since then it has been working fine with the 'dimmed' LED

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Forum Links
Forum Rules