Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > office suites

office suites
res86
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2005, 04:57 PM

Hi. I'm trying to determine what office suite I should go with for my iMac DV 450, I mostly will be doing word processing and presentations for school. Was thinking about iWork or MS Office 2004, I can't really decide though.

What do you all use for that sort of thing, input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

outsourced
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2005, 05:20 PM

Use your student discount and get Office. (Wow. I said that even considering my personal feelings toward MS. But, hey: It's a Mac product at least.)

The open source stuff NeoOffice, OpenOffice just won't run very smoothly on your setup.
Did Schroedinger's cat think outside the box?

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 27, 2005, 05:54 PM

And post questions about applications in the Applications forum... Office suites are software, after all. What could possibly be iMac-specific about an office suite?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mindwaves
Jul 27, 2005, 11:49 PM

It depends what operating system you are running. The iMac DV 450 came out in 2000 so it is OS 9 preinstalled on it so if you are still running that, I would suggest Office 2001 (Word, Powerpoint). If you are running OS X, either Office 2001 or Office 2004 will be ok. I don't really suggest Keynote/iWork on that mac because it might run a little slow and Appleworks is outdated.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2005, 02:46 AM

Wait you don't want to recommend Pages because it'd be slow... but you're recommend Word? What were you going to suggest next that he jab a fork in his eye?

Pages and Keynote as far as I've seen are much snappier than Word and PowerPoint respectively. That said are these presentations from your iMac, or another Mac? The computer you present on will need keynote installed if you're going to use Keynote files.
IF you're already used to Word then you might want it. Pages does not have as many dumb features, but I have yet to have it really give me any problems in what I needed to use it for, IE writing papers for school and doing my own poetry and stuff like that. IT's actually really good as a page layout program.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 28, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
...because it'd be slow...
It's all RAM-dependent in OS X. With more RAM, nothing is particularly slow. I can't say anything about OS 9, but in Panther I've found that more RAM makes everything faster. And with 640MB on an 800MHz iBook, Word is not at all slow.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mindwaves
Jul 28, 2005, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
Wait you don't want to recommend Pages because it'd be slow... but you're recommend Word? What were you going to suggest next that he jab a fork in his eye?

Pages and Keynote as far as I've seen are much snappier than Word and PowerPoint respectively. That said are these presentations from your iMac, or another Mac? The computer you present on will need keynote installed if you're going to use Keynote files.
IF you're already used to Word then you might want it. Pages does not have as many dumb features, but I have yet to have it really give me any problems in what I needed to use it for, IE writing papers for school and doing my own poetry and stuff like that. IT's actually really good as a page layout program.
Uhhh...Pages has a higher system requirements than Word believe it or not...

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobu...req#office2004

http://www.apple.com/iwork/ (BOTTOM OF PAGE)

Forum Links
Forum Rules